PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Sep 23, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #8,416 of 9,120
After years and years of only ever owning hand-me-down monitors, I finally parted with some cash to get a Samsung SE360 24" monitor. First time I've actually BOUGHT a monitor ever.

I had actually seen it at Costco and thought it looked really nice.

hk-en_LS27E360HS-XK_004_R-Perspective_white

It monitor itself is very pretty, but the image quality is also super nice. Didn't actually get it at Costco, as ordering it online saved me $100.

It's really jarring going from a 19" 16:10 monitor to a 24" 16:9 one. This thing seems absolutely gargantuan.

Anyway, thanks to Nvidia's DSR I've been toying around with 4k. Most older games run just fine on my computer, but newer games are frustratingly close to running. Dragon Age Inquisition gets like 24-28FPS.

Assassin's Creed Unity is further from running... But man is it a sight to behold.

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #8,417 of 9,120

Anyway, thanks to Nvidia's DSR I've been toying around with 4k. Most older games run just fine on my computer, but newer games are frustratingly close to running. Dragon Age Inquisition gets like 24-28FPS.

I *love* Nvidia DSR ... 

I haven't used it since getting a G Sync monitor cause I don't think they've worked out how to make DSR work with G sync ... but before my new monitor, I would run almost 100% of the time at 5120x2880 (using my 1440p monitor) ... the image quality and overall HUGE view on the game world was so insanely great and with x2 980's, things ran exceedingly well.

Can't wait till they release a driver that mates G sync to DSR ... 

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #8,419 of 9,120
Is it worth (or even possible) to use DSR when already running 4K? I suppose even if possible, a single 980ti wouldn't have the power to push that much rendering?

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #8,420 of 9,120
  DSR exists only for computers, not for laptops too? I am running a gtx 860m, so I thought that I might give it a try, but I cannot fiind from where to activate it. 

As far as I know ... none of the mobile GPU's support it yet ...

Though I've heard mention that they are working on releasing it at some point.

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #8,421 of 9,120
DSR exists only for computers, not for laptops too? I am running a gtx 860m, so I thought that I might give it a try, but I cannot fiind from where to activate it. 
You can "DSR" super easy on it, it's just Nvidias term for downsampling, here's a link for how to do it. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076 [RULE]This works for any GPU also, so there should be no issues.

Sep 24, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #8,422 of 9,120
You can "DSR" super easy on it, it's just Nvidias term for downsampling, here's a link for how to do it. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?=509076
This works for any GPU also, so there should be no issues.

The link provided does not work, I am curious. 

The graphics for the most recent games are coming closer and closer to real-like images. This makes me wonder how long will it take until video gaming becomes so evolved to allow real-like feeling in games. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #8,423 of 9,120
Whoops, here's the correct one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #8,425 of 9,120
I don't see the point on running DSR on a laptop in the first place, so why put it in the drivers? Most laptops already have a fairly high DPI screen, it's pointless to just toss more pixels into it for the sole purpose of sucking up power.

The other issue is the swapping between two GPUs, iGPU and dedicated. The DSR most likely won't work on your iGPU, so it's just another pointless thing for it to do.

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #8,426 of 9,120

Assassin's Creed Unity is further from running... But man is it a sight to behold.

Is that game any good? I've had friends tell me it was terrible, but my gosh it looks so good visually, and I'd love to play it in 1440p.

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #8,427 of 9,120
  Is that game any good? I've had friends tell me it was terrible, but my gosh it looks so good visually, and I'd love to play it in 1440p.

Couldn't really say. I basically played up until the point where you can freely run around, and stopped actually playing it. I bought it pretty much just to see how it looks. Hah!

Thankfully it was on sale at the time, or else I wouldn't have even bought it. Assassin's Creed games have gotten stale for me, so I don't have a WHOLE lot of interest in playing it.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #8,428 of 9,120
Is it worth (or even possible) to use DSR when already running 4K? I suppose even if possible, a single 980ti wouldn't have the power to push that much rendering?

It's possible to do "inverse DSR", where the GPU renders at a lower resolution and then upscales to 4K. That can come in handy if your GPU isn't quite powerful enough to run native 4K.

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #8,430 of 9,120

It's possible to do "inverse DSR", where the GPU renders at a lower resolution and then upscales to 4K. That can come in handy if your GPU isn't quite powerful enough to run native 4K.

Okay, but that is the same thing as running your computer at fullhd and play a game in hd. This is not exactly beauty, and nor does it hold any advantage. 

I play every single game in fullhd, rather than lowering resolution I lower AA or other graphics settings, resolution comes in first with every single game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back