Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Oct 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #766 of 1,683
I might also bring in the Gungnir just to see if its priced right.  Feature wise, the two are similar.  The PWD2 has more pre, filter and such options, but the Gungnir has the more overbuild power supply and more desktop friendly size.  But both have 'NativeX' type input to minimize input selection.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #767 of 1,683
Quote:
It gets compared.  I can't find a 'pro' who dislikes the PWD2 but do have a ton of friends who dislike PS Audio gear and find their gear too warm and muddy.  They also dislike the Peak so meh :wink:

Those are some crazy friends you've got there. 
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #768 of 1,683
Really though, why bother with friends. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #769 of 1,683
I appreciate opening up the perspectives to the great unwashed. I will be interested in your personal views between the two.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #770 of 1,683
Little question gentlemen:

- iTune : I understood that when connected by USB to a computer, and using iTune, then there is no need for add-on like AMARA or PureAudio because then all the decoding is done INSISE the PWD, and therefore iTunbe is used only as a container/interface.  Is it correct ?   Does this bit-perfect approach work with other player ?  How do you use iTune with the PWD

- Streaming plateforme :  I would like to use OD Download liko Qobuz  (or HD Radio). How the PWD handle them ? Is there a smart streaming solution/interface INSIDE the PWD for the Radion or streaming plateforme ? 

thanks

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #771 of 1,683
Amarra does a much better job than iTunes before sending the data to the DAC.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #772 of 1,683
Quote:
Amarra does a much better job than iTunes before sending the data to the DAC.

Well apparently according to their technical support team, AMARA is not needed anymore because it is not anymore iTune that play the file, but the DAC.  (only when connected by USB)

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #773 of 1,683
All I can tell you is if you play the file through Amarra, it is a better sound than if you switch to just iTunes. There is a button in Amarra that lets you switch instantly between them to compare and for me it is no contest. Amarra smokes iTunes by itself. As always...YMMV...

Cheers!

beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #774 of 1,683
Quote:
AMARA is not needed anymore because it is not anymore iTune that play the file, but the DAC.  (only when connected by USB)

Always was.  A software drives hardware, whether that be your soundcard's DAC or you usb soundcard's DAC makes no difference.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #775 of 1,683
Someone mentioned Wavelength DACs a while back as being jitter free: they are not jitter free but very low jitter and asynchronous operating mode reduces jitter to very low levels. They do have a great family sound which is pretty consitent from the Proton to their top of the range.
David

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #776 of 1,683
I'm not quite sure what's going on with my LCD-3s... I just can't seem to get any enjoyment out of them as of late. Granted, I recently went through a nightmare with PS Audio (horrendous warranty support), so I was without a DAC for over two months. At first I thought it was just the DAC needing to be burned in, but now, after several hundred hours, I still can't get any real enjoyment out of these headphones. The best way to describe how I feel is that vocals and mids are more recessed than I seemed to remember before I sent my DAC out for warranty. In general, the music just sounds dull and lifeless compared to what I remember.

I've tried swapping the driver in my Balancing Act, but that hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. I'm using KR-PX4 output tubes, but I don't have any way of testing them (or a spare pair of outputs to do any A/B).

Has anyone experienced this 'turn for the worst' in sq on their LCD-3? At this point I'm contemplating sending them back to Audeze to get checked out. If for no other reason, it's the 'easiest' course of action that doesn't require me spending mega bucks to get an additional set of output tubes, on the off chance it could be my issue.

Any advice would be appreciated! I just want to enjoy some music after being without a working rig for so long, but it's just not happening!

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #777 of 1,683
Totally just absent mindedly posted this in the wrong thread, but seeing as it's somewhat PWD related, I guess I'll leave it.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #778 of 1,683
Quote:
I'm not quite sure what's going on with my LCD-3s... I just can't seem to get any enjoyment out of them as of late. Granted, I recently went through a nightmare with PS Audio (horrendous warranty support), so I was without a DAC for over two months. At first I thought it was just the DAC needing to be burned in, but now, after several hundred hours, I still can't get any real enjoyment out of these headphones. The best way to describe how I feel is that vocals and mids are more recessed than I seemed to remember before I sent my DAC out for warranty. In general, the music just sounds dull and lifeless compared to what I remember.

I've tried swapping the driver in my Balancing Act, but that hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. I'm using KR-PX4 output tubes, but I don't have any way of testing them (or a spare pair of outputs to do any A/B).

Has anyone experienced this 'turn for the worst' in sq on their LCD-3? At this point I'm contemplating sending them back to Audeze to get checked out. If for no other reason, it's the 'easiest' course of action that doesn't require me spending mega bucks to get an additional set of output tubes, on the off chance it could be my issue.

Any advice would be appreciated! I just want to enjoy some music after being without a working rig for so long, but it's just not happening!

I recall reading that some versions of the PWD firmware sounded better than others.  Maybe that's the issue, and you can try to find out what version you have and what version you need?

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #779 of 1,683
I recall reading that some versions of the PWD firmware sounded better than others.  Maybe that's the issue, and you can try to find out what version you have and what version you need?

That thought definitely crossed my mind, but unfortantly, because my unit is so new, none of the older versions are compatible with my unit. PS Audio is supposedly 'working on it,' but I'm not holding my breath. I'm using 2.2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back