Philips Fidelio L2
Nov 12, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #887 of 1,146
How does the L2 stand up to the HD600, HD650, X2, M100?

I've never owned any of these headphones, apart from the L2, which I've had for years and use almost every day.
When I listened to a properly amped HD650 it was definitely better in most regards: more spacious, more detail, slightly more rolled of highs. Walking the line between musicality and analytics in a rather similar fashion actually.
I only tried the X2 in a store. Again, more spacious sounding and more comfortable, but in terms of soundsignature I personally prefer the l2 slightly; the X2 has more bass that sounds a bit less solid, and is overall somewhat darker sounding. Neither of these need an amp, so that's great.
M100 I have never been able to directly A-B, but there's the obvious difference between (semi)open and closed-back, the latter isolating better and providing more bass at the cost of spaciousness. It has a warmer, bassier sound than all the other cans you mentioned; too much so for my taste.
Can't comment on the HD600 since I've not heard it in ages.

Really, these are good headphones, but, at least where I am, the ones you are comparing the L2 to are also more expensive. If you have a chance, I'd recommend trying them out somewhere because a lot of it is down to sonic preferences and, given the law of diminishing returns, how much you are willing to pay more for something slightly better sounding.

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #888 of 1,146
L2 is on sale for $99.00 right now. I couldn't pass on it. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WTQDV5E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1WAJHEZVYERHM&coliid=I1YFPGYH65NVIE

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #890 of 1,146
  Holy ****. At that price I'm seriously considering getting a second pair for when my own one breaks.
Considering how fine they still look after two and a half years of pretty intense use, I'm hoping they'll last quite a while longer though.

seems to me like you owe it to the forum to buy another set, do A/B comparisons to see how the sound has changed over time and then take that old set and start modding the piss out of it to see what improvements can be made....I mean, if you cared about the rest of us at all....

Nov 27, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #892 of 1,146
Has anybody noticed the little bump on the outside of the earcup. It's concealed by the headband, so it's difficult to access. What does it do? Does it perhaps remove the earpads?

It keeps the metal headband slider from scratching the cup.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #893 of 1,146
  Has anybody noticed the little bump on the outside of the earcup. It's concealed by the headband, so it's difficult to access. What does it do? Does it perhaps remove the earpads?

It keeps the metal headband slider from scratching the cup.

ThomasHK is correct.

BTW, removing the pads is a piece of cake. The information they were not removable is a myth. 
I replaced mine with pads from brainwavz and enjoy the L2 much more ever since...

Cheers.

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #894 of 1,146
  seems to me like you owe it to the forum to buy another set, do A/B comparisons to see how the sound has changed over time and then take that old set and start modding the piss out of it to see what improvements can be made....I mean, if you cared about the rest of us at all....

Hmmm just noticed they don't ship to any of the countries I'll be in in the next couple of months, but if you know a way to ship them to Austria, Italy or the Netherlands I'd gladly proof my love to you :wink:

BTW, removing the pads is a piece of cake. The information they were not removable is a myth. 
I replaced mine with pads from brainwavz and enjoy the L2 much more ever since...

Cheers.

Would you mind posting some pictures of that? How does it improve the headphone?

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #895 of 1,146

Hmmm just noticed they don't ship to any of the countries I'll be in in the next couple of months, but if you know a way to ship them to Austria, Italy or the Netherlands I'd gladly proof my love to you :wink:

Would you mind posting some pictures of that? How does it improve the headphone?

Just a couple of pages back, somebody else did post pics. Post #860 - #863.

I won't be able to take and post pictures until late in the evening....

Cheers.

Nov 28, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #900 of 1,146
OK. I took only 3 pictures, but I hope that this is sufficient.

1. I gently peeled back the pad. You can see here how the pleather slips out of the groove. The pads you see here are from Brainwavz. The cushion is memory foam covered by velour. I also have a blue pleather version - they will both fit. Those are actually a bit larger than the L2 stock, which makes it a bit easier to get them on.

2. That 3mm or so pleather need to be tugged into the groove. Every blunt (BLUNT) instrument will do the trick. Pleather is stretchy and comes back fairly fast to its original shape. Make sure you don't overdo it though. You don't want to tear it.

3. Here I peeled it back a bit more. Now you see there is a pretty firm piece of foam underneath. This is part of the phone. This foam gives a bit, so you can squeeze it to get the pads off or on.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back