Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Apr 24, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,876 of 2,803
Quote:
Ok, a question for all the fountain pen aficionados, does any of you practice/use the Spencerian style?
If yes, what pens/nibs do you use?

Of the nibs currently being produced, I like the Hunt Imperial model. But you can get vintage nibs pretty easily, even unused ones. I got over 100 Esterbrook Bank Pen nibs for about $20 on ebay.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,878 of 2,803
Quote:
Of the nibs currently being produced, I like the Hunt Imperial model. But you can get vintage nibs pretty easily, even unused ones. I got over 100 Esterbrook Bank Pen nibs for about $20 on ebay.

I'm currently looking to get into this, but just unsure about the dip pen part. From what I know, and have read at other forums, the monoline style Spencerian developed for business use (non ornamental) doesn't necessarily require a dip pen or a flex nib.
Still researching, as I don't want to learn it for calligraphy, but for regular use (I write in cursive hand).

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #1,880 of 2,803
Quote:
Quote:

I've never done Spencerian or Calligraphy... 

Neither have I, but Spencerian doesn't need to be calligraphic.

For clarity, I understand the both the difference and what you were asking. Just offered my non-interest in them. I write cursive & print in one direction, and print in another direction entirely as well. Not sure how to describe the three styles. 

Though, I can explain that the first two (cursive & print) is a result of writing thousands of personal letters each year. The latter printing came as a result of Uni - needing the Prof and fellow classmates to better understand what the heck I was trying to 
biggrin.gif
communicate.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #1,881 of 2,803
Quote:

For clarity, I understand the both the difference and what you were asking. Just offered my non-interest in them. I write cursive & print in one direction, and print in another direction entirely as well. Not sure how to describe the three styles. 

Though, I can explain that the first two (cursive & print) is a result of writing thousands of personal letters each year. The latter printing came as a result of Uni - needing the Prof and fellow classmates to better understand what the heck I was trying to 
biggrin.gif
communicate.

My apologies, I hope you didn't take it in any negative sense.

Apr 25, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #1,882 of 2,803
smiley_thumb.gif
 Hardly. Just sharing my thoughts; experiences with writing. I never advanced beyond Mandarin-1. Should I resume my studies, I'm looking forward to learning/writing characters... looks fun.

May 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,883 of 2,803
I was wondering if any of you pen aficionados could help me out. I'd like to letter my own greeting card with a broad nibbed pen, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best sort of paper/cardstock to do that. I'm looking for something blank and white (though a slight yellow or tan tint might be nice, too) and, most importantly, something that will stand up to ink without bleeding through and/or feathering.

Any brand suggestions?

May 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,884 of 2,803
Quote:
I was wondering if any of you pen aficionados could help me out. I'd like to letter my own greeting card with a broad nibbed pen, and I'm trying to figure out what would be the best sort of paper/cardstock to do that. I'm looking for something blank and white (though a slight yellow or tan tint might be nice, too) and, most importantly, something that will stand up to ink without bleeding through and/or feathering.

Any brand suggestions?

I'd say you'll need something > 100gsm.
I'm not that sure about a brand, but if you go to a shop with these specs, you should be able to get something.

EDIT: Now I remember, Daler-Rowney makes a lot of varieties of thick paper.

May 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,885 of 2,803
Just got this in the mail today:

Sailor Reglus (Blue).
Has a very nice blue color, with a glowy feel. Very smooth nib.

May 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,888 of 2,803
Quote:

Looks nice! Congrats
wink_face.gif

I bought a Pelikan M600 last week, and I'm waiting for a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 to arrive
ph34r.gif

Thanks.
I'm really smitten by the Pelikans, but the price keeps me away.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back