Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Jan 9, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #287 of 528
These headphones offer 3 different earcup sizes! These are great options!

Heres a picture of the sizes (Sorry i dont have permissions to upload pics yet) 

https://i.imgur.com/EGQ6dZZ.jpg

I really love using the 80mm ear cups for sports and working out. I take these ones when i go to the gym. They dont fall off your head. The sound isolation may not be as good as the stock ones but it makes it look less bulky.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #288 of 528
Get the V-Moda, the Philips will last you till your next birth but the sound might not be to your taste. You can actually get bigger velour earpads for the A5.

I upgraded from 90mm pleater to 110mm velour.

Disappointing: not really deeper (still my ears touch the grill covering cloth). Also, sealing became worse, hence isolation is not as good. Bass become lighter.

I gave away my A5pro. After upgrading the cable and trying different pads, they just weren't for me. Perhaps good for DJs, they are sturdy and take a lot of volume. But for long term wearing comfort and neutrality of the sound? No, not for me.

Jan 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #289 of 528
  I am currently out to replace my ATH-M50 headphones that I have been using with my computer for the past 4.5 years but they have started to break down on me so need to buy new head phones. And these Philips A5 pro is one of my candidates for sure. But I have some concerns that I hope you guys can help me with...

They are rather heavy at 405 grams compared to 280 for my ATH-M50 and also it seems the inner height of the ear cups is no more then 48 mm that is 5 mm less then on my ATH-M50 and that concerns me a little. The ATH-M50 is already too small to fit my ears inside but I still find them comfortable for 2-4 hours, but perhaps these 48 mm ones will make it uncomfortable for me! How is the clamping force on these? I guess I am hoping someone here who owns both cans can provide me with some feedback regarding the comfort level of these A5 Pro head phones!

How is the sound compared to ATH-M50? I love the sound of my ATH-M50 as they make the music fun and engaging but also especially with female vocals I find the sound pleasantly intimate. I hope these A5 Pro are just as fun, is the bass just as powerful as on the ATH-M50? I love listening too EDM and dance pop music but also modern violin such as Lindsey Stirling. I find that the ATH-M50 is very versatile with regards to different type of music. Is the A5 Pro just as versatile and fun?

I also think my ATH-M50 is good for movies and gaming. So the A5 Pro must perform in those areas as well..

Also I want decent sound isolation but not too much. I still want to be able to hear the telly in the background when I have no music playing and I want to be able to hear when a family member is shouting my name. I also want not too much leakage. My ATH-M50 do a decent job in those regards, but better protection against sound leakage would be even better. How do the A5 Pro's perform in this area?

Other contenters I am currently looking at are the Sony MDR-100AAP, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over ear and V-Moda Crossfade M-100. How are this A5 Pro compared to those sound wise? 

The a5 pro is superior to the sony 100aap.  More detail in the highs, punchier bass, more accurate soundstage.  Sony is more comfortable and has more sub bass, and a little bit more emphasis on female vocals.  The a5 can be bought cheap on ebay, around the same price as the sony.  Originally the retail price of the philips was twice that of the sony.

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #290 of 528
Get the V-Moda, the Philips will last you till your next birth but the sound might not be to your taste. You can actually get bigger velour earpads for the A5.

Do you think there is a particular reason I might not enjoy the sound of these Philips cans? Regarding the bigger ear pads, I contacted a seller about them and he said ha have not received any of those for months he think they might be discontinued by the manufacturer... But I do not have too much trust in sellers so he might be wrong.
  The a5 pro is superior to the sony 100aap.  More detail in the highs, punchier bass, more accurate soundstage.  Sony is more comfortable and has more sub bass, and a little bit more emphasis on female vocals.  The a5 can be bought cheap on ebay, around the same price as the sony.  Originally the retail price of the philips was twice that of the sony.

Interesting! It is the bargain price that is a strong pull factor for me to get these ones and also the build quality and I love the cool look of them! Also they seem to be mostly praised around here, seems like Philips are doing good these days, I remember back in 2011 when I was out to buy headphones no one took Philips headphones seriously.  Do you know how these compare to the ATH-M50? How much sound do they leak out when listening to them? I hope they do not leak too much!

