Perun electrostatic headphone impressions
Jul 20, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #61 of 440
The bass version of the P. headphones sounds much deeper in bass compared to other electrostatic headphones. In fact this version has a very smooth ('natural') tonal balance. Compared to other electrostatic headphones from other manufacturers, this bass is very shallow and P. has powerful and deep. Open grills version is discontinued.

DSC_0323.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #64 of 440
Perun - Electrostat Headphone

I received the Perun electrostat headphone few weeks ago. I loved the Perun so much, that I decided to review it and provide a comparison against my stax 007 mk2, as that is the main contender to the Perun. All my other electrostats such as Jade 2, Stax L300 LE, Stax 407 all fall short in comparison

To start off, for me to like something I have to be really impressed. I never like hypes or am in the business of hyping things, as honest opinions are what matters most to me. In my comparisons and impressions I will use a simple clear approach

Built Quality:

Comfort is really great, yes it's a big headphone, but the pads and clamping force are ideal, and you can control the clamping force to your liking by bending the headband. The wood in real life looks way better than in pics. It's not a heavy headphone, you put it on and just get lost in the music

Setup:

Chord Hugo2--- Stax 007Tii--- Stax 007 mk2

Chord Hugo2--- Stax 007Tii--- Perun

The great thing about this setup is that I can plug in both headphones into the Stax 007Tii to compare them fast enough

Sound:

I will be as clear and honest as possible. My conclusions are based upon my own listening experiences

Genres: I listen to all genres, indie, progressive rock, pop, electronic, synthpop, metal and very rarely classical.

Bass

· Tight well controlled with a good punch

· Extends well

· Individual bass notes are distinguished from one another

· Highly textured

· Does not intrude upon the mid range

Mid range

· Clear with great details

· Vocals are exactly where they should be in the mix

· Male vocals are neither thick nor thin sounding, they are just perfect

· Female vocals come across very seductively

· Correct tonality

Treble

· Good extension

· Not bright nor fatiguing

· Good amount of airiness

Comparison Between the Perun and the Stax007 mk2:

The bass on the Perun has a defined texture, it is tighter than the bass on the Stax 007mk2, I feel the bass on 007 mk2 is a bit uncontrolled and less defined and can leak into the mid range a bit. Both have about the same bass punch and quantity, but I prefer the Perun bass in terms of accuracy and quickness and being less leaking into the mids.

Vocals on the Perun are clearer and you feel that they are placed right where they should be in the mix. The vocals on the Stax 007mk2 are not as clear and defined as they are on the Perun. As mentioned before my ears feel that the bass intrudes a bit upon the mid range in the Stax 007mk2 and are a bit recessed in comparison to Perun

The treble on the Perun has more air and extension with better details. The Stax 007 mk2 treble is darker and less detailed. Both are not detail monsters as an HD800, but both have all the details needed to fully enjoy both, but Perun has better details.

The sound stage on both is wide and the imagining is great, which allows you to pinpoint instruments easily. I feel the sound stage is however taller on the Perun than the stax 007mk2 but both have bout the same width

I tested so many songs and genres, but I will mention few examples

Coldplay – Fix you

One of my all time favorites, and at the same time, it is the one that sometimes makes me literally dislike many headphones if they are not competent enough. Well the beginning of the song, is no big deal on most headphones, but after bout 2 minutes into the song, the song transitions to its bridge, which roars into an instrumentation of piano notes, electric & bass guitar riffs, drums, and a sing-along chorus with an anthemic feel. This is where with most headphones, things will just go downhill the further the song plays, and things can end up sounding as a catastrophe, as things will start not making sense at all. So what is needed for this song, is a headphone that is quick enough, to keep up with everything, and transparent enough to allow you to identity what is going on in the song. So many totl headphones failed this test song, like the Meze Empyrean, Audeze lcd4z, and almost all other headphones in my inventory. The only exception was Hifiman HE1000SE and to some extent the Audeze MX4. In the past, for me to enjoy that song the most, I used to mainly revert back to my Shure KSE1500, as it's so detailed and so fast and can keep up with everything in the song. Yes, Perun is the only headphone that I owned to date, that makes me smile when I hear that song. My stax 007mk2 experience with that song was not that great, as it was a bit less detailed than the Perun, and the bass was not well defined and the vocals were lost in the mix.

