Philips Fidelio L2
Jul 6, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #976 of 1,146
How does the L2 bass compare with the hd598? I was seriously looking at the x2(like damn near clicking place order) but were talking 150 dollar difference and if the x2 isnt worth 150 more than L2 i would hate to spend it.
I think the more important question is this: which is more important to you, portability or overall best sound? If you are NEVER going to do anything but lay back and listen to your music at home, plugged into an amp. Then the X2s are better (You have an amp, right?
But, if you don't already have an amp, or if you want to enjoy your music on the go, get the L2s and a set of the Brainwazv pads and a portable amp like the Fiio A3. That's what I have and it has a ton of very accurate Bass.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #977 of 1,146
How does the L2 bass compare with the hd598? I was seriously looking at the x2(like damn near clicking place order) but were talking 150 dollar difference and if the x2 isnt worth 150 more than L2 i would hate to spend it.

I prefer the sonic balance of the L2 over the darker sound of the x2. What makes the x2 impressive is that they sound much more open (they are fully open backed) and detailed while having the amount of tight bass and overall smoothness that they have. Just physically that is hard to achieve. I like the x2 but the sound signature just isn't for me - maybe just because I'm so used to the L2.

At it's current price the L2 is an absolute steal. I don't know your budget, sonic preferences, nor experience in the headphone world so I can't just make a recommendation, but personally I would know something better to do with 150 bucks.

EDIT: As for the 598, they are more open sounding but in most other areas I prefer the l2

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #980 of 1,146

Wow! That's an incredible deal. I'm going to have to call my credit card company and get a price match credited for $12.00. I paid $79.99 for mine 2 weeks ago from Woot.

Speaking of Woot, they're selling the L2 again for $79.99 and if you use Amazon Pay, and use coupon code AMAZON, it'll knock $8.00 off the price. But the Newegg deal makes this irrelevant.

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/philips-headphones-2?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_elec_5_1

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #982 of 1,146
Currently enjoying Harold Budd The White Arcades album. My goodness do these L2's purr with ambient and minimalism music. The sonic depth of these cans is astounding and this is directly plugged into my 2012 Dell XPS 13 laptop headphone jack. No EQ. No DSP. No external amp/dac since I do not own one. But they still sing beautifully, in my humble opinion. Love 'em!

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #983 of 1,146
Definitely punchier and deeper, tighter, faster, just an overall better bass unless you prefer a slower thicker bass. X2 has considerably more though but I believe the L2 has better definition.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #984 of 1,146
Wish prices here in the Netherlands were as low. Cheapest for me is to buy in Germany for €187. L2 is on my wishlist.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #985 of 1,146
Just received these from Newegg yesterday for $68 and, good gravy, these things are simply astounding at that price. I think they have a touch too much treble but they have shockingly full and tight bass. Need more time with them but for now they've displaced my SHP9500S from my table.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #986 of 1,146
Due to my inexperience with good sounding headphones and audiophile terminology in general, I'm curious what sound signature the L2 falls under? If someone were to ask you what the L2 sound signature was, what would you tell them?

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #989 of 1,146
If only I'd come across this thread a couple of weeks ago. Would've snapped it instantly. :frowning2:
I have a set already, but every time I see them go below $100, I'm really sad because I keep just missing them. For $70.00 it's a no brainer.

Jul 29, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #990 of 1,146
I hadn't read the Golden Ear's review of the L2 until recently and thought this was interesting courtesy of this link: http://en.goldenears.net/30375

Does anyone else here agree with that reviewer's interpretation of the L2's sound characteristics in the chart below?

8nIpM.png

eM4hT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back