Perfect Wave DAC Owner Unite
Apr 21, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #1,546 of 1,683
I was excited in what I hoped was a feature stripped and smaller PWD2 in the NWD but your ears aren't lying the NWD is just not special.  The DSD seems to be hit and miss by the looks of reviews too.  Makes the PWD2 the standout in PSA DAC history as far as consensus great DACs for the money.  Given people chase the new shiny, the PWD2 can be snagged used for peanuts right now making what was already a great deal a no brainer.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,547 of 1,683
I wouldnt buy any psa product other than the used pwd2 that I did. And ill eventually get rid of it for something else. psa stuff does not seem built to last IME

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #1,548 of 1,683
I've had my PWD2 for a couple of days and so far I find it to be a vast improvement over my CD player's internal DAC.  I'm no expert, far from it but the PWD2 seems well built and the functions are pretty straight forward and easy to understand even for someone like me.  I'm totally satisfied with my investment.

Apr 22, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,550 of 1,683
Follow up :

Just added a PS Audio perfectwave MKII to my  Auralic Taurus MKII.  It's connected coax to coax w/my Teac SACD/CD 2000 w/xlr balanced HD800 = OMG !  

The soundstage and detail of the HD800 + the neutral dark background & large & deep (as in depth) soundstage & very detailed, transient sound of the Taurus MKII and add to the mixture this magnificent neutral, expansive, detailed DAC and the sound is "end game."  That's all I can say, I'm totally blown away.  There's nothing muddy or grainy even when there are many sounds, instruments playing simultaneously and they're all balanced (bass, highs, lows, mids) and separate, clear, no roll off, no sibilance and so many sounds to keep track of (depending on what one is listening to, in my case it's Beck, Midnite vultures) it's surreal.  

The best HP listening experience I've had so far.  I don't see myself spending any more money (I'm broke anyways 
redface.gif
.)  

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #1,551 of 1,683
I wouldnt buy any psa product other than the used pwd2 that I did. And ill eventually get rid of it for something else. psa stuff does not seem built to last IME

I was in the first batch of PWD / PWT ever produced and have not had a single problem. I even did the PWD MKII upgrade myself.

That's good to hear. My other psa product was a PPP so I may be a bit biased in my assessment. their perfectwave chassis units seem to fare a little better but still a few reports of the power conditioners (p3/p5/p10) failing with minimal hours. I will say the transferable warranty on the pwd2 is a comfort.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #1,553 of 1,683

Originally Posted by Old Groucho /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(depending on what one is listening to, in my case it's Beck, Midnite vultures)

You have excellent taste in music!  Time for some Mutations. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you dsticker & may I return the compliment & say ditto sir (listened to Mutations this afternoon) 
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,555 of 1,683
Setting it to a steady state instead of variable helps but ultimately you have a faulty screen.  PSA will send you another one if you like or you can send it in to be replaced.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,557 of 1,683
Ive been reading reports of others with the same problem. Its not enough to stop me enjoying the music, but at the same time, come on, this damn thing retailed for $3k. If you have to cheap out on the touchscreen, maybe just dont have one at all.

Also I had no idea there was a solid state or variable setting?

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,558 of 1,683
When you turn it on and see the firmware settings etcs you can press the screen to change the settings.  I have mine on medium since the constant adjustment was annoying :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back