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #291 of 528
Sorry I have not heard the ath m50 and I don't have anyone around to hear how leaky they sound.  Yeah Philips have upped their game, having brought out the x1 in 2012 and then the x2 and the a5 in 2014, all flagship headphones.

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #292 of 528
Do you think there is a particular reason I might not enjoy the sound of these Philips cans? Regarding the bigger ear pads, I contacted a seller about them and he said ha have not received any of those for months he think they might be discontinued by the manufacturer... But I do not have too much trust in sellers so he might be wrong.

Interesting! It is the bargain price that is a strong pull factor for me to get these ones and also the build quality and I love the cool look of them! Also they seem to be mostly praised around here, seems like Philips are doing good these days, I remember back in 2011 when I was out to buy headphones no one took Philips headphones seriously.  Do you know how these compare to the ATH-M50? How much sound do they leak out when listening to them? I hope they do not leak too much!

The stock ones and the 110mm earpads dont leak, but i wouldnt really take them outside because the look way too bulky. I always use the 80mm since its less bulky but it leaks a little more than the stock ones.

Honestly i really like the 110mm for indoor use, theres a significant amount of soustage compared to the stock ones, and this one is the one that doesnt leak that much compared to the other two.

Sometime i take the stock ones and the 80mm along with me whenever i go to libraries since the stock ones leak less than the 80mm.

Philips describes the uses of the 2 different earpads below :

80mm:
"Slim professional on-ear cushions for less noisy environments"

110mm:
"Professional over-ear cushions with superior sound isolation for use in loud environments"

I hope you now get an idea about the leaking thing

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #293 of 528
I can 100% recommend these A5 the sound is superb!!! You  cant get more accurate sound this price point and this good build quality. Dont get V-MODA you will be disappointed atleast they was me, absolute **** audio quality when playing from DJ mixers. They are good on the go if you listen when you travelling. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #294 of 528
  I can 100% recommend these A5 the sound is superb!!! You  cant get more accurate sound this price point and this good build quality. Dont get V-MODA you will be disappointed atleast they was me, absolute **** audio quality when playing from DJ mixers. They are good on the go if you listen when you travelling. 

I'm not a DJ, but how can the M100's have "absolute **** audio quality when playing from DJ mixers" when they are still one of the most popular headphones for DJ's?

Jan 12, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #295 of 528
My interest keep coming back to these in my selection process. 

Are these superior to the ATH-M50 I have now? I am worried that perhaps these have a boring sound signature since I read somewhere that these have a mild mannered bass whatever that means...

Is the bass in these better then ATH-M50? I very much like the snappy and agile bass in the M50, so hoping these Philips A5PRO can keep up.

I notice that there seem to be some holes in the ear cup that is hidden by the hinges, I guess to enhance the bass. Do this cause a lot of sound coming out through there? I am hoping that these do not leak more then ATH-M50!

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #297 of 528
My interest keep coming back to these in my selection process. 

Are these superior to the ATH-M50 I have now? I am worried that perhaps these have a boring sound signature since I read somewhere that these have a mild mannered bass whatever that means...

Is the bass in these better then ATH-M50? I very much like the snappy and agile bass in the M50, so hoping these Philips A5PRO can keep up.

I notice that there seem to be some holes in the ear cup that is hidden by the hinges, I guess to enhance the bass. Do this cause a lot of sound coming out through there? I am hoping that these do not leak more then ATH-M50!

The holes in the hinges dont affect sound or leakage. Its just some sort of acces to the internal cable that connects to the drivers So theres no relevance in leakeage or bass in that.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #300 of 528

I'm not a DJ, but how can the M100's have "absolute **** audio quality when playing from DJ mixers" when they are still one of the most popular headphones for DJ's?

Because they are just boom sound you cant hear kick tone accurate at all, they just rumble. Sound is not clear, its sounds like mess. Doesnt go loud enough with earplugs. This is my experience with them playing at trance festival. 

With these A5 and also with K267 i can hear all kicks really accurate and with any volume. Also thse go loud enough even with earplugs. But this is just my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back