Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Jun 11, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,081 of 1,454
I was also surprised, first impression of these (as I am sure with the rest of the periodic lineup) is that they are super light weight to the point of almost feeling cheap (almost). But I quickly got the impression that sound is the most important thing with periodic, above trying to make something flashy, even if it means the materials dont necessarily seem as premium.
That is part of it; actually, we do the light weight because of comfort. I spent several years in (and am still in, to a certain degree) the hearing aid industry, and learned first-hand just how much weight affects perceived comfort. Weight is the biggest driver of comfort for in-ear products, and how that weight is distributed is key. You do not want extra pressure anywhere, you want it as balanced as possible. We have a metal back cap because it is actually a counterbalance to ensure the weight is balanced on your tragus/anti-tragus, to avoid weight "hot spots" in your ear canal.

In this case, it's not because we put performance ahead of cosmetics (which we do, in actuality); it's because we put comfort first and foremost. What good is an IEM if it sounds phenomenal but is painful to wear? Comfort first, performance second, everything else comes after that. So it's made to be as light as possible so it is comfortable to wear for 8-10 hours at a time. Metal housings are pretty and convey a "premium" look, but in terms of actual comfort? There's a reason hearing aids (which are worn for 12+ hours a day) are all super light and plastic... :wink:

Jun 11, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,082 of 1,454
That is part of it; actually, we do the light weight because of comfort. I spent several years in (and am still in, to a certain degree) the hearing aid industry, and learned first-hand just how much weight affects perceived comfort. Weight is the biggest driver of comfort for in-ear products, and how that weight is distributed is key. You do not want extra pressure anywhere, you want it as balanced as possible. We have a metal back cap because it is actually a counterbalance to ensure the weight is balanced on your tragus/anti-tragus, to avoid weight "hot spots" in your ear canal.

In this case, it's not because we put performance ahead of cosmetics (which we do, in actuality); it's because we put comfort first and foremost. What good is an IEM if it sounds phenomenal but is painful to wear? Comfort first, performance second, everything else comes after that. So it's made to be as light as possible so it is comfortable to wear for 8-10 hours at a time. Metal housings are pretty and convey a "premium" look, but in terms of actual comfort? There's a reason hearing aids (which are worn for 12+ hours a day) are all super light and plastic... :wink:

Yea, I can absolutely see that after a few days of usage. And comfort is absolutely one of my biggest issues when it comes to IEMs. I have had plenty that have been nice and sounded great, but many have caused discomfort after a short while and some even pain. Definitely not something I have experienced yet with the carbon. I have yet to put it through my "torture" test of essentially a full 8 hour work day of putting them on and taking them off. And I know that I certainly cant see my IEMs while wearing them, so I think its a trade off I am more than happy with. And I certainly appreciate hearing the design decisions that went into things like that.

Jun 12, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #1,083 of 1,454
We are working on something that's better all-around, and when it's finally ready - we plan to make it available to everyone, royalty-and-encumbrance free. ANY company can use it, with nothing earned by Periodic, other than knowing we helped change the industry.

Hi @DanWiggins,

I look forward to the day your better all around cables come to market, even as a proponent of mmcx, which I do actually agree with all your points stated about them, I definitely would like a better standard.
Just my humble 2 cents, 2 pins are indeed problematic at best, never mind when adapters come in to play as well.

Keep up the good work !

Hope you have a great day !

Jun 12, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #1,084 of 1,454
Yea, I can absolutely see that after a few days of usage. And comfort is absolutely one of my biggest issues when it comes to IEMs. I have had plenty that have been nice and sounded great, but many have caused discomfort after a short while and some even pain. Definitely not something I have experienced yet with the carbon. I have yet to put it through my "torture" test of essentially a full 8 hour work day of putting them on and taking them off. And I know that I certainly cant see my IEMs while wearing them, so I think its a trade off I am more than happy with. And I certainly appreciate hearing the design decisions that went into things like that.

Hi @mashuto,

Just in my humble opinion, good comfortable eartips also play a part in comfort for IEMs, not just design &/or material, as more often than not, people tend to overlook tips for various reasons & most go custom for that reason without attempting to try to find tips that work.
It can be a long, arduous process to find tips that work but it is well worth it.
Also, different sized tips in each ear may also be helpful when working on comfort.
So if you revisit any other IEMs, I suggest changing tips till you find ones that work for you.

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #1,085 of 1,454
Hi @mashuto,

Just in my humble opinion, good comfortable eartips also play a part in comfort for IEMs, not just design &/or material, as more often than not, people tend to overlook tips for various reasons & most go custom for that reason without attempting to try to find tips that work.
It can be a long, arduous process to find tips that work but it is well worth it.
Also, different sized tips in each ear may also be helpful when working on comfort.
So if you revisit any other IEMs, I suggest changing tips till you find ones that work for you.

Oh yea absolutely. Its pretty much the first thing I do with a new pair of IEMs. Gotta do that tip rolling. I actually have a little felt bag with at least a few dozen pairs of tips I have collected over the years that I cycle through.

But even with tip rolling I still have difficulty finding IEMs that are truly comfortable over long periods. I find the "ergonomically" shaped ones especially difficult Or really any that are supposed to be worn over the ear. Perhaps my ears are just not shaped "normally" but they usually create at least one pressure point somewhere that inevitably leads to discomfort. Some worse than others. I actually keep the bag of tips in my kit so I can swap them out on the fly, as some days one pair of tips will often seem to work better than others.

