Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #1,413 of 1,454
Just noticed that you’ve updated the lineup with detachable cables! I really like this decision. The attached cable is my least favorite thing about the old Carbon.

Will you provide the option to send back the older versions of the IEM’s to upgrade them to the ones with detachable cables?
We're looking at that - but it won't be offered until the new year - we're focused right now on meeting demand for the new units.

Dec 9, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,415 of 1,454
Hi Dan,

The Rhodium DAC definitely brings out more details in music, but I notice a low hiss when used in conjunction with the Nickel amp. Is this to be expected? The low hiss is present in quiet musical passages and also after pausing the music, but then stops after about 6 seconds. After that, it's zero hiss. It happens on all apps that play audio, such as Amazon Music, Youtube, Netflix, Tiktok, etc. Note, there is no hiss when I don't use the nickel amp nor when I use a different DAC cable. Here are my setups and the corresponding results:

Samsung Note 20 > Rhodium DAC > Nickel Amp > Be IEM = low hiss on quiet music and on pause
Samsung Note 20 > Rhodium DAC > Be IEM = NO HISS
Samsung Note 20 > HIDIZS DAC > Nickel Amp > Be IEM = NO HISS
Samsung Note 20 > Rhodium DAC > Nickel Amp > 1MORE Triple IEM = low hiss on quiet music and on pause AND steady rapid clicks thereafter

Should I return it? Is there supposed to be a hiss when it's active? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,416 of 1,454
Wow, the new models are great. It's early minutes with my new Mgs (yes I'm a weirdo who likes Mg best), but sound is very noticeably clearer than on my previous-model Mgs – Dan wasn't kidding about deadening the resonances of the former model. So, so, great sounding! The new shape enables a bit more flexibility in wearing options and insertion depth. And the silver cables are YUMMY – I think they are just right in weight and drape and feel, simply the nicest IEM cables I've ever had. (The stock cables are pretty similar in feel, I think a tad weightier and a tad less flexible but I'm not sure I'd notice if I weren't looking for the difference.)

Still a huge audio bargain despite the price increase IMO.

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #1,417 of 1,454
If you're looking for one of the most efficient and incognito ultraportable dongles / dac/AMPs, Periodic Audio, Inc has something special prepared for you, in their Rhodium DAC!

You can learn about my input in my latest review, where I explore what this diminutive dongle can do, and what it works best with!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...odium-dongle-dac-diminutive-music-shaper.html

Shanling-UA2-DAC-Headphone-AMP-Portable-Type-C-Balanced-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-10.jpg

Mar 22, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #1,418 of 1,454
Hi Dan,

The Rhodium DAC definitely brings out more details in music, but I notice a low hiss when used in conjunction with the Nickel amp. Is this to be expected? The low hiss is present in quiet musical passages and also after pausing the music, but then stops after about 6 seconds. After that, it's zero hiss. It happens on all apps that play audio, such as Amazon Music, Youtube, Netflix, Tiktok, etc. Note, there is no hiss when I don't use the nickel amp nor when I use a different DAC cable. Here are my setups and the corresponding results:

Samsung Note 20 > Rhodium DAC > Nickel Amp > Be IEM = low hiss on quiet music and on pause
Samsung Note 20 > Rhodium DAC > Be IEM = NO HISS
Samsung Note 20 > HIDIZS DAC > Nickel Amp > Be IEM = NO HISS
Samsung Note 20 > Rhodium DAC > Nickel Amp > 1MORE Triple IEM = low hiss on quiet music and on pause AND steady rapid clicks thereafter

Should I return it? Is there supposed to be a hiss when it's active? Thanks.
Is there always the hiss in the two listed chains? I use a MacBook and iPhone and there are times when I connect my Rhodium that it just isn't working. Unplug, then plug back in. Still nothing. Try 3X and now it slams. Seems to be an issue with Mac for me. You have two commonalities that produce hiss and I don't know if you can be certain which one is causing it or if it's a connection issue or other tech glitch that could be intermittent.

Mar 23, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #1,419 of 1,454
If you're looking for one of the most efficient and incognito ultraportable dongles / dac/AMPs, Periodic Audio, Inc has something special prepared for you, in their Rhodium DAC!