Leonardo Cohen- You want it darker

I have to admit Leonadro Cohen, is and will be my favorite artist. His voice is so deep and the music is so mesmerizing. So I put on the song You want it darker. Using the Perun, I experienced the full effect of the song, with its grand atmosphere and its hypnotic groove. His voice came in so deep and so clear and detailed, as if I was just sitting front row listening to him in a private listening session. With the stax 007mk2, the vocals did not have the same clarity as when using the Perun, and were a bit less upfront, as if sitting in the second row than the first row. I know on many headphones, this song sounds good, but what I focus on here is, the capability of headphone if it allow me to enjoy the atmosphere and the magic surrounding this song, and yes Perun just allowed the best experience I ever had listening to that song.

Scorpions – Still loving you

Now how would an electrostat play a classic rock song, such as Still loving you, which is one of those songs, that is like an erupting volcano. If played on the right headphones you will just feel adrenaline and emotions erupting in all directions. And it’s when the chorus “Still Loving You” kicks in, that it achieves the massiveness that makes it the classic power ballad it is. There’s buildup, tension, release, then more tension, more release, until the end, when it’s all release. Listening to this song on Perun managed to capture all that. Such amazing details and epic feelings is what I got listening to this masterpiece. On many headphones this song as well can sound like crap. You need a headphone that is detailed, but not piercing or harsh sounding to enjoy this song. On stax 007 mk2 this song was very enjoyable as well, but on Perun it was a more epic experience, that allowed me to enjoy the soaring electric guitars and soaring vocals. Total epic experience using the Perun

I also enjoyed listening to many other genres, by artists such as Infected Mushrooms, this band is my favorite psytrance band. I have to say, it was just an experience listening to that band on the Perun. Also, I tried metal music as well, such as Helloween and Freedom Call and was really. impressed. Listening to HIP HOP, like the song A LOT by 21 Savage was very interesting and enjoyable :wink:, that bass was fantastic. Dead Can Dance was another band I tested, and I listened to the song " Song of the Stars " and it was perfect. Listening to all the instruments in that song and being able to identify them so clearly was a very unique experience. Everything sounded great on Perun, bands like Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Sting, etc were an absolute pleasure listening to using the Perun.

Perun suits all genres PERIOD

Summary:

I was not expecting the Perun to sound that great, but I was so surprised when I pressed the play button, it was an instant like, and honestly I can not pinpoint anything that I would like to change in the sound signature at all. It's a great hidden gem that needs more recognition. Also its way easier to drive than my stax 007 mk2. I absolutely think that the Perun should have a top rank among the best electrostat headphones.

20190720_113415.jpg 20190720_113426.jpg 20190720_113449.jpg 20190720_113455.jpg 20190720_113526.jpg 20190720_112839.jpg 20190720_113140.jpg

Attachments

• 20190720_113150.jpg
    20190720_113150.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #65 of 440
Perun Electrostat

I received the Perun electrostat few weeks ago. I loved the Perun so much, that I decided to review it and provide a comparison against my stax 007 mk2, as that is the main contender to the Perun. All my other electrostats such as Jade 2, Stax L300 LE, Stax 407 all fall short in comparison

To start off, for me to like something I have to be really impressed. I never like hypes or am in the business to hype things, as honest opinions are what matters most to me. In my comparison and impressions I will use a simple clear approach

Built Quality:

Comfort is really great, yes it's a big headphone, but the pads and clamping force are ideal, and you can control the clamping force to your liking by bending the headband. The wood in real life looks way better than in pics. It's not a heavy headphone, you put it on and just get lost in the music

Setup:

The great thing about this setup is that I can plug both headphones into the Stax 007Tii to compare them fast enough

Sound:

I will be as clear and honest as possible. My conclusions are based upon my own listening experiences

Genres: I listen to all genres, indie, progressive rock, pop, electronic, synthpop, metal and very rarely classical.

Bass

· Extends well

· Highly textured

Mid range

· Correct tonality

Treble

· Good extension

The bass on the Perun has a defined texture, it is tighter than the bass on the Stax 007mk2, I feel the bass on 007 mk2 is a bit uncontrolled and less defined and can leak into the mid range a bit. Both have about the same bass punch and quantity, but I prefer the Perun bass in terms of accuracy and quickness and being less leaking into the mids.

Vocals on the Perun are clearer and you feel that they are placed right where they should be in the mix. The vocals on the Stax 007mk2 are not as clear and defined as they are on the Perun. As mentioned before my ears feel that the bass intrudes a bit upon the mid range in the Stax 007mk2 and are a bit recessed in comparison to Perun

The treble on the Perun has more air and extension with better details. The Stax 007 mk2 treble is darker and less detailed. Both are not detail monsters as an HD800, but both have all the details needed to fully enjoy both, but Perun has better details.

