Personal CD Players through the ages ~ A Review [Updated 10/05/2003]
Apr 20, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 292
Thanks Duncan for the review, I'm thoroughly happy with my purchase of the D311. I would be most interested in getting a D 905 for portable use.

Apr 20, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #17 of 292
I'm genuinly in awe of the response i've got to this review
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys... means a lot to me! <wipes away a tear>

biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #18 of 292
if you had written this say 2 days ago
i probably wouldn't have made it to the post office
biggrin.gif

just kidding

enjoy your new d555

Apr 21, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #19 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by pod-lover
enjoy your new d555

I intend to... Thanks
biggrin.gif

Make sure you enjoy the amp too
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to finalising this review next week
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #20 of 292
I know already that this 'review' is upstairs, but do any of you think this should be a sticky at the top of page, for newbies to read as a reference? or slowly sink into the depths of history?

...Just curious

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #21 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
I know already that this 'review' is upstairs, but do any of you think this should be a sticky at the top of page, for newbies to read? or slowly sink into the depths of history?

...Just curious

I don't know if it's necessary to make this both upstairs and a sticky, but you could... or we could always just refer newbs to the "Full Featured Reviews" section..
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #22 of 292
Fantastic work man... Great review!
Any chance of getting pics of the tested gear into the review?

Apr 21, 2003 at 1:48 PM Post #23 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrick
Any chance of getting pics of the tested gear into the review?

Hiya... thanks for the praise
biggrin.gif

You're not the first person to ask, and I do have some pictures, but... not got a site with either enough server-space, or bandwidth (800k per image ~ terrible for dial-up)

If I can rectify the situation, before my amendment / additions then I'll load them up
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Duncan

Apr 21, 2003 at 3:25 PM Post #24 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
You're not the first person to ask, and I do have some pictures, but... not got a site with either enough server-space, or bandwidth (800k per image ~ terrible for dial-up)

If I can rectify the situation, before my amendment / additions then I'll load them up
biggrin.gif

I've been working on getting up another Legendary Portable Gallery, but I just haven't had the time. If you want to send me the pictures, though, and I'll try to post it somewhere that you can link to..

Secondly, I've got pictures of the D-555, D-777, D-311, and D-5, but not the D-141, D-E905, and D-EJ1000. But between what I have and those that Purk sent me, I have quite a few of the legendary players, too.

Let me know if you'd like me to host some, and I'll see what I can do.

Apr 21, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #25 of 292
I enjoyed the review Duncan, my thoughts:

1) Don't think the review needs to be both in the full review section and have a sticky at the top.

2) The DEJ-1000 appears to have been replaced with the 2000, effectively though I believe it's the same player. This player does have an optical out, so I wonder if you fed the optical signal to a good quality outboard DAC, how good would this unit sound? The reason I ask this is that some of the players reviewed really aren't truly "portable", so if you're going to compare the lineout, maybe it's fair to compare the optical out from this unit.

I would think if a serious Head-Fi'er was considering this machine that for use in their home or office they might have a nice DAC with them. I think I recall seeing a post about the new portable Apogee DAC. Not sure if you have access to a good DAC, but if you do I'd love to see your review of this.

3) Wow, how long did it take you to conduct the listening tests AND write the review! Must have taken an entire weekend, or at least a full day to do all of it.

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:11 PM Post #26 of 292
I think it's definitely worth keeping it up as a sticky for a lil bit. Also, awesome comparison btw, it's nice to have sucha comprehensive review available for people that are in the market for these old gems. You should also add the D33 on your list as well, it's really cheap too (I just got one for $10 with ac adapter too) and a D35/350 (one of my faves) to your "to do" list
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #27 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
I would think if a serious Head-Fi'er was considering this machine that for use in their home or office they might have a nice DAC with them. I think I recall seeing a post about the new portable Apogee DAC. Not sure if you have access to a good DAC, but if you do I'd love to see your review of this.

I agree in principle with this, I can say straight away that the Toslink output of the D555 is clean sounding, and not suffering from the distortion currently apparent on my 'broken' player...

The only downside to this request, which is certainly doable (I could use the DAC of my MDS-JE770 MD Deck with ease) would this not be highlighting the DAC, rather than the player?

If not... then, I could add it in as a further 'enhancement'?

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 292
sticky..... as a mod, you can give yourself as much credit as your little heart desires. Great review. You've made me want to spend even more money on sources than i already have (well, i've hardly spent anything, but STILL).

That being said, I'm kind of sad that the D-25S and the D-33 weren't in there since those are the only two classics I own (well, I just won the D-33 on ebay so I won't have it until the end of the week). But you have so many other sony classics here that complaining about missing one or two is simply mean. Great roundup... seriously. You've helped us all to spend our money more wisely... and you've increased the street value of a used D-311

Apr 21, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #29 of 292
AIM9x...

The D25S will be making an appearance in the review, in about two weeks time
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back