Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Jul 26, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #571 of 2,804
For those of you who suffer from Photon-Fi (Flashaholics Anonymous) as well as Pen-Fi, I just received a new acquisition in the post yesterday. The new Surefire Pen. It's very well made, with a nice balance. Very solidly built out of HA-III Aluminum and stainless.

The SureFire Pen™ - EWP-01-BK available from SureFire

Pen_large.jpg

Pen_large2.jpg

The Schmidt EasyFlow G2-9000M refill writes like a dream.

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #572 of 2,804
kwkarth;4522809 said:
For those of you who suffer from Photon-Fi (Flashaholics Anonymous) as well as Pen-Fi, I just received a new acquisition in the post yesterday. The new Surefire Pen. It's very well made, with a nice balance. Very solidly built out of HA-III Aluminum and stainless.

I love the design curves on this pen. Thank you for sharing.

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #573 of 2,804
Usagi;4522831 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love the design curves on this pen. Thank you for sharing.

The pictures don't do it justice. It really feels nice in the hand. Surefire did a great job for a first effort. The internal adjustability to accommodate almost any refill from 3.8"-4.25" long is a master stroke as is their selection of the Schmidt 9000M for the initial refill.

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #574 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sent in a check for a dealer table at the DC pen show in August. Strange how things happen. I've discovered that I'm pretty good at vintage pen restoration, and am going to be able to put up about 200 clean high-end pens for sale. The other 200 in my collection are staying where they are
tongue.gif

Anyone else so far gone that they go to pen shows?

I certainly would if I still lived in DC, but now I'm all the way on the other side of the island against the other pond.. Hi Hirsch!

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #575 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up my first fountain pen, a Pilot MYU last week and really love it:
IMG_7462.jpg

(Actually, it's not quite my first. Someone gave me one of the middle-priced Watermans as a gift years ago but I never warmed to the medium nib and the pen itself was a little too fancy to use everywhere, so I got rid of it on eBay.)

I find the fine nib on the MYU works well on all kinds of paper and the single-piece design is distinctive without looking like fancy jewellery. Thumbs up. I guess I now have to investigate various inks.

That's a nice looking pen . . . are there any more recent FPs that has a clean one piece design like that?

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #576 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up my first fountain pen, a Pilot MYU last week and really love it:
IMG_7462.jpg

(Actually, it's not quite my first. Someone gave me one of the middle-priced Watermans as a gift years ago but I never warmed to the medium nib and the pen itself was a little too fancy to use everywhere, so I got rid of it on eBay.)

I find the fine nib on the MYU works well on all kinds of paper and the single-piece design is distinctive without looking like fancy jewellery. Thumbs up. I guess I now have to investigate various inks.

That is a nice looking pen!

Jul 27, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #577 of 2,804
pen enthusiasts,

what experiences do you guys have with Bexley nibs? i'm on the verge of purchasing a limited edition Poseidon variant, and i can't decide between 1.00mm stub nib, or the .45mm fine nib. the fine seems like it might be more suitable for general writing and also things like math, but the stub seems like it would be more fun for normal writing. my dilemma is get the stub and then supplement it with other pens for drawing/fine figures, or get the fine and try to go "all in one", as it were. i am leaning towards the stub but i am still afraid it may be too broad for my writing style -- but the breadth is what makes fountain pens and also italics fun.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #578 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a nice looking pen . . . are there any more recent FPs that has a clean one piece design like that?

It's not recent, but Parker did this first with the T1:

PenInHandJul05_02.jpg

It's all titanium, as well. The T1 was a huge failure on release... of course, everyone wants one today!

The Anomaly - if you've never had a stub, try one. They're great fun - I only picked up my first about two years ago. I thought I wouldn't be able to handle one left-handed, but that proved not to be the case. Mine is a Stipula; for daily use I trade off between it and a fine-pointed Parker 51.

Jul 27, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #579 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PenInHandJul05_02.jpg

It's all titanium, as well. The T1 was a huge failure on release... of course, everyone wants one today!

The Anomaly - if you've never had a stub, try one. They're great fun - I only picked up my first about two years ago. I thought I wouldn't be able to handle one left-handed, but that proved not to be the case. Mine is a Stipula; for daily use I trade off between it and a fine-pointed Parker 51.

That's very nice!

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #580 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PenInHandJul05_02.jpg

oh wow, how interesting! i too am left handed, and i actually have owned a stub in the past, and it was a Stipula, nonetheless. i only owned for a day though; the titanium nib was bone dry. it absolutely would not start. i returned it to the seller, more disappointed than angry, because it was such a good looking and well made pen. if not for the flow issue.

i am leaning towards the stub though, they're just more fun. if i wanted an uber fine point i could go down to the art supply store and get a .2mm Micron disposable drawing pen that would cost around $4. that's my current reasoning basically. the only downside with this is that i would have to carry a fine pen to class with me for math and such like business, while the stub would be fine for words.

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #581 of 2,804
I know majority of this thread is based on upper market pens, anyhow...for years I had been looking for a pen I got from a friend about 7 years ago, couldn't find it anywhere. 2 weeks ago, I did a search on ebay and found an abundance of the Pilot hi-tec-c pens. I ordered 6 pens + 6 refills and 2 hi-tec-c slim knock, which is the tiny version of the standard hi-tec-c + 5 refills, I think i am set for a while now.

Anyone else a fan of the hi-tec-c?

Jul 27, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #582 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Lamy Safari is a great first fountain pen. Relatively cheap, good looking and reliable. I'd take a Safari over a Parker Jotter or Vector.

After going through many Parkers which keep breaking (cheap plastic components), I brought a black Lamy Safari and it's a great pen. Good for use in lectures at uni where I need to write loads of notes, and with the converter, I use bottled ink. I went for the fine nib.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #583 of 2,804
I use the comfy grip plastic pens that you get in a 50 pack
tongue.gif
I use my pens alot and they get lost, stolen and broken so I can't spend more than $10 on a 12 pack
frown.gif
I do have a nice Cross pen that I found, but that's all I know about it.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #584 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by potato28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the comfy grip plastic pens that you get in a 50 pack
tongue.gif
I use my pens alot and they get lost, stolen and broken so I can't spend more than $10 on a 12 pack
frown.gif
I do have a nice Cross pen that I found, but that's all I know about it.

It used to be that the lowly 19 cent Bic Crystal stick pen was one of the best writing, most ergonomic writing implements one could buy, but alas, even that has gone by the wayside. I like the Jetstream BP's as far as inexpensive BP's go.

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #585 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It used to be that the lowly 19 cent Bic Crystal stick pen was one of the best writing, most ergonomic writing implements one could buy, but alas, even that has gone by the wayside. I like the Jetstream BP's as far as inexpensive BP's go.

You can still get them:

Bic Cristal Stick Ballpoint Pens Black Medium Clear 12 Ballpoint at OfficeMax

The Cristal is actually the closest pen on the market today to the original ballpoint, the biro. It's actually a fairly important pen in the history of writing instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back