Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Apr 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,847 of 2,804
Quote:
Still can't get consistently sized letters freehand. 

That does seem to be one of the greatest difficulties with this stuff. I'm not even ready to try freehand yet until I've practiced much, much more. Here's a sample on simple notebook paper I posted in the TMAC thread (and on a new deviantART account I've started to track my progress):

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,848 of 2,804
I wonder if u guys have any tips on how to fix an issue im having with my mechanical pencil, ie the lead wont advance if i put the lead in the led tube. If i stick lead in through the tip, it will advance all of the lead on that single piece and then not advance anymore of the lead inside the lead tube. I am sad that my rotring 800 isnt working =(

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #1,849 of 2,804
Quote:
I wonder if u guys have any tips on how to fix an issue im having with my mechanical pencil, ie the lead wont advance if i put the lead in the led tube. If i stick lead in through the tip, it will advance all of the lead on that single piece and then not advance anymore of the lead inside the lead tube. I am sad that my rotring 800 isnt working =(

Seems like its a mechanical issue.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,850 of 2,804
Quote:
I want to pick up a converter for my everyday pen, a Cross Century, anyone know of some decent ones? The one I found on amazon has bad reviews and I'm too far from my local pen store to buy one there(115 miles away). Some reasonably priced ink recommendations would be nice as well, preferably under the £10/50ml mark.

Which Cross Century, the old Classic Century or the newer, thicker Century II? If it's the new one, they use a proprietary screw-in converter, so you'd have to use the one that Cross makes. As for ink, Diamine as mentioned before is a good choice, or Noodler's if you're on a really tight budget. It depends on what colors you're looking for and how fast you want your ink, too. For black, my go-to ink is Aurora black. For blue, Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue.

Apr 20, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,851 of 2,804
Do Iroshizuku inks count? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,853 of 2,804
If you want to justify the cost, the pretty bottle is enough already!

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #1,855 of 2,804
Ah, but the concept of aesthetics in Japan is seen as an integral part of daily life. Both the Iroshizuku inks and the bottles they're in is something to behold. 
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,858 of 2,804
Ok, my search for a good affordable everyday use pen and writing paper continues.

For paper, I went looking for rhodia/clairefontaine, but ended up with the Maruman Mnemosyne (B5, Spiral Bound, 80 sheets). I also found the Maruman Giuris, but I'm guessing its thicker because its pretty expensive (~$12 for B5, 100 sheets, folder extra.).

The paper is really smooth, thick enough, and there's no ink bleeding on the other side. I'd say worth the $8.

As for pens, I got the Parker IM (Gold + Black) for $25.

Really like the classic look, and its pretty hefty to hold.

Also got the Pilot Prera (Ivory), and Pilot Metropolitan (Black dots). I'm really puzzled as to why the Prera is ~$50, while the Metropolitan is ~$20.

The Prera comes with a cartridge, I'll have to get the convertor separately.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #1,859 of 2,804

Quote:
Ok, my search for a good affordable everyday use pen and writing paper continues.

For paper, I went looking for rhodia/clairefontaine, but ended up with the Maruman Mnemosyne (B5, Spiral Bound, 80 sheets). I also found the Maruman Giuris, but I'm guessing its thicker because its pretty expensive (~$12 for B5, 100 sheets, folder extra.).

The paper is really smooth, thick enough, and there's no ink bleeding on the other side. I'd say worth the $8.

As for pens, I got the Parker IM (Gold + Black) for $25.

Really like the classic look, and its pretty hefty to hold.

Also got the Pilot Prera (Ivory), and Pilot Metropolitan (Black dots). I'm really puzzled as to why the Prera is ~$50, while the Metropolitan is ~$20.

The Prera comes with a cartridge, I'll have to get the convertor separately.

Great choices! I really like the Mnemosyne Paper!
How is the Metropolitan in comparison to the Prera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back