The sound stage on both is wide and the imagining is great, which allows you to pinpoint instruments easily. I feel the sound stage is however taller on the Perun than the stax 007mk2 but both have bout the same width

Coldplay – Fix you

One of my all time favorites, and at the same time, it is the one that sometimes makes me literally dislike all many headphones if they are not competent enough. Well the beginning of the song, is no big deal on most headphones, but after bout 2 minutes into the song, the song transitions to its bridge, which roars into an instrumentation of piano notes, electric & bass guitar riffs, drums, and a sing-along chorus with an anthemic feel. This is where with most headphones, things will just go downhill the further the song plays, and things can end up sounding as a catastrophe, as things will start not to make sense at all. So what is needed for this song, is a headphone that is quick enough, to keep up with everything, and transparent enough to allow you to identity what is going on in the song. So many totl headphones failed this test song, like the Meze Empyrean, Audeze lcd4z, and almost all other headphones in my inventory. The only exception was Hifiman HE1000SE and to some extent the Audeze MX4. In the past, for me to enjoy that song the most, I used to mainly revert back to my Shure KSE1500, as it's so detailed and so fast to keep up with things. Yes, Perun is the only headphone I owned to date, that makes me smile when I hear that song. My stax 007mk2 experience with that song was not that great , as it was a bit less detailed than the Perun, and bass was not well defined and the vocals were lost in the mix.

I have to admit Leonadro Cohen, is and will be my favorite artist. His voice is so deep and the music is so mesmerizing. So I put on the song You want it darker. Using the Perun, I experienced the full effect of the song, with its grand atmosphere and its hypnotic groove. His voice came in so deep and so clear and detailed, as if I was just sitting front row listening to him in a private listening session. With the stax 007mk2, the vocals did not have the same clarity as when using the Perun, and were a bit less upfront, as if sitting in the second row than the first row. I know on many headphones, this song sounds good, but what I focus on here is, the capability of headphone if it allow me to enjoy the atmosphere and the magic surrounding this song, and yes Perun just allowed the best experience I ever had listening to that song.

Now how would an electrostat play a classic rock song, such as Still loving you, which is one of those songs, that is like an erupting volcano. If played on the right headphones you will just feel adrenaline and emotions erupting in all directions. And it’s when the chorus “Still Loving You” kicks in, that it achieves the massiveness that makes it the classic power ballad it is. There’s buildup, tension, release, then more tension, more release, until the end, when it’s all release. Listening to this song on Perun managed to capture all that. Such amazing details and epic feelings is what I got listening to this masterpiece. On many headphones this song as well can sound like crap. You need a headphone that is detailed, but not piercing or harsh sounding to enjoy this song. On stax 007 mk2 this song was very enjoyable as well, but on Perun it was a more epic experience, that allowed me to enjoy the soaring electric guitars and soaring vocals. Total epic experience using the Perun

I also enjoyed listening to many other genres, by artists such as Infected Mushrooms, this band is my favorite psytrance band. I have to say, it was just an experience listening to that band on the Perun. Also, I tried metal music as well, such as Helloween and Freedom Call and was really. impressed. Listening to HIP HOP, like the song A LOT by 21 Savage was very interesting and enjoyable :wink:, that bass was fantastic

Summary:

I was not expecting the Perun to sound that great, but I was so surprised when I pressed the play button, it was an instant like, and honestly I can not pinpoint anything that I would like to change in the sound signature at all. It's a great hidden gem that needs more recognition. Also its way easier to drive than my stax 007 mk2. I absolutely think that the Perun should have a top rank among the best electrostat headphones.

Jul 21, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #66 of 440
Very surprising
Which teaches us that there are surprises in the world.
but
Always remember
The parameters vary according to the equipment
Even a cable can change
It is known that 007
It is more closed in sound
It may be more comfortable in the ear
I have 009
There are unbearable in recordings that must actually put a cable
Right just cutting the HIGH ones

Or there are recordings that I melt IN

In your case you enjoy all the worlds and that's the beauty of it

Well done

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #68 of 440
Perun - Electrostat Headphone

I received the Perun electrostat headphone few weeks ago. I loved the Perun so much, that I decided to review it and provide a comparison against my stax 007 mk2, as that is the main contender to the Perun. All my other electrostats such as Jade 2, Stax L300 LE, Stax 407 all fall short in comparison

