Personal CD Players through the ages ~ A Review [Updated 10/05/2003]
Apr 25, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #61 of 292
Puppyslugg...

I'm not sure that i'd want to add 'modded' players, although it'd be good, for example to do a D25S / 'Turbo' D25S head to head
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:30 AM Post #62 of 292
i'll be looking forward to the optimus addition duncan! hard to believe anything that comes from radio shack can be anything other than POS.

on the side-note: in the stereophile review on the player. does anyone beside me notice that they reviewer used like a preamp then an amp for the test? it'd be interesting for someone to do it through the headphone out and a basic setup. i dunno, still a skeptic when it comes to radio shack stuff.

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:33 AM Post #63 of 292
Beastie...

For the line out, i'd be using the Creek, the same as on all the other reviews... is that what you mean, or did the Stereophile reviewer do something different?

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #64 of 292
"
I hooked up the CD-3400 to my main system, which consists of a B&K Pro 10 preamp (latest production run), an Electrocompaniet AW20 anniversary-edition amplifier, and my pair of Quad ESL-63 USA monitors.
"

that's what he used.

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #65 of 292
Ahh... he used it through speakers... gotcha

Thats cool, but I don't think i'd be able to discern as much difference through my Cyrus III integrated / Cyrus 751 speakers, as I can through my Creek OBH-21SE / Sony CD1700s...

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:43 AM Post #66 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by beastie
hey eagledriver,

have you ever tried panasonic models from 1993 or older? i really want to hear what others have to say about the quality. my pana sl-s150 is pretty nice methinks.

does anyone know if sony had a cd player monopoly in the US in the early 90's? is that why almost no one have owned older pana models?

I have a Panasonic SL-S440 from '92/'93, one of the cheaper models of the time. I still use it today as my main disc player, it beats out all modern players effortlessly, and comparing it to the Sony D11 I received this morning, it's very comparable. Out of the headphone jack, they are nearly identical. From the lineout, the D11 is brighter, S440 is warmer, but both produce clear/ detailed sound. Some will prefer the brightness of the D11, me personally, I like the S440. If anyone ever spots the S440, I highly recommend it.

Duncan,
maybe it's just me, but after listening to the D11 using the lineout and a super mini v5, and then using the headphone out with the bass boost, I kinda like the bass boost better, I've never heard bass boost open up sound the way it does on the D11, and apparently on the D311 as you mentioned. Curious to see your opinion on this?

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #68 of 292
thanks EyeAmEye,

been waiting for an answer to my question for a while.

OT: on my pana player, there's three sound modes, normal, S-XBS, and ASC. do you have the ASC mode? i have no idea what that stands for. the manual was in japanese so i have no clue.

thanks.

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #69 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Puppyslugg...

I'm not sure that i'd want to add 'modded' players, although it'd be good, for example to do a D25S / 'Turbo' D25S head to head
very_evil_smiley.gif

No contest!
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #71 of 292
EyeAmEye

On the D311, the same as on the D555 ~ whatever DSP option you use is transferred through the line out as well as the headphone out... The extra warmth & airyness of the D311 with bass boost through its line out is quite compelling... Its maybe detracting from the original point of my review, as all sources were used with all extra sound settings disabled, but the D311 (and undoubtedly the D555 when I get the fully working one come through) really does shine when using line out & bass boost level 1
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2003 at 1:30 PM Post #73 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Puppyslugg...

very_evil_smiley.gif

cd44hi and I did this last weekend. To me, the major difference was in the high end. While the D-25s (unmodded) could make cymbals sound like cardboard, a D-25S with the toro_bull mods made them sound more real, with some texture. Bass had a bit better definition as well. However, neither D-25s stacked up well against some of the other players present. Both the D-303 and the D-777 had a more coherent sound than either of the D-25s versions. I'd rate the D-25s highly, but not in the top tier.

Apr 25, 2003 at 1:52 PM Post #74 of 292
Thanks Hirsch...You're making me want to mod this player before its even arrived
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oooh, bought a new toy today (well, secondhand anyway)... A Pioneer PDV-10 PDVDP
very_evil_smiley.gif

I guess I should leave it out of this review, even though it is portable... because it's not technically a PCDP... yeah?

Apr 25, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #75 of 292
Meka,
Quote:

review coming soon !!

I'll try to send u the file this b/f Monday. Sorry again. Working 70 hours a week is no fun.

PUrk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back