PC to Mac: My Not-So-Genius Switch
Mar 25, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #256 of 637
obviously he means windows > os x.

I'm back to using OS X again. I grew up with Apple(G3 days and before) and stopped using it around the time the intel chips came in. I just felt xp did what it needed to do, and hardware was always cheaper(at that time I was having to buy my own pc stuff instead of my parents).

Despite 7 being on the way, Vista had really turned me off on Windows. That and accidentally downloading a virus instead of a recent episode of Lost on usenet(lol).

Traded my x300(who's value has sunk like a tank), for the last gen BlackBook. I wanted a unibody MacBook but the only person who considered trading backed out. The past few days have been heavenly. I've had a few crashes compared to the hourly ones i'd get with xp. My only beef is having to control click, but otherwise I feel so dumb for leaving in the first place.

I really need to learn how to use quicksilver. I'm sure my computer usage and life would be better for it.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #257 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boot up? Who turns off their computers
biggrin.gif

The planet thanks you...
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #258 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite 7 being on the way, Vista had really turned me off on Windows. ....The past few days have been heavenly. I've had a few crashes compared to the hourly ones i'd get with xp. ....

Vista woeful. Tried it one machine for a year and still hate it. Windows 7 is much better, not bad at all. I don't really see either has anything I "need" over XP. I've only had Windows 7 for a couple of months so its early days.

Either on my home machine or my work machine, I would rarely see a crash. Maybe one every few months. But its so rare I can't remember the last time. If you getting hourly crashes theres a serious problem with the machine you need to fix. That is not typical.

I also use Mac's but need Windows for Work. I don't really have a problem with either OS tbh happy using either. Where I am the Mac hardware is almost 3 times the cost of the Windows alternative.

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #259 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But a Mac is a PC.

PC = personal computer, as long as an individual buys a computer its a pc whether it has window, the max OS, linux etc...

Hear, hear!
Finally one who know the word!
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #261 of 637
I don't mean to start a quarrel here, but I don't get the bad name that Vista still has. I'll grant you that Vista had driver issues (hardware manufacturer's fault, particularly with nVidia) and mediocre performance, but, as it is now, I can't imagine going back to the mess that is XP.

Every XP install I've had degraded over time, despite my ardent efforts to maintain its integrity. Performance loss, need to restart becoming increasingly common, and hidden problems causing all manner of issues that I have no idea how to solve pervade the XP experience. Once it got bad enough, the only thing left to do was reformat and start again. The whole thing was, and is, a ridiculous exercise in frustration.

On my (now more than a year old) current PC, running Vista x64 Home Premium or whatever they're calling it, has been the most stable operating environment I've ever encountered. I can freely leave my computer on for weeks at a time (no restarts, either), with absolutely no performance degradation. The only time I've had to reinstall Vista was when my hard drive died. I get no system errors, no blue screens, and, if a program starts having a fit, Task Manager ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, clears it up, and brings me back to full system speed and stability. I have NEVER had a program crash my machine.

Windows 7's right around the corner, so this post is largely moot, but I still have to take issue with anyone who makes broad, dismissive remarks about Vista when they obviously have no experience with the operating system in its current form. As it is, it's a fantastic operating system, certainly the most reliable and, yes, peppy (there's no way an XP install would be performing this well after a year of my, admittedly careful, use) OS I've ever used. I'll never go back to XP, and the thought that someone would choose XP over Vista for a new machine just strikes me as tragic.

Also: The HD800 looks awesome.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #262 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
obviously he means windows > os x.

I'm back to using OS X again. I grew up with Apple(G3 days and before) and stopped using it around the time the intel chips came in. I just felt xp did what it needed to do, and hardware was always cheaper(at that time I was having to buy my own pc stuff instead of my parents).

Despite 7 being on the way, Vista had really turned me off on Windows. That and accidentally downloading a virus instead of a recent episode of Lost on usenet(lol).

Traded my x300(who's value has sunk like a tank), for the last gen BlackBook. I wanted a unibody MacBook but the only person who considered trading backed out. The past few days have been heavenly. I've had a few crashes compared to the hourly ones i'd get with xp. My only beef is having to control click, but otherwise I feel so dumb for leaving in the first place.

I really need to learn how to use quicksilver. I'm sure my computer usage and life would be better for it.

If you're running Leopard, you can change the activation of a control-click to make it more convenient. Check the trackpad tab in the settings menu, and experiment with the 2 finger right click. Personally, its streamlined my workflow greatly in applications like Word and Photoshop that rely heavily on control clicking.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #264 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But everyone knows what is meant when people say PC. There's no need to be pedantic.

A computer for personal use, running one of the major operating systems. Like Mac OS X, MS Windows or GNU/Linux...
popcorn.gif

Ok, I what what most you guys mean by the word "PC". But in my opinion all of you are wrong.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #266 of 637
Totally agree with you there, most of the Vista issues were due to immature drivers and nothing to do with the OS being unstable. When I was using XP I reformateed around every 3-4 months because it just got way too slow, my Vista install is over a year old and as fast as the day it was installed and the only time I had bluescreens was when testing overclocks. My computer runs 24/7 most of the time and with Vista it just doesn't crap out like XP whenever a buggy game froze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to start a quarrel here, but I don't get the bad name that Vista still has. I'll grant you that Vista had driver issues (hardware manufacturer's fault, particularly with nVidia) and mediocre performance, but, as it is now, I can't imagine going back to the mess that is XP.

Every XP install I've had degraded over time, despite my ardent efforts to maintain its integrity. Performance loss, need to restart becoming increasingly common, and hidden problems causing all manner of issues that I have no idea how to solve pervade the XP experience. Once it got bad enough, the only thing left to do was reformat and start again. The whole thing was, and is, a ridiculous exercise in frustration.

On my (now more than a year old) current PC, running Vista x64 Home Premium or whatever they're calling it, has been the most stable operating environment I've ever encountered. I can freely leave my computer on for weeks at a time (no restarts, either), with absolutely no performance degradation. The only time I've had to reinstall Vista was when my hard drive died. I get no system errors, no blue screens, and, if a program starts having a fit, Task Manager ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, clears it up, and brings me back to full system speed and stability. I have NEVER had a program crash my machine.

Windows 7's right around the corner, so this post is largely moot, but I still have to take issue with anyone who makes broad, dismissive remarks about Vista when they obviously have no experience with the operating system in its current form. As it is, it's a fantastic operating system, certainly the most reliable and, yes, peppy (there's no way an XP install would be performing this well after a year of my, admittedly careful, use) OS I've ever used. I'll never go back to XP, and the thought that someone would choose XP over Vista for a new machine just strikes me as tragic.

Also: The HD800 looks awesome.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #267 of 637
While I agree with krmathis PC was originally personnel computer which just about covered any consumer computer but through the years and even Apple's own ads
Hello I"m a Mac and I"m a PC has generalized the statement that if its not a Mac then
its a PC.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #268 of 637
In general usage PC means the collection of hardware and software that gets you the windows operating environment. Just like in general usage MAC means the collection of hardware and software that gets you the macintosh operating environment. It's really not that complicated, even if it's not always specifically accurate from a precise definition.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #269 of 637
^ I believe in precise definition!
wink.gif

We agree to disagree about what is meant by the word "PC", and that is fine for me.

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #270 of 637
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I believe in precise definition!
wink.gif

We agree to disagree about what is meant by the word "PC", and that is fine for me.

I understand that you are not a native English speaker. You do understand that "precise" doesn't mean the same thing as "pedantic", don't you? IMO, you are being pedantic, not precise. Of course, we can agree to disagree about this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back