You can learn about my input in my latest review, where I explore what this diminutive dongle can do, and what it works best with!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...odium-dongle-dac-diminutive-music-shaper.html

I wholeheartedly agree with this review! I have used the Rhodium as my "Go to" dongle for my IEMs since Dan first introduced it. The lack of noise, hiss and distortion and the accuracy of instrumental and vocal timbre coupled with the tiny size and very low current draw makes it a no-brainer choice for portable listening!
I mostly use the Rhodium with my cellphone USB via UAPP with crossfeed enabled.
Except for total output power, I hear little, if any, audible difference when compared to my RU6, M12 or Sparrow.
My favorite IEMs when paired with the Rhodium are the Dunu Luna, Shozy SCB2 and Black Hole.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #1,420 of 1,454
Thank you so much for providing a removeable cables to the entire line up of earphones! I know that it is stated in this thread that you don't believe balanced would improve sound but I own a Sony WM1A and WM1Z that both utilize a 4.4mm output for optimum listening and I was wondering, would something like this cable be a viable solution to use 4.4mm output with the new earphones?

https://www.moon-audio.com/4-4mm-ba...AKeTh3suEJ3h3UG0UB7-3CV8x-Wn53TgaAiCWEALw_wcB

Apr 13, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,421 of 1,454
Thank you so much for providing a removeable cables to the entire line up of earphones! I know that it is stated in this thread that you don't believe balanced would improve sound but I own a Sony WM1A and WM1Z that both utilize a 4.4mm output for optimum listening and I was wondering, would something like this cable be a viable solution to use 4.4mm output with the new earphones?

https://www.moon-audio.com/4-4mm-ba...AKeTh3suEJ3h3UG0UB7-3CV8x-Wn53TgaAiCWEALw_wcB
Looks like it should work for you. Note that we're 100+ dB SPL @ 1 mW, so be careful with the volume!

Also understand you'll have more THD and noise, since you now have two amplifiers in series with each speaker, not just one. IMHO, the only time a balanced amp stage makes sense is if you have really low efficiency headphones and your amp does not have a properly designed, split-rail power supply. It's a "cheap" way to get higher voltage swing (double) for more power (quadruple) at the expense of damping factor, noise, and distortion.

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,422 of 1,454
Looks like it should work for you. Note that we're 100+ dB SPL @ 1 mW, so be careful with the volume!

Also understand you'll have more THD and noise, since you now have two amplifiers in series with each speaker, not just one. IMHO, the only time a balanced amp stage makes sense is if you have really low efficiency headphones and your amp does not have a properly designed, split-rail power supply. It's a "cheap" way to get higher voltage swing (double) for more power (quadruple) at the expense of damping factor, noise, and distortion.
Thank you for the reply! I just realized the cable I linked in my post has 2x 3.5mm connections, not 2x 2.5mm ones lol. My apologies, I didn't double check it. Would you say any 2x 2.5mm male to 1x 4.4mm male would work with the newly revised cable connector? I found this one which I believe is a good fit but I wasn't sure:

https://bigamart.com/product/ablet-...hone-and-compatible-sony-wm1a-nw-wm1z-pha-2a/

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #1,423 of 1,454
Thank you for the reply! I just realized the cable I linked in my post has 2x 3.5mm connections, not 2x 2.5mm ones lol. My apologies, I didn't double check it. Would you say any 2x 2.5mm male to 1x 4.4mm male would work with the newly revised cable connector? I found this one which I believe is a good fit but I wasn't sure:

https://bigamart.com/product/ablet-...hone-and-compatible-sony-wm1a-nw-wm1z-pha-2a/
Yes, any cable that has dual 2.5mm connectors will work with our IEMs. A lot of Sennheiser over-ear headphones use this connection, as do lots of other bigger headphones.

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #1,424 of 1,454
Yes, any cable that has dual 2.5mm connectors will work with our IEMs. A lot of Sennheiser over-ear headphones use this connection, as do lots of other bigger headphones.
Awesome! Thank you. I was looking around for cables and I ran across this post on a audio cable subreddit in which someone claims that any earphone with a ts connection can not carrey a balanced signal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIYAudioCables/comments/kp593l/comment/ghv09f8/

Would this be true in this case if I got this cable?:

Again thank you for answering all my questions!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #1,425 of 1,454
Awesome! Thank you. I was looking around for cables and I ran across this post on a audio cable subreddit in which someone claims that any earphone with a ts connection can not carrey a balanced signal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIYAudioCables/comments/kp593l/comment/ghv09f8/

Would this be true in this case if I got this cable?:

Again thank you for answering all my questions!
TS on the input (amp/phone/DAP side)? Yes. it's mono. On the output (IEM/headphone side)? Nope. You only HAVE a mono signal to each IEM - a left signal or a right signal. So you only need two wires. Just like a home stereo - one pair of wires to each speaker is all you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back