Philips Fidelio L2
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #932 of 1,146
@Head1 and @Gugman

The L2 is not their Flagship to begin with.

The X2 is.

I sold my X2 and kept the L2...go figure...

Cheers.

Yeah I know, I did not say L2 was a flagship :wink: I did say that I hoped for a new flagship with L2's improved things and its original price, the fact that you sold X2 and kept L2 says a lot

Cheers

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #933 of 1,146

hmm, but I did not mean that Philips should go to 1000 either :)

what I meant is that I was simply hoping that Philips could release next flagship still with L2 ' s MSRP or a bit higher , but with sound quality that could beat every headphone under 1K, as L2 already proved that it is a possible thing  with some small improvements here and there

Apologies, I understand you now and agree with what you say. Even though X2 is the top of the line I feel the L2 is more competitive in its class against the likes of the momentum 2.0 etc. Whereas the X2 is up against HD600 which is harder task especially with the release of the lower priced Massdrop HD6XX.

There was a thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/832237/no-fidelio-x3-but-philips-ces-2017

that linked a video on Philips latest headphones at CES 2017  but it doesn't look good.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #934 of 1,146
No need for a apologies at all. After checking your link once again I have to say how pity it is that most probably we wont be getting any better headphones from them any time soon

Cheers

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #937 of 1,146
So I finally changed my pads from my L2 and it's working fine on him. I'm just waiting for another pair of pads (velour) to listen if there is any great difference between leather and velour in sound signature. Now I can easily change my pads, I'm really relieved now. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #938 of 1,146
So I finally changed my pads from my L2 and it's working fine on him. I'm just waiting for another pair of pads (velour) to listen if there is any great difference between leather and velour in sound signature. Now I can easily change my pads, I'm really relieved now. :bigsmile_face:

Please post pictures! :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #939 of 1,146
Does anyone have any experiences with the Fidelio L2 with the Creative X7 DAC?  I have also been looking at Grado, specifically the SR225E headphones - how do they compare to the Fidelios?

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #941 of 1,146
Ok, here is a picture with the new pads! I'm waiting for my velour pads from Brainwavz, I will change them time to time since now it's easier to do this.

Wow those look nice! Do you have a link where I can purchase these and the velours you have on the way? I've been hesitant to buy brainwavs pads because the L2's pads seem smaller in dimensions compared to others. Kind of like the ATH-M50 pads.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #942 of 1,146
  Does anyone have any experiences with the Fidelio L2 with the Creative X7 DAC?  I have also been looking at Grado, specifically the SR225E headphones - how do they compare to the Fidelios?

Don't have the Creative DAC but I do use both the Philips Fidelio L2 and the Grado SR225, non-E version.

The L2 definitely offers more isolation, being semi-open, rather than fully open like the Grado, so the sonic signature is quite different.

Both have excellent detail, but the L2 is much better for bass and, overall, has a more balanced sound, IMO.

If you appreciate treble, airiness and pure accuracy, the Grados really do excel. If you prefer an extended bass that you can feel and want to get into music rather than analyze it, the L2 is likely a better choice.

I find the L2s to be more comfortable and enjoyable in extended listening, but I pick up the Grados when I want to examine a mix. I characterize the Grados as being the equivalent of studio monitors (and that is what I use them for often enough,) and the Fidelio L2s as very good substitutes for immersive floor standing speakers. Each is excellent for their intended purpose but the purpose is quite different. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #943 of 1,146
Thanks for answering my question, it looks like the L2 and Grados are rather contrasting headphones - I'm looking to use them for gaming, when I got the creative DAC, it made me abundantly aware of the sonic failings of my old gaming headset. So I have a modmic on, and i'm just after a pair of decent headphones to use it with. However i'm aware that with open backed headphones having a mic so close to them may be an issue. I figured an open back pair might have an advantage regarding imaging and soundstage width compared to closed back headphones.

I'm more partial to the L2's - I have seen reviews of them and their construction quality is very impressive. The Grados are said to be very good in that regard too, however there are complaints the stock earpads and the stiff headband get uncomfortable during long listening hours.

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #944 of 1,146
I have L2 for couple of months and still like them a lot. Since March I used them mainly with phones (iP 6s Plus and Note 4). But now I have geek out 720 and must say that L2 is a great companion for Geek Out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back