Periodic Audio IEMs Mg, Ti, Be, C
Apr 16, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #676 of 1,454
Thanks for posting your review. I have to say though that I am surprised you didn't at least read how to tell right from left. You then went on to give misinformation as to telling right from left. Periodics website, the included manual for the iems, most other reviews, and this very thread say plainly that if you look into the tip you will see that one screen is red and the other is black with the red one designating right. I sincerely do not mean for that to sound harsh as I really enjoyed your review.

I always figured it just made sense. (R)ed for (R)ight.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #677 of 1,454
Thanks for posting your review. I have to say though that I am surprised you didn't at least read how to tell right from left. You then went on to give misinformation as to telling right from left. Periodics website, the included manual for the iems, most other reviews, and this very thread say plainly that if you look into the tip you will see that one screen is red and the other is black with the red one designating right. I sincerely do not mean for that to sound harsh as I really enjoyed your review.

Thanks. I deliberately didn't look for this information because you should always be able to tell R from L without a manual. :D

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #678 of 1,454
Also, I wanted my review to be at least a little balanced. I was gushing over the sound, and there was very little I didn't like about the rest. So I made my displeasure in those few areas as apparent as I could.

I'm a veteran IEM user. If I can't tell at a quick glance which is L & R, I must dock you some points. It never occurred to me to peer down the nozzle for this information. That's not remotely normal. There's no good reason to put the indicators there.

Again, my review was so bloody positive, I feel justified taking my frustration out on Periodic over that minor issue.

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #679 of 1,454
Also, I wanted my review to be at least a little balanced. I was gushing over the sound, and there was very little I didn't like about the rest. So I made my displeasure in those few areas as apparent as I could.

I'm a veteran IEM user. If I can't tell at a quick glance which is L & R, I must dock you some points. It never occurred to me to peer down the nozzle for this information. That's not remotely normal. There's no good reason to put the indicators there.

Again, my review was so bloody positive, I feel justified taking my frustration out on Periodic over that minor issue.
Did you notice sound differences from using a cell phone or computer with no amp or dac vs with

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #680 of 1,454

TBH the colored filter is WAAAAYYY nicer than an R and L on the stems. It's significantly easier to tell at a quick glance.

The Be has some problems, 95% of which are the cable, but I really love the right/left design.

Apr 16, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #681 of 1,454
Did you notice sound differences from using a cell phone or computer with no amp or dac vs with

I definitely did. Mostly a separation/clarity situation. A Galaxy S9 vs a bare laptop vs Dragonfly Red vs Question CMA400i

The CMA400i makes them sound the most "loudspeaker-like" and the DFR just has a really nice tonal balance with them, but the S9 sounds pretty excellent by itself so I rarely find myself upset to be mobile with them.

Now, my iBasso IT03 is coming back to me today so I can do some real A/B-ing.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #682 of 1,454
Update: Got my iBasso IT03 back and good god what whiplash. I'm reminded that when I first threw the Be in I thought they were a giant bass cannon, because the IT03 (which I had felt as pretty bassy) sounded downright thin after all that time with the Be.

Whether I eventually decide the Be is overly bassy or the IT03 is overly bright is gonna take some time.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #683 of 1,454
I had the opportunity this past weekend at the Axpona show to meet and chat at some length with Dan. Great guy and a wealth of audio information that he is ready and willing to share. The responses of those stopping by his booth and taking time for a listen were overwhelmingly positive!
We are fortunate that he is so willing to lend his time and expertise to our thread!

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #684 of 1,454
Absolutely! And I definitely like what they appear to be doing with their entire lineup.

I just gotta decide who stays and who goes... too many IEMs now...

Apr 16, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #686 of 1,454
I would be super excited for either a small Dragonfly style amp/dac, or a portable over-ear.

Side note, my IT03 comparison did not last long. The Be has destroyed me. It's not the frequency response, it's the imaging. Everything is so three dimensional. Somehow, despite being bassy enough that it's kind of annoying at times, it's more separated and clearer than my other IEMs. I do not understand. Everything else sounds oddly pressed to my head and confused.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #687 of 1,454

I can't remember the last time I listened through a smartphone or PC audio output. Unless you're using profoundly poor headphones, the difference is significant.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #688 of 1,454
I can't remember the last time I listened through a smartphone or PC audio output. Unless you're using profoundly poor headphones, the difference is significant.

It also heavily depends on the headphones themselves. The output of modern smartphones is pretty burly and for easily driven IEMs you're not talking the kind of difference from something like a big planar.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #689 of 1,454
Ordered some comply t-500 isolation tips. Good someguy, let us know.
awwww yes. thats the answer i was looking for. I see some1 selling a fiio e12a amp, would this be all i need to power from the computer and google pixel to the Be or would i also need a dac or does it function as a dac as well ?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #690 of 1,454
Ordered some comply t-500 isolation tips. Good someguy, let us know.

awwww yes. thats the answer i was looking for. I see some1 selling a fiio e12a amp, would this be all i need to power from the computer and google pixel to the Be or would i also need a dac or does it function as a dac as well ?

For best sound, you'll want the clean, properly implemented DAC as well.

Check out the FiiO Q1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back