Pen-Fi (FPs, RBs, BPs, etc...) [56k Warning]
Sep 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,621 of 2,804
Quote:

Quote:
Fantastic finish!

Tonight, I wrapped up spending for the month of September...and what a finish. I got a second Pilot Falcon Metal Fountain pen, Soft Fine nib, Black body. Time now to compare Blue inks by Pilot...

PN60570-4T.jpg

Ideally, I'd like to stay mobile with the Black pen/Blue ink pairing for business reasons. And keep the Sapphire pen/Purple ink for writing personal notes, cards and letters. And because I can't afford to leave home and lose both, whichever I leave the house with, one shall remain behind.
popcorn.gif

Oooow! The Soft Extra-Fine Falcon makes me sooo unsure about buying new headphones
ph34r.gif

(BTW I have a  Pilot VP 18k M nib if someone would need one, I want an EF)

Based on the angles and pressure at which I write and print (two different ways each=4), I'm finding Pilot's Soft Fine to be on the money. This is how it should be since...
dt880smile.png
they got money money! How I was able to make back to back non-audio purchases is way beyond me. It wasn't easy, but I believe the wonderful membership present may have helped.

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #1,623 of 2,804
The Black Pilot Metal Falcon arrived a day early! This model is fantastique! Temporarily using the standard Blue ink cartridge in this one - way too light for my taste. I've yet to write my first full letter by hand with either pen. But Thursday, I'm going to take the day off and hang out cafe side (will walk around and visit a few) and write a few letters...very excited.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #1,624 of 2,804

So I've been thinking about this lately, and I was debating on getting either the Noodler Ahab OR a Lamy Safari. All that being said, this would be my first fountain pen, however I would intend it to be used for small notes, letters to friends and family, and some small essays. it has to be capable of small font, preferably a *bit* smaller than what is pictured, but honestly I would love the ability to go back and forth between font sizes. I understand the implications of a flex nib and fully accept the possibility of anything going wrong, tweaking, etc.  My MAIN concern is just getting one that would improve my handwriting or force me to take more time on it and accentuate my letters more and make them more pronounced. Pictured is a rolling Writer rollerball pen on fountain pen paper (believe it's called clairfontaine), image is enhanced, ball is .8mm. This type of pen is exceptionally smooth to write with, (it's almost like taking a finger and rubbing grease or shaving cream into glass) I just want to know if I would be making the right decision to get an Ahab over a Safari for the price point, if I won't go over $40 for pen+ink+shipping. What other options are out there that would have a flex tip, and also if I DO choose a safari or a different pen, what looks like a good nib size for me and my handwriting?

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #1,625 of 2,804
Quote:

So I've been thinking about this lately, and I was debating on getting either the Noodler Ahab OR a Lamy Safari. All that being said, this would be my first fountain pen, however I would intend it to be used for small notes, letters to friends and family, and some small essays. it has to be capable of small font, preferably a *bit* smaller than what is pictured, but honestly I would love the ability to go back and forth between font sizes. I understand the implications of a flex nib and fully accept the possibility of anything going wrong, tweaking, etc.  My MAIN concern is just getting one that would improve my handwriting or force me to take more time on it and accentuate my letters more and make them more pronounced. Pictured is a rolling Writer rollerball pen on fountain pen paper (believe it's called clairfontaine), image is enhanced, ball is .8mm. This type of pen is exceptionally smooth to write with, (it's almost like taking a finger and rubbing grease or shaving cream into glass) I just want to know if I would be making the right decision to get an Ahab over a Safari for the price point, if I won't go over $40 for pen+ink+shipping. What other options are out there that would have a flex tip, and also if I DO choose a safari or a different pen, what looks like a good nib size for me and my handwriting?

I would personally think you are better off getting a fine nibbed Safari and a broad nibbed Safari and switching between them as you please.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #1,626 of 2,804
I would add, if our fellow member wanted script finer than the example shown, Extra Fine nib with the Safari would be needed. My Safari with a Fine nib looks like medium script and I have a very light touch.

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #1,628 of 2,804
Quote:

The following link may be of help to you; others. The author also have some other insightful posts:

http://europeanpaper.com/blog/2012/07/12/how-to-write-with-a-fountain-pen/

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #1,631 of 2,804
The Bexley Americana came in and it's stunningly beautiful. Probably my best writer and one of my cheapest too...

I got it at a discount due to a slight defect but it is one of the few pens I wouldn't mind paying full retail for.

Missed out a beautiful Pelikan m805 though...

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #1,633 of 2,804
Amazing how many addictions we share...

My current favorite is my Kaweco AC Sport (Limited Edition Red) fountain pen. Aluminium and carbon body:

You can also see another favorite of mine in the background: Sharbo X 3-in-1.

Cheers,

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #1,634 of 2,804

I nabbed the grey fox color scheme and bought some noodler's black as well as the apache. The apache is more watery than the black, and simply doesn't flow as smoothly. (the apache flows and absorbs like watercolor, whereas the black actually acts like an ink) but the shading and color makes up for it.

Also, I think my handwriting looks somewhat bad. It looks good, but nothing special imo. Can you guys read it alright?

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #1,635 of 2,804
Quote:
Amazing how many addictions we share...

My current favorite is my Kaweco AC Sport (Limited Edition Red) fountain pen. Aluminium and carbon body:

You can also see another favorite of mine in the background: Sharbo X 3-in-1.

Cheers,

That AC Sport is s-o-o-o-o very sexy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back