So lately I have been gravitating more towards the barrel type, or at least IEMs that can be worn down, as it usually means the tip itself is the only point of contact, instead of the housing or body of the IEM too. Not to mention the benefit to me that I also just dislike having a cable over my ear.

Jun 12, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #1,086 of 1,454
It is interesting that the Periodic Audio "Selectatron" gives me Mg, then Be for the music I listen to. The Carbon is only shown as best for R&B and EDM. So, for EDM it's bass probably stands out? I never thought of R&B as being bass heavy... I'd have expected the Selectatron to show the Carbon's as better for more music types, based on initial impressions of several folks here.

Anyway, like the idea of lower distortion with the Carbons, but worry that they may be too bass heavy for most music I listen to. And PE's own recommendation is to avoid the Carbons; (At least for Folk, Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock)

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #1,087 of 1,454
8 Hour torture test? Is that 8 hours of Yoko Ono's singing?

:D

I know, I know... I'll show myself out...

Jun 12, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #1,088 of 1,454
It is interesting that the Periodic Audio "Selectatron" gives me Mg, then Be for the music I listen to. The Carbon is only shown as best for R&B and EDM. So, for EDM it's bass probably stands out? I never thought of R&B as being bass heavy... I'd have expected the Selectatron to show the Carbon's as better for more music types, based on initial impressions of several folks here.

Anyway, like the idea of lower distortion with the Carbons, but worry that they may be too bass heavy for most music I listen to. And PE's own recommendation is to avoid the Carbons; (At least for Folk, Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock)
Note that Selectatron is really based upon a few dozen people we know, and the folks here. I plan to get more ratings at the CanJam in 2 weeks, and we'll update the ratings engine accordingly!

As always, what someone loves, another may hate...

Jun 13, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #1,089 of 1,454
Oh yea absolutely. Its pretty much the first thing I do with a new pair of IEMs. Gotta do that tip rolling. I actually have a little felt bag with at least a few dozen pairs of tips I have collected over the years that I cycle through.

But even with tip rolling I still have difficulty finding IEMs that are truly comfortable over long periods. I find the "ergonomically" shaped ones especially difficult Or really any that are supposed to be worn over the ear. Perhaps my ears are just not shaped "normally" but they usually create at least one pressure point somewhere that inevitably leads to discomfort. Some worse than others. I actually keep the bag of tips in my kit so I can swap them out on the fly, as some days one pair of tips will often seem to work better than others.

So lately I have been gravitating more towards the barrel type, or at least IEMs that can be worn down, as it usually means the tip itself is the only point of contact, instead of the housing or body of the IEM too. Not to mention the benefit to me that I also just dislike having a cable over my ear.

Hi @mashuto,

Good tip selection ain't easy, I stuck to Complys in Medium myself for a long time before I branched out to try other tip materials & shapes though prior to Complys, way back, I was using Klipsch X Series tips for a bit.
Dekoni Mercury tips also work well & they last quite a long time.
Personally, a method I always find helpful, is sit with a chosen tip pair for 5 to 10 mins at least without listening to anything, if there is any discomfort, you will know right quick, oh & prior to sitting there quietly, gently push the tips in as much as the ear allows.
As 90% of the time, ear tip discomfort also happens when not proper insertion or resting properly against the pinna or outer ear canal so make sure to check this every so often as well as from the start.
Ears naturally wriggle or breathe & some ears do it more than most which is why most people have issues with good fit for IEMs or complain about 'poor sound' from improper seal & isolation.

@DanWiggins will like this but till recently, especially the Slicone H Tips, particularly the Large Single or Large Double Flange have worked for me quite well, especially the latter on more tricky to wear IEMs so I suggest giving those a try if you haven't already.

Barrel type IEMs, Periodic included, do potentially help fit to a certain extent but definitely for really good fit & isolation, short of deep penetration into the ear canal which isn't recommended unless said tips are really long, over ear tends to be the most secure.
Though saying that, I have used IEMs with cable hanging down which are quite secure & fit well too.
Just personal preference tends to be over ear though realistically, I don't mind either.
I do understand the dislike for over ear cables, I sometimes dislike them myself but that tends to be how the cable feels & tugs against the ear in some situations but personally, it is a small issue which only occurs about 2 % of the time during usage.

Hope this all makes sense.

Jun 13, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #1,090 of 1,454
@DanWiggins just a heads up, your earphone tips are called "earbuds" on your website :wink:

Jun 13, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #1,091 of 1,454
Jun 13, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #1,092 of 1,454

Just got the Carbons today. Yeah, they do EDM great. They got dat' BASS. But, I just put on the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" album and they sound great. Bass is strong but isn't overwhelming or anything like that. It's early, but these seem to be a great fit for my sound preferences (yeah, I confess, I'm a basshead).

On a separate note, I can't find "L" and "R" indicators anywhere. @DanWiggins am I missing something?

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #1,093 of 1,454
Just got the Carbons today. Yeah, they do EDM great. They got dat' BASS. But, I just put on the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" album and they sound great. Bass is strong but isn't overwhelming or anything like that. It's early, but these seem to be a great fit for my sound preferences (yeah, I confess, I'm a basshead).

On a separate note, I can't find "L" and "R" indicators anywhere. @DanWiggins am I missing something?
Look inside the eartip. Red is right !

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #1,094 of 1,454
Yes, you are. Look down the nozzle - where the sound comes out. One grille is red, one is black...:)

Enjoy those Carbons!

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,095 of 1,454

Users who are viewing this thread

Back