Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
May 4, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #601 of 1,683
heh.. the guy who bought my magnepan 1.6s today took just 10 seconds to determine that the PS PWD MK1 was markedly down on soundstaging and tonality when i A/Bed it against my other DAC..though he didn't know (so kinda a double blind test) which was playing when he and the determination. 

Now if i can just sell the damn PWD MK1 already!! :p

May 4, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #602 of 1,683
Quote:
Quick question. When using the bridge, is the only way to navigate your library through an idevice (iPad/iPhone)?

I'm currently using eMM on my desktop and navigating with the iPhone app.

When I asked a while back they said being able to control the music from your computer was something that they were going to do in the future.
Picking through their forum in the beta testing area, it looks like they have added this feature on the latest version of EMM (But still having issues obviously).

May 9, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #603 of 1,683
Recently, I learned a neat trick to find updates from PS Audio.

1. Go to www.google.com
  2. Type in "site:updates.psaudio.com PWD"
  3. Updates for PWD should show up on the first search link.

May 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #606 of 1,683
Quote:
Recently, I learned a neat trick to find updates from PS Audio.
  • Go to www.google.com
  • Type in "site:updates.psaudio.com PWD"
  • Updates for PWD should show up on the first search link.

All I see is a link to the version 2.2 firmware, am I missing something?   

May 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #607 of 1,683
All I see is a link to the version 2.2 firmware, am I missing something?   

In the past, PS Audio had all of the updates released in this same webpage. I'm not sure why PS Audio deleted the old files from it.

May 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #608 of 1,683
This is silly.  I've made some tl;dr notes here for us and hopefully my dropbox links will work for you guys.  My apologies I may have changed the original files names - long story short they were not so intuitive to keep straight the way I found them floating around the PS audio forums.  I take no responsibility if you break anything!

1. Make sure SD card is freshly formatted FAT32
  2. Loose files should just go on the "root" of the SD card, not the ZIP files
  3. MkI owners seem to be able to use the new FW's as well so be a guinea pig!
  4. Reports of flickering displays, see 2.2.0

SQ / Compatibility?

It sounds like a crapshoot of which version is better compatibility wise or which is better SQwise; the bridge makes things more complicated as well so you may have to "roll" versions to find the one that works for you.  I think the majority seems to feel most other versions sound better than 2.1 but that's subjective.

Even PS Audio seems to admit they are not sure why there are SQ differences between some versions!

2.1.0 Seems to be the current mkII shipping FW - Paul's favorite SQ, many listeners tend to disagree

2.0.2 Previous FW version of mkII kit (used by beta testers?)

2.0.2 (6 files version)  Previous FW version of mkII kit with some sort of unknown fix added by Alex to help some owners overcome install problems

2.0.3 Same as 2.0.2 but "fixed the de-emphasis flag decoding for the SPDIF inputs" - I think this has to do with the coax input

2.2.0 Implemented a different FW version because they changed LCD manufacturers (more compatible friendly?).  Supposedly same as 2.1.0 though some report (positive) SQ differences with 2.2.0.  This file was originally in RAR format and I changed it to ZIP format.

2.2.0 From Jazzbug - Supposedly same as 2.2.0 but provided in ZIP format rather than RAR format.  I noticed a file is named differently and the dates are different hence I am posting it just in case.

May 11, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #609 of 1,683
Thanks for collecting the files, Sneis.  So what do people think about 2.2?  How does it sound compared to 2.02/2.03 and 2.1?

May 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #610 of 1,683
Good job Mr. Sneis.  Thank you.

EDIT: on a separate, but related note, the notion of firmware "rolling" and the accompanying debates about their SQ "differences" make me nauseous.

May 11, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #611 of 1,683
Quote:
Good job Mr. Sneis.  Thank you.

EDIT: on a separate, but related note, the notion of firmware "rolling" and the accompanying debates about their SQ "differences" make me nauseous.

Quoted from the PS Audio monthly newsletter:

[size=9.0pt]In the PerfectWave DAC Mark II users have noticed what they feel is[/size]
[size=9pt]an audible and agreed upon difference between two slightly different[/size]
[size=9pt]versions of firmware running the Mark II.  And what, you might ask, is[/size]
[size=9pt]the difference between the two?  How the front panel display handles[/size]
[size=9pt]things - which should have zero impact on the sound, yet .....[/size]

Tons more info here: http://psaudio.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd5baa3af039b1bce8455f635&id=3aeaafc163&e=9ca0018dc8

May 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #612 of 1,683
May 11, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #614 of 1,683
Quote:
Quoted from the PS Audio monthly newsletter:

[size=9.0pt]In the PerfectWave DAC Mark II users have noticed what they feel is[/size]
[size=9pt]an audible and agreed upon difference between two slightly different[/size]
[size=9pt]versions of firmware running the Mark II.  And what, you might ask, is[/size]
[size=9pt]the difference between the two?  How the front panel display handles[/size]
[size=9pt]things - which should have zero impact on the sound, yet .....[/size]

Tons more info here: http://psaudio.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=bd5baa3af039b1bce8455f635&id=3aeaafc163&e=9ca0018dc8

Quote:

I haven't rolled to make the evaluation but here is a post recently published.

http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/software-jitter/6180/

Thanks for the links.  Makes me start to regret getting the PWD.  I just want something that ******* works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back