PETA urges Ben and Jerry's to use human breast milk.
Sep 24, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #31 of 107
"Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's. Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers--and cows--would reap the benefits. [...]"

This "detail" opens the gate to so many things... what about a parallel with trafficking of human beings for organs or for prostitution?

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #32 of 107
The canton Zurich restaurant Storchen has been banned from serving breast milk cuisine. - swissinfo

... and here is a copy-paste of what can be found on that page:
"September 18, 2008 - 1:04 PM Breast milk menu too titillating for diners
Image caption: Hans Locher, landlord of the Storchen in Winterthur, believes breast is best when it comes to milk (20 Minuten/Aebi)Related story
Breastfeeding wins mothers' approval A restaurant has been banned from serving up dishes containing human milk on the grounds that the "ingredient" derives from an unauthorised source.
The Storchen restaurant, in Iberg on the outskirts of Winterthur, had advertised for mothers to sell their breast milk for the special menu. But breastfeeding counsellors had labelled the project unethical.

The idea was eventually scrapped after canton Zurich food inspectors said it broke regulations, and threatened to take action. "Humans are not on the list of authorised milk suppliers such as cows or sheep," said department head Rolf Etter.

But Storchen restaurant landlord Hans Locher was unrepentant about his controversial plan and was disappointed with the ban. "The idea is over now and I think it's totally wrong," he told swissinfo.

Locher had planned to serve up human milk in dishes of soup, antelope steak with sauce and the classic dish of Zürcher Geschnetzeltes – bite sized pieces of meat in a creamy sauce. The Storchen, which coincidentally means Stork in English, would have served up these delicacies during a series of special offer weeks.

Locher found inspiration 35 years ago by concocting some dishes using his wife's surplus milk following the birth of his daughter. He finally decided to go public with his culinary novelty after noticing a lot of recent mothers in the neighbourhood.

Media storm
"One evening I thought that they must have a lot of extra breast milk that I could do something with. I remembered the excellent results of my previous experiments and dug out some of my old recipes," he said.

Locher offered SFr16.25 ($14.50) for a litre of milk, calculating that he needed about five litres to put a menu together. He got "one or two" responses to his advertisement but had no time to collect any milk by the time the authorities intervened.

Locher admitted that he knew his novelty cuisine would generate publicity, but insisted that the main inspiration behind his idea was to provide tasty dishes. The Swiss media besieged the restaurant within days of the advert for human milk appearing.

"I never thought I would get this much media attention. It is scary what has happened in the past few days," he told swissinfo.

The human milk menu also attracted the attention of the Swiss association of breastfeeding counsellors, which objected to mothers being offered cash for milk intended for their babies.

Ethical doubts
"This raises ethical questions. It is not a good idea to pay for milk because it might tempt mothers to put profit before their children," spokeswoman Christa Müller-Aregger told swissinfo.

She also raised practical doubts about the scheme that may have caused problems if it had gone ahead.

"When hospitals stockpile milk banks the mothers and their milk are always given a health check. If a mother takes drugs or smokes then you find traces in the milk," she said.

"Human milk is specifically designed for babies and not to be of nutritional value for adults."

swissinfo, Matthew Allen in Zurich

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RATINGReaders' average rating: 4.7
4.7/5 Stars14.7/5 Stars24.7/5 Stars34.7/5 Stars44.7/5 Stars5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CommentsPlace your comment Data is being loaded
Frankster , United States
Snookie, sorry, but you are wrong.

Human milk contains, on average, 1.1% protein, 4.2% fat, 7.0% lactose (a sugar), and supplies 72 kcal of energy per 100 grams.

Cow milk contains, on average, 3.4% protein, 3.6% fat, and 4.6% lactose, 0.7% minerals[19] and supplies 66 kcal of energy per 100 grams.

Cow milk is higher in protein, lower in fat, and provides minerals human breast milk does not. Skim cow milk helps promote lean muscle growth and strong bones in adults, and can prevent the early onset of osteoporosis in women. It can also be controlled and monitored for consistency and safety in production in ways that human breast milk cannot. Dairy cows do not smoke cigarettes or use illegal drugs, and they can't get AIDS. Lactating mothers may do all of the above. "

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now PETA will say another Innovative IDea..

Eat Humans NOT MeaT!

Cannibalism is not as rare as you might think.

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #35 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...what about a parallel with trafficking of human beings for organs or for prostitution?

A closer parallel would be getting paid for donating blood, or for donating sperm. Oh wait, we already do that!!

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #37 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm....I always knew human meat was tasty......
tongue_smile.gif

I've got the hunger! Lets make a stop at the city morgue.

Dee: "Are we racist if we don't eat the black guy?"

Charlie: "Of course not. Whoever heard of a racist cannibal? Now help me with the hot-plate."

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #38 of 107
Well, the main obstacle i can see is that we'd need to essentially treat women like cattle. That means keeping them in a dormatory somewhere so we can control their diet and any pharmeceuticals they take, to keep good control of the quality and safety of the milk.

I don't think that would go over so well.

Good thing i don't take advice from organizations that have convicted arsonists on the payroll.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #39 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the main obstacle i can see is that we'd need to essentially treat women like cattle. That means keeping them in a dormatory somewhere so we can control their diet and any pharmeceuticals they take, to keep good control of the quality and safety of the milk.

I don't think that would go over so well.

Plus, while most people don't have a problem breeding particular breeds of cow for ideal properties of milk, I don't think the idea of breeding women for particular traits in breast milk would go over well either with the general populous.

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #41 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, while most people don't have a problem breeding particular breeds of cow for ideal properties of milk, I don't think the idea of breeding women for particular traits in breast milk would go over well either with the general populous.

Good thing cows don't vote, eh?

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #42 of 107
Have any of you actually drank breast milk as an adult?

I have. I did not particularly enjoy it. If I had to choose between breast milk and UHT milk, I'd choose the former, but it's a close race. I prefer cow, goat and sheep to human, and I don't imagine I'm alone in that.

Heck, I prefer soy to all of those (save cow) and it's already produced in large quantities for good prices.

And, Roxxor, do you see any legal way to make his work in a commercial sense? Stigma aside, the conditions necessary to meet FDA approval on a food product in the US are extremely stringent. The amount of money you would need to pay human women to live in those conditions would make the product completely unaffordable except in a fetish / niche market, which I suspect defeats the point.

The only way it would work would be on a small scale, unregulated basis, like organic produce at farmers markets. If that was going to fly, it would have already.

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #43 of 107
PETA have done TONS of stupid and idiotic things.

The "Got Beer?" campaign.
The needless slaughter of thousands of animals, animal "euthanasia".

Wikipedia is your friend =D

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #44 of 107
Completely wacko, though they are correct that milk is not good for you.

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #45 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have any of you actually drank breast milk as an adult?

No, but my chemist friend once got paid to run a bunch of spectra on breast milk - and the baby formula company that paid he and his coworkers to do the research (on the agreement that they would completely ignore and say nothing about the active organics in breast milk that can't be easily synthesized) sent a lot more milk than they needed.

So at the end of the day, imagine what happens when you have three men in a lab with a pint of breast milk that's just going to go to waste, and a huge dewar of liquid nitrogen.

He says it's very sweet, and has a lot of fat in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back