PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Sep 9, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #8,401 of 9,120
Hah, glad it worked. I actually started to have the same problem with Chrome back in Windows 7 and the Beta swapped worked for me about a year ago. But now I just decided Beta was better in general.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #8,402 of 9,120
Just got CompTIA Security+ certified today with an 802. :D A friend got me into a free summer program where they taught it and paid for the test!

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #8,403 of 9,120
Does it really matter what brand I get some individually braided extension cables from? There's these pretty decent looking Raidmax cables, and I can't attest to the quality, and it's getting harder to find the Bitfenix extensions. What do you guys think?

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #8,404 of 9,120
Does it really matter what brand I get some individually braided extension cables from? There's these pretty decent looking Raidmax cables, and I can't attest to the quality, and it's getting harder to find the Bitfenix extensions. What do you guys think?

NZXT has extensions too.

It's pretty hard to screw up the basics. The only thing they can screw up is the quality of the sleeving and the heatshrinking. Extensions usually don't have an issue unlike full on replacement cables because as far as I remember, Seasonic has some pins switched around on their cables and connectors that need careful attention when making custom cables. Extensions have no issue b/c the pin out at the other end of the cable should be normal.

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #8,405 of 9,120
NZXT has extensions too.

It's pretty hard to screw up the basics. The only thing they can screw up is the quality of the sleeving and the heatshrinking. Extensions usually don't have an issue unlike full on replacement cables because as far as I remember, Seasonic has some pins switched around on their cables and connectors that need careful attention when making custom cables. Extensions have no issue b/c the pin out at the other end of the cable should be normal.
They only have black AFAIK. Thanks for the tip, I was afraid of destroying my system with schitty cables.

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #8,406 of 9,120
So I'm in the market for a new GPU to replace my aging and dying GTX650ti Boost.  I decided that I'm gonna go with the GTX970, but I can't seem to decide which manufacturer to get one from. I'm probably going with the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, I like how cool and quiet it runs with that massive cooler. 
So on my list (in order of interest, greatest to least):
- Gigabyte G1 Gaming (Massive cooler, I watched a vid where JaysTwoCents got an amazing overclock, but I forgot how much)
- Asus Strix (because everyone likes this card for some reason)
- EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0 (I heard there were some PCB issues and something with the cooler not fitting like it should)
- MSI Gaming 4G (I really don't like this. It's ugly.)

Do all of these cards have that feature where the fans stay off when it's under a certain temp? I know the Strix and ACX do this. Not sure about the G1.

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #8,407 of 9,120
  So I'm in the market for a new GPU to replace my aging and dying GTX650ti Boost.  I decided that I'm gonna go with the GTX970, but I can't seem to decide which manufacturer to get one from. I'm probably going with the Gigabyte G1 Gaming, I like how cool and quiet it runs with that massive cooler. 
- Gigabyte G1 Gaming (Massive cooler, I watched a vid where JaysTwoCents got an amazing overclock, but I forgot how much)
- EVGA SC+ ACX 2.0 (I heard there were some PCB issues and something with the cooler not fitting like it should)

Do all of these cards have that feature where the fans stay off when it's under a certain temp? I know the Strix and ACX do this. Not sure about the G1.

Good choice on the 970.
I can see you like open back cans and probably when you are listening to them, your PC is on idle. In that case
the G1 is not your best bet because it does not have the 0db feature some other cards have. 
I own the G1 970 too and i'd prefer if it was silent in idle usage. 
You should go with the Strix imho.

Sep 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #8,408 of 9,120
My new layout for my gaming/listening setup

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #8,409 of 9,120

I'm pretty sure you can manually set fan curves with some of the OC software or something. Don't quote me on that though, I just happened to read it awhile ago.

Also I don't know how big of a computer you have but like many people say, beware the open-styled coolers vs blower styled.

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #8,410 of 9,120

The Strix is nearly dead silent, even when both fans are running. There are neither stability nor driver issues, and it performs fantastically. I used to own a Gigabyte 660ti, but it had a very annoying tone to it; I can't say that I'd ever recommend a Gigabyte card to anyone bearing silence in mind (all the Gigabyte cards seem to use the same cooling solution).

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #8,411 of 9,120
As long as it isn't close to as loud as my freaking blower 650ti Boost, it'll be ok. The thing is, though I do use open cans, the noise doesn't bother me too much until I'm gaming and the fan spools up and gets all whiny. The 0dB idle thing is only a bonus to the card. If anything, I can set fan curves to as low as possible when idle/under 40°C. My main attractions are the OC-ability and overall quietness.

I have a 350D for a case, and I don't plan on SLI'ing the 970s, so I think the open coolers will be fine. 

Ayyy Coolzo! The older Gigabyte cards used that semi-translucent, glossy plastic and such. They updated the coolers a little bit ago, but I'll take that into consideration 

Quote:
  My new layout for my gaming/listening setup

pssssst... Clean up those cables :p

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #8,412 of 9,120
I know, right... Cables everywhere.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #8,413 of 9,120
I dunno bout asus or evga but for msi ek has waterblocks for them. And msi you can unlock the voltage with msi afterburner. Making resale value good. I would stick with an msi card.
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-127-850

Users who are viewing this thread

Back