Perun electrostatic headphone impressions
Mar 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #16 of 440
Does Perun scale with amp quality?
Yes,i think Perun is a sensitive phone to source,it doesn't need much power but amp quality including source (Dac.Cd etc.) and experience from user is needed to get the best out of Perun.

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 440
thinker: Many thanks. Tempted more and more :)

Do you know anything about their amp? Do you have it? I could use a spare amp for my L700. Is the amp worth the crazy low price of 500USD?

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #20 of 440
Have I understood it right that your impressions 009 vs Perun are based on the SRM-007II amp only?

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #21 of 440
Any updates... just started looking toward upgrade to the Stax 407's I have... other things to buy first, but might consider these instead of the new L700s...
Do have concerns about warrenty... more for DOA than things breaking after the "infant mortality" period.

Mar 6, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #23 of 440
Many thanks thinker! I am really happy with my Carbon/009 setup - no harshness, everything is nice, just enjoying music... So I am trying to figure out what to expext from Perun. Is it worth for me to try or not? I am rather oldfashioned... I do not really need megatons of unnecessary details... There are more important attributes of sound. Your descriptions of Perun are interesting.

I am in contact with the manufacturer and seriously considering Perun though the waiting time is a bit longer now.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #24 of 440
Any updates... just started looking toward upgrade to the Stax 407's I have... other things to buy first, but might consider these instead of the new L700s...
Do have concerns about warrenty... more for DOA than things breaking after the "infant mortality" period.

I have owned all new Lambdas including L-700 .If you have listened to the new L700 and liked it then just buy it and you have no warranty issues.Perun is not Stax, it has not much similarities with Staxes other than being a electrostatic.I can only speak for myself and my experience,the Perun makes music against L-700 .

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #25 of 440
I have 009, 007mk2 and L700. And I just decided to buy Perun :)

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #26 of 440
Many thanks thinker! I am really happy with my Carbon/009 setup - no harshness, everything is nice, just enjoying music... So I am trying to figure out what to expext from Perun. Is it worth for me to try or not? I am rather oldfashioned... I do not really need megatons of unnecessary details... There are more important attributes of sound. Your descriptions of Perun are interesting.

I am in contact with the manufacturer and seriously considering Perun though the waiting time is a bit longer now.

The combo Carbon/009 is certainly one of the best out there and believe it's musical.Cannot comment more that i have owned two SR- 009 phones wich i sold after a while.Even with the second try i was missing something,it could be that i had wrong amps and couldn't hear the full potential or my personal taste is just so different.The Perun is back to old times where it's not necessary to push the limits too far .The modern way wich is choosen in phone development to look further in details reminds me of pointillism,when you look too close you see just dots in random order and when you step back you notice that you have missed the most beautiful landscape.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #29 of 440
The combo Carbon/009 is certainly one of the best out there and believe it's musical.Cannot comment more that i have owned two SR- 009 phones wich i sold after a while.Even with the second try i was missing something,it could be that i had wrong amps and couldn't hear the full potential or my personal taste is just so different.The Perun is back to old times where it's not nessessary to push the limits .The modern way wich is choosen in phone development to look further in details reminds me of pointillism,when you look too close you see just dots in random order and when you step back you notice that you have missed the most beautiful landscape.

Yes, a good match is a must for 009. It is not the amp only but the whole setup. One weak part may be fatal for 009. 009s are very cruel headphones in terms of pairing and setup demands. And of course, one's preferences play a role as well.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #30 of 440
Yes, a good match is a must for 009. It is not the amp only but the whole setup. One weak part may be fatal for 009. 009s are very cruel headphones in terms of pairing and setup demands. And of course, one's preferences play a role as well.
A part from Absolute Sound review "What is the “sonic character” of the SR-009? Well, that’s a tough question to answer because these ‘phones are so neutral and so faithful to the sources that drive them, that they really don’t seem to have a signature sound of their own".

wich means that you are listening to the amp/source and not to the SR-009 .I like character and certain signatures on phones wich make them interesting ,the Canorum is mystic because i don't find right words to describe it and where i should put it.These are features wich are facinating and keeps me going on to explore

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back