To start off, for me to like something I have to be really impressed. I never like hypes or am in the business of hyping things, as honest opinions are what matters most to me. In my comparisons and impressions I will use a simple clear approach

Built Quality:

Setup:

The great thing about this setup is that I can plug in both headphones into the Stax 007Tii to compare them fast enough

Sound:

Bass

· Extends well

· Highly textured

Mid range

· Correct tonality

Treble

· Good extension

Coldplay – Fix you

One of my all time favorites, and at the same time, it is the one that sometimes makes me literally dislike many headphones if they are not competent enough. Well the beginning of the song, is no big deal on most headphones, but after bout 2 minutes into the song, the song transitions to its bridge, which roars into an instrumentation of piano notes, electric & bass guitar riffs, drums, and a sing-along chorus with an anthemic feel. This is where with most headphones, things will just go downhill the further the song plays, and things can end up sounding as a catastrophe, as things will start not making sense at all. So what is needed for this song, is a headphone that is quick enough, to keep up with everything, and transparent enough to allow you to identity what is going on in the song. So many totl headphones failed this test song, like the Meze Empyrean, Audeze lcd4z, and almost all other headphones in my inventory. The only exception was Hifiman HE1000SE and to some extent the Audeze MX4. In the past, for me to enjoy that song the most, I used to mainly revert back to my Shure KSE1500, as it's so detailed and so fast and can keep up with everything in the song. Yes, Perun is the only headphone that I owned to date, that makes me smile when I hear that song. My stax 007mk2 experience with that song was not that great, as it was a bit less detailed than the Perun, and the bass was not well defined and the vocals were lost in the mix.

I also enjoyed listening to many other genres, by artists such as Infected Mushrooms, this band is my favorite psytrance band. I have to say, it was just an experience listening to that band on the Perun. Also, I tried metal music as well, such as Helloween and Freedom Call and was really. impressed. Listening to HIP HOP, like the song A LOT by 21 Savage was very interesting and enjoyable :wink:, that bass was fantastic. Dead Can Dance was another band I tested, and I listened to the song " Song of the Stars " and it was perfect. Listening to all the instruments in that song and being able to identify them so clearly was a very unique experience. Everything sounded great on Perun, bands like Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Sting, etc were an absolute pleasure listening to using the Perun.

Perun suits all genres PERIOD

Summary:

Great comparison, although not a really fair one :jecklinsmile:
007 MK2 can be had for 1900$ (shipped from Japan)
Perun is 1200$ plus ~100$ for shipping - 1300$

How much of that 1900$ went into sales/marketing? Probably more than the whole price of Perun :jecklinsmile:
A DIY product like Perun is totally supposed to beat near-priced mass manufactured products like 007.

A real competition for Perun is 009/009S.
I have auditioned Perun vs 007MK2/009/009S on Blue Hawaii - it was a lot closer to 009 than it was to 007.
009 still outperformed my Perun, but not by as much as Perun outperformed 007.

I did end up buying 009, but my Perun is an older version with the open grill - I wonder how "Live Sound" would compete against 009 on TOTL amplifiers.
upload_2019-7-22_0-41-11.png

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #69 of 440
I have auditioned Perun vs 007MK2/009/009S on Blue Hawaii
Can you please tell us when and where it was? Year of open grills production and who was an owner?
although not a really fair one
Why do you think so?
I never like hypes or am in the business of hyping things, as honest opinions are what matters most to me. In my comparisons and impressions I will use a simple clear approach
All written abouve is his own and truly private opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #70 of 440
Can you please tell us when and where it was
It was last October at the Headamp store in Charlottesville - here is Justin's perennial Employee of the Month:
upload_2019-7-23_17-51-53.png

Year of open grills production and who was an owner?
The Perun is mine, purchased just a couple of month earlier.

Why do you think so?
I wasn't criticizing @Sound Eq - his comparison is great.
I was just pointing out that 007 is too small a target for Perun.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #74 of 440
I had chance listen Perun a few month back next to the top Staxs, Hifiman... thanks to my one friend. I will not say what I like more would be pitty after a few hours, all have their qualites and I am not the biggest hp fan. But what I noticed Perun sounds more direct with less soundstage as well which was the things I am not sure I would used to it, but overal core of the sound was very very good it sounded kind of naturally which is what I like. So would be nice to live with them for a while to make really quality opinion. And weight headband comfort of the pads is great and design feels very solid and well done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back