Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Jun 13, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,096 of 1,454
Yes, you are. Look down the nozzle - where the sound comes out. One grille is red, one is black...:)

Enjoy those Carbons!
Don't tell people. I use that color as a way to weed out the real audio folk - if they don't know red is right, we got some educatin' to do!

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,100 of 1,454
I first heard the Carbon at Axpona 2018 and later received a prototype to evaluate. While I felt that it likely would appeal to a card-carrying bass-head, it wasn't really my cup of tea as I felt that vocals were recessed and tonal balance was just too far out of my comfort range. That said, I did know that this was not the final production version, in fact Dan spent considerably more time before announcing the final product. I subsequently received the production version and was able to compare the two side-by-side, using the same tips, same source and with both driven by the same sources, with the majority of my testing using the Periodic Nickel.

I am pleased to say that there is, to my ears, a night and day difference between the pre-production and final version. While the bass easily reproduces the bottom octaves of any music I have, it no longer intrudes into the midrange. Where before, it seemed to not only intrude into the mids, it also reduced the imaging to the point that it was difficult to perceive accurate positioning and depth.

The production version is far more refined overall; mids are no longer recessed, tonal balance has been considerably improved and as an added bonus, the efficiency has been improved. They are noticeably easier to drive even directly from my phone.

I put the latest Carbons through my usual sonic torture tests, including binaural recordings of thunder and rain, sine sweeps and drum-kit solos as well as both male and female vocalists. The Carbon pass all tests with flying colors, I am happy to report. The bass capabilities are for sure still there, as a 20hz test tone was strong and clear with no doubling or distortion. My thunderstorm recording yielded an almost visceral impact, sound more like a quality overall headphone. Despite the superb bass capability, it never intruded where it did not belong. Imaging and spatial properties were much, much improved over the original.

Dan has stated that a Carbon driver has the advantage of very low distortion, and this was very evident to me even in busy music covering a wide frequency range.
Bass, even at the very lowest frequencies, is very accurate, with no audible distortion. Even the lowest bass notes are clear, not just a series of thumps. Vocals, both male and female sound lifelike and highs are grain-free. Overall, the music has a black background, a characteristic that is most often attributed to the amplifier, but also rings true with the Carbon.

While initial comments on the early Carbon were lukewarm at best, IMO, the final production version rightfully deserves its spot as Periodic Audio's flagship IEM!

Jun 15, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #1,101 of 1,454
That said, I did know that this was not the final production version, in fact Dan spent considerably more time before announcing the final product.
Thanks! What we ended up doing between the version you had and final production was to get the diamond thickness down. Originally we were having an issue with consistent thicknesses below 20 microns; now we can do 8 micron consistently, and that makes a world of difference in terms of mass and tonality. And we don't lose any of the low THD, either - it's still ultra stiff!

Jun 17, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #1,102 of 1,454
Thanks! What we ended up doing between the version you had and final production was to get the diamond thickness down. Originally we were having an issue with consistent thicknesses below 20 microns; now we can do 8 micron consistently, and that makes a world of difference in terms of mass and tonality. And we don't lose any of the low THD, either - it's still ultra stiff!

Planning to bring the final version of the Carbon to CanJam London this year? :)

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,103 of 1,454
Planning to bring the final version of the Carbon to CanJam London this year? :)
We're not planning to do the London CanJam this year; we're focusing on a few other markets. Our UK distributor does have Carbons in stock, though, and if there were a few UK enthusiasts interested, we could send over a pair and a Nickel for passing around and personal demos...

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #1,105 of 1,454
it's been discussed here more than a few times!

Simply put: current connectors suck. Full stop.

MMCX is NOT for audio/consumer applications. It's a micro-RF connector intended for crimped-on cables, that are positioned one time (connecting a WIFI or Bluetooth antenna to a main PCB, for example) and then glued down so they don't move. It's a connector designed for a dozen or so insertions, and basically no rotations. Kind of the exact OPPOSITE of what you want in an audio connector. Which is why people always complain about them failing.

Furthermore, the MMCX standard is so loose that I can make an MMCX jack that is 100% standards-compliant, and you can make an MMCX plug that is 100% compliant, and our parts won't mate (not that uncommon; many don't realize that you could make a CD that 100% within tolerance at the high end, and the CD could not be read by a CD player than was 100% within tolerance on the low end - they didn't completely overlap).

The two pin solution from a several suppliers is nearly as bad. They are typically poorly polarized and you can insert them backwards. They're not that reliable because of the soft plastic wear. They don't rotate. And there are a dozen different styles that are all "close enough" you COULD force them together, but they are actually all different mechanically, meaning you can damage them just mating them.

So rather than go with a poor solution, we went tried-and-true: overmolded ABS and urethane on a heavily reinforced cable. The ABS is designed to mechanically lock in to the main body with 6 finger hooks, and is glued tight with cyanoacrylate. It won't come loose without a LOT of work.

The cable is pretty bipolar too! We get lots of concern about it being so thin and "insubstantial", but at the same time people love how flexible and light it is. Well - those two are kind of related...:)

Either case, it comes with a 5 year warranty. If you absolutely need a removable cable, we'd recommend looking at one of the other brands around here; however, very very few people have cable issues at all, and if they do - we make it right, really fast.

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #1,106 of 1,454
Well said, Dan!

I have been suspicious of those MMCX connectors and have avoided them. I do have a JH Audio product with a 4-pin and a Massdrop/Nuforce with a 2 pin, and have fumbled a bit with the polarity.

If you have a “small loop” could you please consider keeping Drew Baird at Moon Audio in it with connector updates? He loves to offer a wide range of connector options for his excellent Dragon series cables. As soon as you and he are ready, I will be looking to get some Silver Dragons for my 2 Be. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #1,107 of 1,454
Gotta say, just received the review units for the nickel and the carbons. First impressions- Sick Timbre, super coherent soundstage. Beautiful pairing with the nickel.
Thanks! It's why we call that setup the perfect pairing...

Jun 18, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #1,108 of 1,454
Well said, Dan!

I have been suspicious of those MMCX connectors and have avoided them. I do have a JH Audio product with a 4-pin and a Massdrop/Nuforce with a 2 pin, and have fumbled a bit with the polarity.

If you have a “small loop” could you please consider keeping Drew Baird at Moon Audio in it with connector updates? He loves to offer a wide range of connector options for his excellent Dragon series cables. As soon as you and he are ready, I will be looking to get some Silver Dragons for my 2 Be. Thanks.
We'll be reaching out to all cable makers when we have samples in-hand, so we can get as many brands on-board as we can right from the start!

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #1,109 of 1,454
I used the Selectron on the site and it suggested that the Mg was my best fit. I hadn't heard it for a long time and tried it this past weekend. To my surprise, it was warm and detailed and had enough slam to make me smile. Guess it was right. Still looking to try the Carbon, though.

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #1,110 of 1,454
Tried Carbon a few days ago, used tips from its set only.
First impressions:
- thick, kind of syrupy signature sound;
- soundstage depth is much more inferior to Be, width is above average;
- bass is very bold, despite lacking some tightness doesn't mask midrange too much;
- highs timbre is defined better or so it seemed to me, fewer overtones loss on metallic percussion

While this is not a sound signature I'm looking for Carbon somehow left me wanting to try it more. There is something in its unique character, hard to pinpoint for now.
Hope the future will have a good prospect for Periodic Audio company and maybe Dan produce something based on dynamic driver for folks who are into more balanced and high resolving sound:wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back