Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
May 31, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #511 of 2,804
Soft-hard-soft is ideal. Soft but tight around the nib. A hard box around the soft protection, and the box in a padded envelope.

May 31, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #512 of 2,804
Thanks for the advice, Solan. I'm gonna send the Pelikan nib to Chartpak and hope for the best, at this point.

As for the Cross Townsend, I'm just loving how smooth it is and my initial impression of the size of my lettering was a bit preemptive.
biggrin.gif
Now to get more ink.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #513 of 2,804
I need to get a FP for my dad for his birthday. My limit is around $500ish and I need to know where I can get it. (cough...I couldn't find any good ones at Office Max....this will give you an indication about my pen-fi experience)

I use to have several FP myself but they were the cheaper kind and the ink would sometimes leak out if I just carried in my pocket (ruined couple of shirts), so I stopped using FP eversince.

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #515 of 2,804
chesebert,

That's a very generous budget and you can get a lot of nice pens for that much money.

I would suggest a Pelikan Souveran series pen if you want something more conservative. Just pick the size that you think your father would like. Just a warning that your budget includes the M1000 and it is too big to really be usable. If you decide to go the Pelikan route, take a look at ISellPens.com Homepage ~ Fountain Pens, RollerBalls, Ball Points, and Pencils. Todd gives very good service with great prices.

If you want something a little more wild, take a look at the Visconti Van Gogh. They are really something in person!

If you're going to give him a pen, you need to give him some ink, too! If your father does not have a lot of experience with fountain pens, I would recommend Waterman inks. They are very well behaved inks that will work in any pen. However, if your father has experience with Fountain Pens, look at Private Reserve and Noodler's inks.

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #516 of 2,804
I think I have narrowed it down to 2 contenders:

1. MB the OP has 145 IIRC
2. Aurora 88 gold plated large

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #517 of 2,804
The 145 is very nice. It is quite a slim pen though. Depending on how large your dad's hands are, the 146 may be a better fit.

Jun 3, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #518 of 2,804
I've just received my first fountain pen for my high school graduation yesterday! My dad gave me a Waterman Carène in the Marine Amber color. I have some blue ink, and he gave me some black as well, but beyond that, I really don't know much about FPs. Anyone care to teach me?
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #519 of 2,804
Write with the nib facing up and with less pressure you would use on a disposable ballpoint like a Bic. Cap the pen when you're not using it and try not to bounce it around in a backpack or pocket because you can get little ink spills inside the cap which are always fun when you uncap the pen. If you know that you are not going to use then pen for some time (2+ weeks), flush the ink out of it so that it does not dry inside and clog the pen.

To me, the availability of different inks is the best part of fountain pens. I have 16 different pens and 15 different inks. If the pen didn't come with one, buy a converter that will let you use bottled inks. To start, stick with the more traditional inks like Waterman (Havana Brown or Florida Blue are good ones to try) or Pelikan (Brilliant Black is probably the best) but once you have some experience, try brands like Noodler's or Private Reserve or even mixing your own custom colors.

Check out http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/. It's a good resource for pen information.

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #520 of 2,804
I am looking at the black M800 for my own use and could anyone tell me what the band of 'green' is for? On some pic it shows up more so than others.

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #521 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 145 is very nice. It is quite a slim pen though. Depending on how large your dad's hands are, the 146 may be a better fit.

146 it is..thx M-nib?

Jun 3, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #522 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking at the black M800 for my own use and could anyone tell me what the band of 'green' is for? On some pic it shows up more so than others.

The band of green is the translucent ink-window. It serves the same purpose as the short translucent stripes found on the larger, modern Montblancs. IIRC, vintage Montblancs also have the same translucent band. Since the M800 is a plunger-fill, you want to know when your pen is about to run out of ink.

The other Pelikan colours are striped for the same reason. In between the coloured stripes are what appear, in pictures, to be black stripes. When you look at it in person, the black stripes are actually translucent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
146 it is..thx M-nib?

Again, depends on the usage of the pen. I find Montblanc nibs on the wet and broad side. If the pen will be used for general note-taking, a F-nib will probably be best (IMO). However, it isn't so good if your father will be signing a lot with it, or has large hand writing. M and B-nibs usually lay down a 'wetter' and bolder line, making them inherently less susceptible to skip (a big no-no if signing important documents).

The 146 is a very classy pen, one of the two modern pens (the other one being the Parker Duofold Citrine) which I would love to add to my currently small stable. Now the question remains... gold or platinum?
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #523 of 2,804
German pens in general, Lamy, MB, Pelikan, all tend to write a little wider than one would think given the marked nib size. If you really want a true fine, look at Japanese pens.

One advantage to giving a Pelikan as a gift is that, with their removable nibs and Chartpak's exchange program, if the receiver does not like the nib, they can get another.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #524 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
German pens in general, Lamy, MB, Pelikan, all tend to write a little wider than one would think given the marked nib size. If you really want a true fine, look at Japanese pens.

One advantage to giving a Pelikan as a gift is that, with their removable nibs and Chartpak's exchange program, if the receiver does not like the nib, they can get another.

I have to say that Chartpak's customer service is just amazing. There are no questions asked, they just simply reply with instructions and the address for the nib to be sent to.

I sent my nib out yesterday and turn-around is suppose to be 2-3 weeks.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #525 of 2,804
Raleigh pen show coming up this weekend. I'm going down and setting up. Pen collection got just a bit out of hand (OK, it got a LOT out of hand), and I'm cutting it down. Ideally, I want to reach a core collection of about 200-250 pens, but that means cutting my current collection in half
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back