Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Jan 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #991 of 1,683
Quote:
I'm using BubbleUpnp on a Droid for the client controller. I haven't found an iPhone program that is anywhere close to useful.
I use iSedora for a server. I haven't restarted it once or had any problems with it.
The PWD Bridge disappears from the net occasionally (the client ends up picking a different renderer), and then eventually hangs. 24hrs is the longest I've made it I think. Bah humbug those software people!
A MacBook Air is awfully tempting. I could at least drag my whole music collection around with one of those. And I could search, sort, have album art, gapless playback, etc. I'm re-talking myself into it as I type....

So pretty much any kind of server option ends up being clunky, that is, if you get it to work at all. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #992 of 1,683
Quote:
People were pissed off about it on the PSA forums. Paul kept on promising gapless, and then realized it couldn't be done without cheating / resorting to special code. The anger has since subsided. I mean, what can you do about it?

I heard that PS Audio are planning on getting a virtual sound card working to support gapless play?

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #994 of 1,683
I have not seen much information on the Preamp section of the PWD 2.

I am considering buying one of these but am concerned about the "digital" volume control.

Doesn't digital attenuation damage sound?   I would appreciate some comments from owners as to how the preamp fares.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #995 of 1,683
You can go down to 40/100 on the PWD2 before it matters.  The gain of the amp and headphones/speakers used will determine whether that's good enough.  For the LCD-2 I use attenuators so I can keep the PWD2 up in the 60+ range.

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #997 of 1,683
Passive pre can be had for ~$100 so I don't see a reason to wait for PS to put it inside :wink:  The joke is most buyers would balk at the idea of a pot in their DAC /facepalm

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #999 of 1,683
Why you guys keep worrying about a volume control for your DAC? You still need a pre-amp so you have a place to plug in your turntable 
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #1,002 of 1,683
In general, what is the best way to maximize resolution (or minimize resolution loss) with the volume controls of the PWD, an amp, and a digital media player?

Is it best to keep the amp and digital media player's volumes maxed out, and use the PWD to control the volume?  Or is it best to keep the PWD's volume fixed (at 50? 60?) and adjust the volume using the amp, even if that means the amp's volume never goes above 9:00 or so?

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,003 of 1,683
Quote:
In general, what is the best way to maximize resolution (or minimize resolution loss) with the volume controls of the PWD, an amp, and a digital media player?

Is it best to keep the amp and digital media player's volumes maxed out, and use the PWD to control the volume?  Or is it best to keep the PWD's volume fixed (at 50? 60?) and adjust the volume using the amp, even if that means the amp's volume never goes above 9:00 or so?

What I would do is leave everything at max volume (resolution) and use the last device in the chain to control the volume. IMO, that would help minimize any further losses from cabling, power, etc as the signal moves through your system.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #1,004 of 1,683
If your amp has volume control - most likely analog if it does.  IMO it would be better to use that.  On my headphone amps all with volume control I keep the PWD2 maxed out at 100 and control the volume with my headphone amps pot.

In the caes of my power amp that has no volume control I have to use the PWD2s volume control or get a pre amp.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back