Personal CD Players through the ages ~ A Review [Updated 10/05/2003]
Feb 9, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #286 of 292
Hi...

Contact cleaner, yes... although to be honest, so long as there are no batteries / power going to the the player you should be able to put the cleaner onto the jack plug of your headphones, plug them in, spin them around a couple of times, and then remove... leave solution to dry, and then all should be good...

As to the pots, yes... LamerDeluxes guide is pretty much all you need, as to how successful you'll be, that... is purely random, although as you rightly say, its a very good idea to make note of the original position of the pots, incase you need to go back, and undo what you've done.

Good luck!

Duncan

Aug 18, 2004 at 10:45 AM Post #287 of 292
I have fixed my D-Z555 for the seventh time at the local Sony Service! But I'm still so very happy to own such a fine thing. I had it since 1991, along with a D-350. still in great shape ! They both are, and still look relatively new, after a little pastup !. As a professional music producer / arranger I have had good use of the 555, and among all, the most special thing for me on it, is the "surround" -effect ! I can virtually "zoom" into the background of a track, and study details that are often not heard at all on the regular stereo mix ! It's like you trade the forground and background of the music, and you can clearify why a part sounds so and so ! In addition, the "Surround" -effect certainly sounds different from track to track ! And reveals the inside of the stereo mix ! I think the name "surround" here slightly miscredit the effect. The name is a little on the side on what it actually do !
If your into phsycedellica, this is perhaps the nearest thing ? !
Anyone have a new name for it?

The D-Z555 came with a smart set of extra stuff, among them, I have the wireless remote RM-DM1K( featuring the remote censor "eye" RM-D5K and the remote controller RM-DM5 ), the mount arm CPM-200A / plate CPM-200P, and the BP-100 flat NiCd to mount under the D-Z555. I also have a EBP-360 2-AA inlay to go into the internal battery slot. I have heard of a BP-200 battery for it, but I never came across it. I use Sony MDR-E888 earplugs. They have very warm and good sound with no extra top, to ruin your ear. Realize that all the Discman's from the "golden" Sony years, before and after 1990, lack the ear protection circuit, so you can play loader on them than later players!

The Toslink optical digital out also lacks any copy protection circuit, which came storming strong into commersial products, not so much later !

Lately I have on the way a replacement Lith-Ion battery for the BP-2EX, the Empire BLI-215.

You can take the D-Z555 into "service mood" by grounding pin 9 on the IC801, with no power on , and HOLD off !

When connecting the power, the D-Z555 is now in service mood ! To leave it, disconnect power and remove the jumper.

When in Service mood you use the buttons around and over the front display to operate. A use of commands is in the service manual to be found on the net !

Aug 18, 2004 at 10:56 AM Post #289 of 292
Hi trygveth...

I didn't know there was a drop in AA replacement 'pack' for the battery compartments for the older units...

...Do you have a picture?
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #290 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hi trygveth...

I didn't know there was a drop in AA replacement 'pack' for the battery compartments for the older units...

biggrin.gif

I will come back on this ! Have to take a picture soon !

Thanks for your wonderful review!

Aug 18, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #292 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Hi trygveth...

biggrin.gif

I have lent it to a customer , I'll take pictures when I get it back !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back