Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
May 15, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #483 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by r1n7r4h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, what are some recommended mechanical pencils?

The old style Rotring 600 series are, in my mind, the best mechanical pencils ever. They're not made anymore, but you can get them for $30-40 on eBay. There are many designs from other companies that patently rip off the 600 series design, like the Ohto Promate, and one of the Koh-I-Noor offerings.

May 15, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #484 of 2,804
My gf bought me a Parker Latitude as a birthday gift. Nicest pen I've ever had for sure - but my writing is so ugly, it forced me to try and improve my handwriting! Also it took me some getting used to, to write with a FP.

May 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #485 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a pen for a Wacom tablet. Although it is a lot nicer than the one I have from my 4 year old tablet.

In my case, it's for a Cintiq 21UX.
wink.gif
It's the same pen as the one used for the Intuos 3 line of tablets as well.

As for "analog" pens. I just got the Noodler's Ink in today. Old Manhattan Blackest Black and Luxury Blue.

I really like the Old Manhattan. It doesn't dry to a lighter gray with "dark tips" like a lot of so called black inks I've seen. Luxury Blue looks fluorescent in the bottle, but on paper is a more faded grayish blue. Looks nice, but it's not a dark electric blue like the bottled ink looks. It's supposedly bulletproof too, but I have a lot more confidence in the Manhattan Black.

The Calypso Refillable Roller Ball works quite well. Smooth and little to no skipping when writing or drawing quickly. Only downside is it takes a little while to get the ink started if it's been sitting around for awhile. I find that gently tipping the pen back and forth a few times before uncapping helps.

Also, the Noodler's Ink dries really fast. The dry weather helps with that as well.

Otherwise, we'll see how it holds up to clogging and leaking over time. I won't be taking chances. I'll carry it in a ziplock baggie just in case. (more for leak protection).

-Ed

May 16, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #487 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my case, it's for a Cintiq 21UX.
wink.gif
It's the same pen as the one used for the Intuos 3 line of tablets as well.

Well technically Cintiq is made by Wacom. But to the main fact you actually have a Cintiq. I am extremely jealous. I have no reason to have one whatsoever but I am still jealous.

May 16, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #488 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
II really like the Old Manhattan. It doesn't dry to a lighter gray with "dark tips" like a lot of so called black inks I've seen. Luxury Blue looks fluorescent in the bottle, but on paper is a more faded grayish blue. Looks nice, but it's not a dark electric blue like the bottled ink looks. It's supposedly bulletproof too, but I have a lot more confidence in the Manhattan Black.

I'm a big fan of Noodler's inks. Of the 11 inks that I use, 5 of them are Noodler's. However, I haven't found a Noodler's blue that I really like. My two favorite blues are Visconti's and Private Reserve American Blue. If you want a dark electric blue, try the American Blue. You can also try PR's DC Supershow blue which is very similar to American Blue but darker. I like the American Blue better than the DCSS because, even though it is only marginally less dark, it has nicer shading.

I do admit that one of the five Noodler's above is Upper Ganges Blue which I use at work when something needs an original signature because it's blue and bulletproof. Its a darker subdued blue but it has a nice texture. At home for original signatures I use Noodler's Legal Lapis which, despite the name, really isn't blue at all

May 17, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #489 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The old style Rotring 600 series are, in my mind, the best mechanical pencils ever. They're not made anymore, but you can get them for $30-40 on eBay. There are many designs from other companies that patently rip off the 600 series design, like the Ohto Promate, and one of the Koh-I-Noor offerings.

frown.gif
I wish I had a way to buy one of these off ebay but I can't, yet.

I also can't decide which fountain pen to get just yet, I am leaning towards the Pelikan M400/M600 though.

May 17, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #490 of 2,804
Guys question about my Parker Latitude fountain pen. I'm new to FP's, what kind of ink would you recommend? I just used up a disposable cartridge, but I also have a refillable cartridge. My main question is, I can use any brand of ink I like right, no need to stick to Parker or anything like that?

May 18, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #491 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys question about my Parker Latitude fountain pen. I'm new to FP's, what kind of ink would you recommend? I just used up a disposable cartridge, but I also have a refillable cartridge. My main question is, I can use any brand of ink I like right, no need to stick to Parker or anything like that?

I am one of the few ones who likes Parker ink, it is reasonably price and it flows very nice. As an alternative the inks from Levenger seem to ve very nice as well and sometimes they are on sale.
biggrin.gif
Of course you being in Canada S&H might be a bit high.
frown.gif

May 18, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #492 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a big fan of Noodler's inks. Of the 11 inks that I use, 5 of them are Noodler's. However, I haven't found a Noodler's blue that I really like. My two favorite blues are Visconti's and Private Reserve American Blue. If you want a dark electric blue, try the American Blue. You can also try PR's DC Supershow blue which is very similar to American Blue but darker. I like the American Blue better than the DCSS because, even though it is only marginally less dark, it has nicer shading.

I do admit that one of the five Noodler's above is Upper Ganges Blue which I use at work when something needs an original signature because it's blue and bulletproof. Its a darker subdued blue but it has a nice texture. At home for original signatures I use Noodler's Legal Lapis which, despite the name, really isn't blue at all

Have you seen Noodler's new Bay State Blue? It might be what you're looking for. I'm thinking about getting a bottle. I go back and forth between their Ottoman Azure and the Legal Lapis. I like both, but an electric blue might be fun for a change.

I used to love the old Waterman ink before they changed the formulation. I even liked the distinctive smell it had. I'd get a bottle of the violet, blue/black and black, then mix them 1:1:1. It'd have a nice, slightly faded look when dry. But I've moved away from the darker inks because of work. With so many photocopies, PDFs, etc., etc., the best way to tell an original from a copy is an obviously blue signature. The Bay State Blue would be pretty good for that.

May 18, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #493 of 2,804
You dont have to use Parker ink but there is no reason not to. It is a very good, reliable ink. The colors are unremarkable, however. Other readily available inks are Waterman and Shaeffer. Both good - I am partial to Waterman's Blue Black and many like their Florida Blue and Havana.

May 19, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #494 of 2,804
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen Noodler's new Bay State Blue? It might be what you're looking for. I'm thinking about getting a bottle. I go back and forth between their Ottoman Azure and the Legal Lapis. I like both, but an electric blue might be fun for a change.

I used to love the old Waterman ink before they changed the formulation. I even liked the distinctive smell it had. I'd get a bottle of the violet, blue/black and black, then mix them 1:1:1. It'd have a nice, slightly faded look when dry. But I've moved away from the darker inks because of work. With so many photocopies, PDFs, etc., etc., the best way to tell an original from a copy is an obviously blue signature. The Bay State Blue would be pretty good for that.

Actually, I prefer darker blues but I want them to be vivid. The dark blue Noodler's all look kind of washed out to me. Visconti Blue and PR American blue are perfect for me.

I also worry about Baystate Blue. It can't be mixed with other inks and it has a reputation of staining pens. If you haven't tried it, get a bottle of Visconti Blue if you don't need a bulletproof ink. Get it in the plastic bottle though or it's ridiculously expensive
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back