Personal CD Players through the ages ~ A Review [Updated 10/05/2003]
Apr 22, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #33 of 292
We'll be watching for the D-25s addition and others as well!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #34 of 292
very very nice Duncan, wonder why all the new pcdp these days are soo weak on out put ie: sony 1000, 2000

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #35 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
Do any of you guys know what the newer portables sound like when compared to the D-EJ915??

From what I can gather, the EJ915 will sound not too disimilar to the EJ1000...

I had the EJ825 also for a brief period, which sounded pretty much exactly the same as the EJ1000... except that it distorted more easily at higher volumes...

...I think the 'EJ' designation was probably very much the begining of the end (although I'm sure i've seen it mentioned that the EJ715 is a competent player?!)

Once again, thank you to everyone for your praise... it's warmly appreciated
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #36 of 292
great job duncan!!!!

but is there anyway someday where you can give a second opinion on your rating for the headphone out of the e905 as per purk's notes? ohhhh, the joy of the e900 sound among the ranks of my d303 and 'titan' d101. mainly because of you and purk.
wink.gif

keep it up!!!

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:17 AM Post #37 of 292
Tina,
How are u? Did u ever get the D-E900? Let us know how do u like it with CD3K.

Purk

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:44 AM Post #38 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Tina,
How are u? Did u ever get the D-E900? Let us know how do u like it with CD3K.

Purk

hi purk!!! having a great vacation!!!

e900+supermini v5+cd3000 = bliss.

although i didn't get to have heavy listening since i got the e900 just a few hours before leaving, i had a chance to get a good whip out of it listening to "road to perdition", tool's "lateralus" and a couple of radiohead cd's. i couldn't believe soundstage could be as big as this from a cd portable
eek.gif
. and the airiness and clarity of the instruments on the soundtrack is just...eargasmic (for lack of a better term). i can't wait to get back home to do a through comparison with all my other units.

and purk, i hope you could find the time to read my past pm's
wink.gif
. and i have more new toys coming very very soon.

duncan, the 101 you mentioned is a deck or a portable? if it is a portable, then i have to start giving more care for my d101.

also, i hope you could go to a meet sometime and hook a meta and a cd3k with your e905.
biggrin.gif
then head-fi will be surprised to see 5 stars on your rating of it's headphone out and line-out.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 12:21 PM Post #39 of 292
Please, all head-fiers in UK, send other models to Duncan (just for a few days) so we can enjoy his wonderful reviews: D33, Denon D-150, Headroom's favorites Panasonic 470/570, everything classic. This is too good to come to an end...
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #40 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Tina
duncan, the 101 you mentioned is a deck or a portable? if it is a portable, then i have to start giving more care for my d101.

Hi Tina...

The CDP-101 that I mentioned, was a passing reference to Sony's first ever commercially available full sized CD player, from way back in 1983... and that the D5/D50 was the second ever player, to bring 'music to the masses'... it isn't one i've heard
frown.gif

The E905 is a great player, which is why I gave it a good score, but to my ears, its just a shade too brittle for 'pop', but the other two tracks I used with it ~ it scored highly...
smily_headphones1.gif

...and as per sacriste, if any UK Head-Fi'ers would like to contribute their players to this mammoth review... let me know
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #41 of 292
Phase two of the review... coming soon...

Will include...
  1. D25S review
  2. D555 review update
  3. Sony CDP-XE570 'reference' line out review (full sized deck versus portable)
  4. Marantz CD63SE Optical output review
  5. D555 Optical Output review
  6. D-EJ1000 Optical Output review
(all optical reviews using Sony MDS-JE770 MD DAC)

I think that should cover pretty much all angles... or is it going too far? - I want this to be an ultimate source of information, but I don't want it to drag on, and become tedious to read...

What do you think?

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #42 of 292
Just look at all the replies and views this post has. People are interested in your review and I think the length give it the in-depth sort of review that we rarely get.

I for one, appreciate all the time you've put into it.

Apr 22, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #43 of 292
I don't know about the optical out additions, but I think that adding players and throwing in basic phone-out & line-out opinions is great. Especially the D-141, D-33, and the D-25S, which is what a lot of us turn to as the bargain classic. You have already covered the 141. You're working on getting a D-25S. So all we need now is a rental D-33.

Apr 23, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #44 of 292
AIM9x...

...There is a beat up D33 on EBay UK right now, the auction finishes on Friday evening... I'm tempted, but don't really want to buy a lemon...

...If the price stays low, i'll pick it up... but, all of the Discmen I have right now are in pretty much mint condition... and I want to keep it that way...

I'll see on Friday...

Apr 23, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #45 of 292
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
all of the Discmen I have right now are in pretty much mint condition... and I want to keep it that way

Perfectly understandable.

I think it needs to be stated again. You've done an excellent job with this review. Not only did you give a very thorough review of such a wide range of Sony classic PCDPs, you're checking up on us to fulfill requests. Now that's quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back