Phiaton PS-320 impression and comparison
Feb 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shinnbone

Head-Fier
Amazon has the Phiaton PS-320s for $111.99. I've been in the market for portable headphones to use at work, and after some reading and searching, I decided to give them a try.

Caveat: I have tinnitus, so I may not be able to hear some frequencies that y'all can. Obviously, YMMV.

The packaging is very nice, and the included pouch is functional, although the material is kind of cheap.

Construction seems good enough. The cable is rather thin and do not look or feel sturdy, though. The cans feel tight and the ears hurt after a couple of hours, but that should get better in time.

Now the sound ... I think the 320s have a lot of clarity and details. Initially they sounded bottom light, but after a couple of hours, the low-end bloomed. It's been 3 days since I got them, but I haven't noticed much difference after the first 2 or 3 hours. Highs are abundant but not overpowering, and the timbre is nice. Mids are not particularly rich, but the tones of different guitars are presented well and clearly. (I play the guitar, so I tend to pay attention to guitar tones.) For small closed cans, the soundstage is respectable.

Comparing the 320 to other headphones I've been using may give a better idea of their sound.

With Samsung Fascinate, mostly 128K MP3s

320 vs. Sony MDR-V6:

The Sony sounds splashy in comparison. V6s lack focus -- it's almost distracting, because I find the splashy highs and high mids to interfere with the vocals and solo instruments. It's as if the songs have been dissected into different frequencies or instruments, and those parts are presented as separate entities rather than a whole. 320s' presentation is a lot more coherent and pleasant. 320s have a little less instrument separation because of this, but the different tonalities of instruments are easily detected. Over all, the 320s are a lot more enjoyable and a lot less fatiguing. 320s are more efficient, and requires less volume from the Fascinate. Isolation is better with the Phiaton.

320 vs. KOSS PortaPro:

PortaPros sound downright muddy compared to the 320s. I've been using the PortaPros at work for a couple of years, but now that I've heard the 320s, I can't use the PortaPros any longer. No contest here. 320s have a lot more details, much better defined mids and lows, and tons more clarity. I always EQ the low end down when using the PortaPros, and highs up a bit with some songs, but with the 320s, there is no need to mess with the EQ. Efficiencies are about the same. 320s have much better isolation.

With Sony CDP-XA3ES CD player > optical cable > Pioneer SX217 integrated home theater amp

320 vs. AKG K701: This is not a fair comparison. AKG is open, so there is a lot -- a LOT -- more air to the sound, as well as much better instrument separation, more details, and bigger soundstage. 320s' smaller cans give much less sense of space and air. But I've always found K701s' weakness to be the harder songs, where a bit more "oomph" would be welcome, and the 320s do a better job at this "oomph." Having said that, for home use I'll definitely stick to the K701s.

320 vs. Sony MDR-V6

V6s fare much better here than with the Fascinate. They still sound a bit splashy, but the overall signature is a lot more coherent. Once again, the smaller can of the 320s give a lot less sense of space and air. V6s have more emphasis on the higher frequencies, and the 320s have more lows. V6s sound clearer with better instrument separation, and the 320s sound less analytical. I could go with either depending on the song, but lean more towards the Sony.

This is not surprising considering the 320s are portables and they were probably designed to sound good with portable players.

As decently-priced small headphones with better-than-average isolation and nice sound quality -- great details and balance -- I think I will be very happy with the Phiaton PS-320s as my work cans.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi xtasi, I listen to fusion mostly, jazz, and rock, mostly instrumentals. Jing Chi, Tribal Tech, Vital Information, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Al di Meola, Return to Forever, Joshua Redman, Grant Green, Miles, Coltrane, Monk ...  rock artists I listen to most often include Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, Gov't Mule, Steely Dan, Robben Ford. Just to name a few.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 8
I love mine. Gives it a little bass boost and it really shines on my music.

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Hi xtasi, I listen to fusion mostly, jazz, and rock, mostly instrumentals. Jing Chi, Tribal Tech, Vital Information, John Scofield, Bill Frisell, Al di Meola, Return to Forever, Joshua Redman, Grant Green, Miles, Coltrane, Monk ...  rock artists I listen to most often include Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, Gov't Mule, Steely Dan, Robben Ford. Just to name a few.

Lots of fusion guitarists there, any chance you listen to Guthrie Govan, Marco Sfogli or Bireli Lagrene as well?

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I love mine. Gives it a little bass boost and it really shines on my music.

ClieOS, your review of the 320s was one of the factors for my decision to get them. I was a bit concerned that they may be as dry as the V6s, but I'm glad the 320s work better with the Fascinate. With some songs I do feel they could use a bit more bass, but for the most part I am happy with flat EQ.

Quote:
Lots of fusion guitarists there, any chance you listen to Guthrie Govan, Marco Sfogli or Bireli Lagrene as well?

I like Bireli Lagrene. I have "Spaces Revisited" with him and Larry Coryell (and a young Richard Bona), and I like it better than the original "Spaces" with John McLaughlin. I've heard of Guthrie Govan, and seen some YouTube videos, but they were mostly flashy shredding. I'm not familiar with his music beyond that. I've never heard of Marco Sfogli. I've got some searching to do. Thanks for the tip!

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Oh man, you have a great musical journey in front of you.  Yes, Guthrie is a shredder, but what is unique about him is that he, like Mr. Lagrene, is based almost completely on improvising...and he does it at light speed and creates some of the coolest effects and music.   Marco Sfogli is the other end of the spectrum compared to Govan, he is also a fusion guitarist but all of his music is very beautiful and much slower, but when he kicks it out so to speak, he rivals Govan.  Bireli is untouchable though, I won't go into praising him too much beyond saying that the best guitar players of the last 30 years ALL consider bireli lagrene the best guitar player since Django. 

Here are a few tracks that I hope get you interested in all three.  All of them were life changers for me :)

Here Bireli plays with another true master named Sylvain Luc, to me they seem to improvise and use their own musical language to "talk" to each other, but with music notes lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXe2ukYQlY

Another Video of Bireli playing a more Django swing gypsy jazz style with his rival Stochelo Rosenberg and his band the Rosenberg Trio, playing Chick Coreas Spain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSOy6JoSe4&feature=related

Marco Sfogli playing one of my favorite songs of his album Andromeda called Still Hurts 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgBpFUchycU

Guthrie Govan playing Waves off his album Erotic Cakes (lol great name for a cd )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ct7qKCK8UM

also, the ps320 is phiatons best sounding set I think.  I was trying desperately to get a free sample set from them to review for the past 5 months hehe.  Great set of headphones, If I hadn't purchased my esw9s, I would have likely bought a ps320 for myself instead.

May 4, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 8
I've just received my PS-320 from Amazon for $111.99. My Initial impression from playing through my S:Flo2 and Arrow 1G amp (with 10ohm minimum output impedance setting) is definitive positive. I like the treble presentation and the dynamic. The headphones are bass light but it responds VERY WELL to the bass boost of the Arrow 1G. I think the dual driver configuration allows the bass boost without interfering the mid-treble like all other headphones/IEMs I have had (e.g. the HD-25-1 II). I find the sound about perfect with the Arrow's 1G 1st stage bass boost.

As I portable headphones I like it much better than the HD-25-1 II once I had. My problem with the HD-25-1 II is the fact that it does not fold flat/up and make a bulge in my brief case when I commute to work. The PS-320 occupies much less space when folded up. Sound quality wise I think they are at the same level but with different characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back