Philips Fidelio L1/M1/X1 or ATH-ESW9 or V-MODA M-100?
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 35
Jan 23, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #19 of 35
Ok, gotcha. But the X1 isn't portable like the M-100, so I think that excludes it as a finalist.. So much for the L1 and M1... But, certainly, at some point I can consider the X1 as a strictly at home headphone, since it is open and perhaps a wider sound stage than the M-100... It would be interesting to have 2 awesome headphones that sound differently, but are both exquisite in their own right.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #23 of 35
I didn't think it fair for me to vote as I haven't heard all the candidates. I do have the ATH-ESW9 model and like them very much, listening mostly to 'world' and acoustic music. I have Fidelio L1's on order but have not heard them yet. I like a mid-forward sound profile, and although I like a tight and well-controlled bass, I am not what might be considered a basshead. Having said all that, I have the HD25 and about a dozen portables and the ATH-ESW9 are currently my favorites of the bunch. My $0.02.

May 8, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #25 of 35
I've just received the L1, and I think they sound really great. I have Shure 1840, HD598, B&W P5 and I think these are the most fun sounding. Shure 1840 is far more detailed and have much less bass. I'm using the L1 unamped just from the notebook, I'll try later to use the Dacport LX + C421. Anyhow, they make me smile so I think they are great.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 35
I have the esw9. Portable! Luscious mids! Not too shabby in the bass department also. Smooth highs! Build quality seems good but don't know how long those wooden ear cups would last if being used everyday.

Just got the Fidelio X1 today! Amazing! This is the open backed headphone of choice for bass heads! Not portable though and you need to replace the 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cable included in the box due to high resistance! See Tylls review from inner fidelity! But for overall sound quality I recommend the X1. Are you looking for portability or outright sound quality?

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #28 of 35
I have the esw9. Portable! Luscious mids! Not too shabby in the bass department also. Smooth highs! Build quality seems good but don't know how long those wooden ear cups would last if being used everyday.

Just got the Fidelio X1 today! Amazing! This is the open backed headphone of choice for bass heads! Not portable though and you need to replace the 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cable included in the box due to high resistance! See Tylls review from inner fidelity! But for overall sound quality I recommend the X1. Are you looking for portability or outright sound quality?

Hey champ,
I'm thinking of also buying the X1s for gaming with the boompro mic and listing to movies and music.
However I wouldnt say that I'm a bass head but I do appreciate good bass that doesn't leak into the MIDs and good for a wide genre of music.

Would this headphone be a good choice for me?

Lastly how badly do they leak for an open headphone? Ive heard that some open headphones leak more than others.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #29 of 35
@Fluffy Muffins: indeed I recommend the X1's to you. They are well behaved balanced headphones with Great bass slam. Bass blends into the mids nicely. When the music calls for it, the bass shakes my ear lobes. Soundstaging probably will depend on the amp you use or what source you will use. Technically the HD650 is the better headphone but these are the ones to have If you must have bass slam with an open backed design. Nothing else is on the market like this. With sound leakage, the X1's leak sound, but not as much as the HD650. Go get them! :wink:

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #30 of 35
  @Fluffy Muffins: indeed I recommend the X1's to you. They are well behaved balanced headphones with Great bass slam. Bass blends into the mids nicely. When the music calls for it, the bass shakes my ear lobes. Soundstaging probably will depend on the amp you use or what source you will use. Technically the HD650 is the better headphone but these are the ones to have If you must have bass slam with an open backed design. Nothing else is on the market like this. With sound leakage, the X1's leak sound, but not as much as the HD650. Go get them! :wink:

One last question I have is that I owned the Sony MDR-1RMK2's and I've unfortunately am going to get a refund for them as I feel that the build quality isn't up to my standards. However I was quite a fan of there Mid's but with faster more aggressive genre's the mids and bass kinda blended together and lost some detail but it was very good with music like daft punk. 

Do you think I'll be more impressed withe the X1's Mids than I was with the MK2's (even thought the 1R's mids are forawrd) and would you think it was be a good gaming headphone? (I'm thinking of getting the ATH-ADG1's but not sure how well that'd be for music and movies)

does the X1's look better in person? I know the X1's are probably the best looking open headphone going (please clarify that for me) but it's my first time going for something that's a modern/classic style instead of a really modern look like the MDR-1R or momentum. 

I actually chose to steer away from my portable headphone journey becasue there was nothing that met my expectations in terms of looks and sound quality. So I decided to use my shure SE215LTD's more primarily portable use and buy a headphone that I can use for gaming. movies and casual listening. For gaming I'll be playing on the PS4, so I'd need to buy a third party 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. The Mediabridge 3.5mm Male To Male Stereo Audio Cable on amazon doesn't ship to Australia, if you could suggest any for me. Please do!

It's going to cost me just under $300 to for the X1's, including the Boompro mic $330ish

thanks in advance :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back