Philips Fidelio L2
Jul 29, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #993 of 1,146
Sound is sensation as well as measurement. While we strive for accuracy, we respond to emphasis.

Golden Ears makes a valiant effort to offer a reasonable and standardized way of describing variation and his scaling approach offers a good way to compare and contrast important sound characteristics.

While I like to read everyone's creative descriptions on Head-fi, I sometimes wish we had some universal description standard, like Golden Ear's, for clarity in our communication.

Jul 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #994 of 1,146
Sound is sensation as well as measurement. While we strive for accuracy, we respond to emphasis.

Golden Ears makes a valiant effort to offer a reasonable and standardized way of describing variation and his scaling approach offers a good way to compare and contrast important sound characteristics.

While I like to read everyone's creative descriptions on Head-fi, I sometimes wish we had some universal description standard, like Golden Ear's, for clarity in our communication.

Understood and agree.

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #998 of 1,146
One thing I've noticed when I'm listening to certain songs is sometimes I think I'm hearing sounds outside of the headphone itself, but it's actually part of the song. It's kind of trippy really.
It is really satisfying how detailed they are at times...the way they accurately reproduce really subtle things like when a singer inhales is very cool.
There is a moment in a David Bowie song, he breathes in and out into the mic, listening on the Fidelios it is visceral. It's kinda gross, like Bowie is breathing on your neck...the first time I heard it I wasn't quite ready and I had to pause the music for a second, it was weird. I really love how cleanly and clearly the L2 reproduces music. I don't listen to orchestral, jazz, or "hifi" type genres that need a lot of wide open space and tons of soundstage to live in. I listen to a lot of more straightforward guitar/bass/drums/vocal: blues, three piece rock, indie rock type of stuff that sounds good with a black background and a deep accurate soundstage. I have studio monitor headphones that are great with detail....the L2s are just as detailed, plus they add....butter.

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,000 of 1,146
Well just got them yesterday, and wow... For what I listen to which is about 90% Grateful Dead Soundboards and live recordings these headphones blow everything else I have ever owned or tried out of the water! The amount of minor detail they pick up is incredible. Also the first set of low impedance cans that really shines on the LGV20. Get them while they are cheap. There is no headphone under 100 that can come close imo.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,001 of 1,146
Well just got them yesterday, and wow... For what I listen to which is about 90% Grateful Dead Soundboards and live recordings these headphones blow everything else I have ever owned or tried out of the water! The amount of minor detail they pick up is incredible. Also the first set of low impedance cans that really shines on the LGV20. Get them while they are cheap. There is no headphone under 100 that can come close imo.

A beautiful set of cans aesthetically and musically. I continue to be astounded the longer I own them.

It's insane how cheap they're selling for these days.

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #1,004 of 1,146

Users who are viewing this thread

Back