Philips Fidelio L2
Aug 20, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #871 of 1,146
at $129  they are a real steal !!!

nothing to touch them at that price  :)

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #873 of 1,146
I just received the L2 from newegg and looked at the manual that show the freq range from 6 - 28,000Hz. Then I found out that on Massdrop page shows the freq range from 6 - 40,000. So, I went to Philips website and found that it is from 6 - 40,000. One from Newegg and Massdrop is Philips L2BO/27 and the specs is Philips L2BO/00 (http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/L2BO_00/fidelio-fidelio-headphones-with-mic/specifications). I'm not sure anyone asked this in previous thread, but anyone know why and what happened?

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #876 of 1,146
  I just received the L2 from newegg and looked at the manual that show the freq range from 6 - 28,000Hz. Then I found out that on Massdrop page shows the freq range from 6 - 40,000. So, I went to Philips website and found that it is from 6 - 40,000. One from Newegg and Massdrop is Philips L2BO/27 and the specs is Philips L2BO/00 (http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/L2BO_00/fidelio-fidelio-headphones-with-mic/specifications). I'm not sure anyone asked this in previous thread, but anyone know why and what happened?

Hi-Res audio happened. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #877 of 1,146
  Hi-Res audio happened. 

Could you explain?
It's not like humans can actually hear those frequencies anyway.

Left my L2's at a friends place by accident by the way, and said she could try them until I got them back. Now she wants to buy her own pair
atsmile.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #878 of 1,146
  Could you explain?
It's not like humans can actually hear those frequencies anyway.

Left my L2's at a friends place by accident by the way, and said she could try them until I got them back. Now she wants to buy her own pair
atsmile.gif

Hi Res happened as in people think they need it...

So before, they only tested to 20ish khz, but now, people expect higher, so they test higher...

I guess it's important for when their dog wears them...

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #879 of 1,146

Hi Res happened as in people think they need it...

So before, they only tested to 20ish khz, but now, people expect higher, so they test higher...

I guess it's important for when their dog wears them...

Yup, pretty much what Ryan said. How's things by the way :) 

The JAS requirements for the Hi-Res logo required the headphone brands to come up with methods to measure up to 40kHz and certify that the headphones are able to produce those frequencies. There's no standard headphone measurement that supports that. HATS, 711, 318, etc... only measure up to 12-14 kHz, after that it's not relevant data. As far as I know, most companies are just measuring the drivers in a baffle, not in the headphones to come up with those >20 kHz figures. Sony has been working on a measurement similar to HATS that supports higher frequencies, but it's not based on solid evidence that that represents what reaches the real human eardrum. 

TL;DR: if you see brands quote figures > 20 kHz, it's either ********, marketing spin or the result of a driver baffle measurement. 

Oct 14, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #881 of 1,146
Are they better than hd 598?

Define better...
The L2's have a less wide soundstage, but a more dynamic sound. Their mids are darker sounding which gives nice timbre to male vocalists but gives less breathing space.They are somewhat less comfortable, but with better materials and better looking (IMHO). You take some you lose some... See if you can find a place where you can listen for yourself. For a large part it's a personal prefrence, but I prefer the L2's by a decent margin.

Oct 15, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #884 of 1,146

Apart from the minor cosmetic differences: the L1 is darker sounding with less detail and a somewhat narrower soundstage. The L2 is better in almost every way except if you're really after that dark sound.

Yeah, what he said. The modifications to the driver and improved tuning really make the L2 a much better headphone than the L1. Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back