People who don't like the HD600
Feb 5, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #31 of 34
Sorry I meant HEX. I always type them the wrong way around. The HEK I thought did a bit better than the 650. I still thought the 650 performed better in some areas but overall the HEK was a monster, very good headphone.

The problem with "expensive" DACs is it's not always about the price. There's a lot of tricky info, money and many other aspects that is misleading in this hobby, especally on forums like this. DACs like the Gumby for example are first class DACs with incredible resolving. Headphones like the 650 are overlooked because people see the cheap price tag, age of the product next to these shines new planars and compare them on hear that suits the planar better. Equal the field with a good dac, amp and people can't believe their ears when the 650 is outperforming these headphones.

Again, the bass on the 650 is the only thing that needs work, the 650 when looked after will give you some of the best resolution, detail, plankton and tone you will find. Ditch that crappy Hugo grab your self a Gumby and let your Taurus show what it can really do. Love the Mojo though!

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #32 of 34
I've had the HD600 for a time before going the Audeze LCD-2 route because the HD600s became too congested and glarey with 'loud rock'. I don't want to rag on them though, there's a big price difference between them and they have a very, very nice tone, for me it just depends on what you play on them. As far as bass goes , they won't go as 'deep' as the LCD-2's but thre are occasions where the upper bass gives more presence and even makes them more fun eg 'Drive' soundtrack.

The stock HD600 cable is a bit flimsy and I replaced it with the HD650 cable. Makes for a slightly 'thicker' sound.

Though I don't really use them for main listening anymore I wouldn't sell them. They're super comfortable ( clamping is pretty tight out of the box) and unlike the LCD-2s you can much more readily forget you're wearing them

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #33 of 34
Yea imagine modern metal then. Everything already sounds thick and congested as it is, and HD series warmth just adds its extra thickness as if it's made to color everything to sound a bit more powerful. That's what I'm talking about. I want a thin and crisp sound, but tuned to non fatiguing.

I'll have a chance to try out tons of headphones in a month or so and let you know what I picked. Still happy with my HP150, handles distortion and thick music very good. Would try HP200 but not displayed in shops and some ears out there that I respect say their upper freq hurt like hell.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #34 of 34
I had the hd600 for some years and was always looking for a different sound, eventually i sold them and later bought the hd650 which (imo) is a much more listenable headphone, it seems warmer and more enveloping which better bass and superb with vocals from a vinyl source when driven by a hybrid amp, less so from a solid state amp for which i prefer the oppo pm3.

hope this helps

d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back