Pet Peeves/Venting
Aug 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #46 of 83
Wonderful thread!

My peeve regarding English is the aolistic use of "u" or "ur". That's about the stupidest shortening I've ever seen.
In Finnish, people make different kinds of mistakes but analytic use of the language makes my head explode. It's funny that I love English for analytic structure so much but hate it in Finnish.

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #48 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonderful thread!

My peeve regarding English is the aolistic use of "u" or "ur". That's about the stupidest shortening I've ever seen.
In Finnish, people make different kinds of mistakes but analytic use of the language makes my head explode. It's funny that I love English for analytic structure so much but hate it in Finnish.

I have that problem with "pls". I think it was because my elementary school taught Phonics, but I mentally pronounce everything... and "pls" is pronounced like a sumo wrestler trying to swallow his tongue. "ur" is also funny to pronounce. Even when I SMS message I spell out every word even if the text takes me ten minutes with prediction.

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #49 of 83
People who let the door close immediately behind them and in front of your face. I mean come on... turn around and make sure nobody is behind you.

People who wear their bluetooth headsets when not on the phone (at lunch, supermarket, bar, etc.).

People who continue to talk on their phones while being checked out at a store or pharmacy. The cashier deserves your attention... hang up the call for 5 minutes.

People who think it's insane to buy expensive headphones when they buy expensive fishing rods, instruments, handbags, softball bats, watches, knives, exhaust systems, saws... Most people have SOMETHING they spend more on than everybody else.

Aug 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #50 of 83
people using 'space' to refer to a room in a apartment/home to be trendy in some kind of architecturally hip n' cool way

"oh, i could so much with this space" "what a great space" pffft...please

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #51 of 83
"Music Lovers" that own a top of the line system with expensive components and show it off in pictures and call themselves audiophiles but only own about a dozen albums.

Women who b*tch about equality yet if certain situations are reversed, the man will not have the same rights/expectations/standards/etc.

The above being said - DOUBLE STANDARDS!

Women who wear high heels and can't walk in them.

Women who dress provocatively and get angry if someone stares.

Men who talk in restrooms.

People who use the word "like" after every other word.

People who LOVE to give opinions about things they know nothing about.

People who believe there is only ONE way to go about doing things.

People who chew with their mouths open.

People who don't wear deodorant/antiperspirant.

People who wear too much cologne/perfume.

People who wear their bluetooth headsets when not on the phone.

People who talk on the phone while driving.

People who text while watching a movie in the theater.

Audiophiles who hate anything that isn't their system or playing on their system.

Aug 21, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #52 of 83
LFF, you reminded me of one!
I worked at Tim Hortons for a year (a very popular coffee shop in Canada for those who don't know), and mostly worked with older women.

I hated when they would talk about how men are terrible people, since most of them were married at least once. Being male, it was somewhat frustrating and at times discouraging to hear things like that.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #54 of 83
One of my biggest pet peeves: people who walk slowly blocking my path, especially when they walk slowly with other people. If you have a good reason, like if you have a broken leg, OK. If you're just walking slowly because you feel like it, be respectful and let the other, faster people get by you.

Aug 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks_own /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LFF, you reminded me of one!
I worked at Tim Hortons for a year (a very popular coffee shop in Canada for those who don't know), and mostly worked with older women.

I hated when they would talk about how men are terrible people, since most of them were married at least once. Being male, it was somewhat frustrating and at times discouraging to hear things like that.

Ugh! I know!!!

It always cracked me up. I always had old DIVORCED ladies and middle-aged DIVORCED men giving me advice about relationships.
confused_face_2.gif

A guy I knew would always be giving me advice about chicks and what I should be doing or was doing wrong. Turns out he married the only girl he was with (and she cheats on him).
confused_face_2.gif

The only advice about relationships I trust are from people who have been happily married for 25 + years.

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #56 of 83
Drivers that don't turn their full headlights on when it's foggy or raining REALLY hard or poor visibility. It sure helps do see the rear tail lights of a car lit up. I think some think that their back tail lights are on because their day-time running head lights are on.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #57 of 83
Drivers who immediately honk in response to the most minor of perceived misdeeds on the road. (I've never once honked my horn at another driver--it's just not the first thing I think of doing when I have so many more pressing things to concern myself with on the road. For that to be one's instinctive and immediate reaction is very troublesome. What if you and your vehicle are actually in danger because of someone else's mistake? Are you just going to get really, really mad and honk at them, or are you going to do something to save your life and theirs?!)

Also, drivers who take the right of way, whether it's theirs or not, and then get mad at other people for supposedly causing the resulting near-misses.

People who text when driving.

Cyclists who can't decide if they're a vehicle or a pedestrian.

Parents who scream at their children in public.

Smokers who feel the need to light up in public, especially right in front of [no smoking] signs, and especially right in the most trafficked areas, like in front of the doors to a building.

People who don't understand what it means to wait their turn in line.

People who walk around laughing with their friends in public, all but shouting their profanity-laced off-color jokes for the world to hear.

Obnoxious, inconsiderate, stuck-up, arrogant, self-centered, good-looking people. Just because you look better than most, that doesn't mean that you are better!

Aug 22, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #58 of 83
Drivers who refuse to give cyclists the legally required space, and who get angry when a cyclist uses the area out from the curb that is dedicated for the use of cyclists. And people who don't wear helmets.

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #59 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drivers who refuse to give cyclists the legally required space, and who get angry when a cyclist uses the area out from the curb that is dedicated for the use of cyclists. And people who don't wear helmets.

Cyclists who almost run over pedestrians because they don't follow the laws of the road.
popcorn.gif

Seriously, I was almost hit last week by a cyclist that A) was listening to an iPod, B) riding without hands, C) drinking from a big 7-11 cup, D) swerving and E) running a red light (I had right-of-way to cross at the time).

Aug 22, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #60 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate when people keep trying to "correct" you, and you know that they are dead wrong and you're right, but no matter how logical and well-communicated your retorts, they either refuse to accept that you know better because of their inflated ego, or they are just so woefully ignorant that nothing you say makes the slightest bit of sense to them so they dismiss it as nonsense.

I get this daily! Then I have to pull out my iPhone and google it for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back