PETA urges Ben and Jerry's to use human breast milk.
Sep 24, 2008 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Words fail me. PETA Media Center > Recent News Releases : The Breast Is Best! PETA Asks Ben & Jerry's to Dump Dairy and Go With Human Milk Instead

Quote:

Dear Mr. Cohen and Mr. Greenfield,

On behalf of PETA and our more than 2 million members and supporters, I'd like to bring your attention to an innovative new idea from Switzerland that would bring a unique twist to Ben and Jerry's. Storchen restaurant is set to unveil a menu that includes soups, stews, and sauces made with at least 75 percent breast milk procured from human donors who are paid in exchange for their milk. If Ben and Jerry's replaced the cow's milk in its ice cream with breast milk, your customers--and cows--would reap the benefits.

Using cow's milk for your ice cream is a hazard to your customer's health. Dairy products have been linked to juvenile diabetes, allergies, constipation, obesity, and prostate and ovarian cancer. The late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease--America's number one cause of death.

Animals will also benefit from the switch to breast milk. Like all mammals, cows only produce milk during and after pregnancy, so to be able to constantly milk them, cows are forcefully impregnated every nine months. After several years of living in filthy conditions and being forced to produce 10 times more milk than they would naturally, their exhausted bodies are turned into hamburgers or ground up for soup.

And of course, the veal industry could not survive without the dairy industry. Because male calves can't produce milk, dairy farmers take them from their mothers immediately after birth and sell them to veal farms, where they endure 14 to17 weeks of torment chained inside a crate so small that they can't even turn around.

The breast is best! Won't you give cows and their babies a break and our health a boost by switching from cow's milk to breast milk in Ben and Jerry's ice cream? Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Tracy Reiman
Executive Vice President

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 107
Will these female donors be forcefully impregnated every nine months as well, like the cows?
wink.gif

Sounds like a nice idea, if they have access to human breast milk without harming any child.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 107
haha, PETA is just too damn much. there is this awesome thing called soy milk that makes great ice cream too.. without hurting cows or grossing people out.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 107
o_o.... I don't really think this will help cows very much... the milk will just be used for other things or even if in some bizarre twist the whole country switched to an alternative, the cows would just be shipped off to slaughter faster. And I'm not sure I believe everything in their statement... in fact, I'm willing to bet 90% of the health risk stuff was BS. For certain people, an excess of dairy can cause constipation but so can other stuff as well. That has to do with individual body chemistry and the amount of said product consumed. Same for obesity.

Somehow this does not seem entirely healthy. These donors would have to be thoroughly screened each time they make a donation. And I don't really see how they could make much of a donation without depriving their own child. And I don't see why the hell anyone would think of such a thing when (as someone else pointed out) we already have soy milk.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 107
This is the most ridiculous bulls... I've ever read. These ******** are complaining about taking milk from cows and their solution is to take the milk from humans? Seriously? Just where is this 'human milk' going to come from? Women depriving their children of breast milk? I find it absolutely absurd that cows should be put above people. That is why they are here, for us to eat.

Breast milk ice cream? Soy milk ice cream? Sounds disgusting. I say we stick with cow milk...

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 107
I agree. I also call BS on those 'health risks'. This has been debated back and forth for years. I really don't expect that we will ever have a clear, true answer. Just more nonsense from PETA's campaign of 'animals first, screw people' campaign.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 107
Feed the children cow milk, so that their mothers can sell breast milk to Ben & Jerry's...
popcorn.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #10 of 107
I don't understand why human breast milk over soy milk etc. I'm vegan.

Only thing I can think of is it being some secret-psychological effort at influencing you to put/imagine yourself in a cows position?
confused.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the most ridiculous bulls... I've ever read. These ******** are complaining about taking milk from cows and their solution is to take the milk from humans? Seriously? Just where is this 'human milk' going to come from? Women depriving their children of breast milk? I find it absolutely absurd that cows should be put above people. That is why they are here, for us to eat.

Breast milk ice cream? Soy milk ice cream? Sounds disgusting. I say we stick with cow milk...

the idea of using human milk is absolutely unbelievably stupid but don't knock soy ice cream until you give it a try, it tastes the same as milk ice cream. the reason most soy substitutes and meat analogs don't taste as good as their animal counterparts is that not enough fat is used. if you find a good soy ice cream with the same amount of fat as regular ice cream you can't taste it.

*for the record, I am a vegetarian for weight management and other health reasons and also think PETA is completely crazy*

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 107
When I was a kid, I spent time on a cattle ranch in the summers. I milked a few cows there. Believe it or not, the cows *like* to be milked. The average cow produces more milk than its calf can drink. If you don't milk them, they become quite uncomfortable. Imagine not being able to pee without the help of a friendly farmer, and you will understand how the cows feel about being milked... aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

PETA=whack jobs!

See ya
Steve

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll volunteer!

Mind reader.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #15 of 107
Quote:

Imagine not being able to pee without the help of a friendly farmer

Imagine having a friendly farmer pulling your nipples...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back