PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Aug 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #8,386 of 9,120
How does the pump interfere with the VRAM closest to the outputs? Seems like airflow would be restricted and their temperature would climb.

Surprisingly ... there is still really good air flow ... 

Digital therm shows air coming out the reference exhaust at over 100F ... which is pretty warm ... 

So far so good ... no issues with the VRAM I don't think.  Still haven't found max stable overclock ... 

Super well put together kit; I love the way the pump and fan are all powered by the PCI-E slot and no PSU connectors are needed at all.

It's still mind boggling that I couldn't get either card over 50C ... and I'm running a 1440p monitor as well ... 

And they are super quiet ... pumps are not audible at all from my desk.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #8,387 of 9,120
Surprisingly ... there is still really good air flow ... 

Digital therm shows air coming out the reference exhaust at over 100F ... which is pretty warm ... 

So far so good ... no issues with the VRAM I don't think.  Still haven't found max stable overclock ... 

Super well put together kit; I love the way the pump and fan are all powered by the PCI-E slot and no PSU connectors are needed at all.

It's still mind boggling that I couldn't get either card over 50C ... and I'm running a 1440p monitor as well ... 

And they are super quiet ... pumps are not audible at all from my desk.

Glad it works well. I doubted EVGA would put out bad kit; but things are sometimes overlooked and those heatsinks looked like they were hidden behind the pump pretty well.

Aug 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #8,388 of 9,120
Ugh, hope I'm not throwing good money after bad - upgrading my Sapphire Tri-X 290 OC to an Asus 980 Ti Strix...

I guess if nothing else I get a free copy of Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom Pain :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #8,389 of 9,120
Ugh, hope I'm not throwing good money after bad - upgrading my Sapphire Tri-X 290 OC to an Asus 980 Ti Strix...

I guess if nothing else I get a free copy of Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom Pain :)

As long as you're not playing DX12 games, none are out yet, the 980Ti will be much faster than the 290. Hopefully nvidia can fix some of their async compute issues with Maxwell, but it looks like a hardware limitation. It's very possible nvidia fans will need to wait until Pascal before team Green is back on top again. The good news is, you can OC the 980Ti to make up for it, most will do >1500MHz, and the faster your CPU is (and the more cores you have), the less you'll see benefits from async compute anyway.

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #8,390 of 9,120
I have a vanilla i7-4790 (non K) and I can say that I have no issues running project cars at 4k with majority of settings at max.

DP1.2 handshaking issues are a PITA on this (and other nvidia models) card though, lucky lottery of if the monitor will come on or not from a cold boot, and I use the hdmi port for my 4k TV so cannot even just run HDMI...

A little pain for much reward :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #8,391 of 9,120
As long as you're not playing DX12 games, none are out yet, the 980Ti will be much faster than the 290. Hopefully nvidia can fix some of their async compute issues with Maxwell, but it looks like a hardware limitation. It's very possible nvidia fans will need to wait until Pascal before team Green is back on top again. The good news is, you can OC the 980Ti to make up for it, most will do >1500MHz, and the faster your CPU is (and the more cores you have), the less you'll see benefits from async compute anyway.

Not sure about the Ti's ... but both of my ref 980's are quite comfortable at 1525Mhz on the core; haven't really messed with memory yet and might not at all ... love those cards.  I'm already planning a Pascal upgrade, though ... LOL.

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #8,392 of 9,120
Anyone in here can give me a piece of advice?

I need to buy something for my wife, either a tablet or second hand laptop. I wonder how bac can I screw if I go for a second hand laptop? I mean, my budget is in the under 200$, and I have no ideea if I can risk buying a SH laptop. 

Also, what can a netbook do? with processors like n2840?

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #8,393 of 9,120
Honestly I don't think $200 tablets are worth it, I guess a Kindle ereader would be a good price if she likes reading, otherwise you're really looking to get at least an iPad which hovers around $400 is the only tablet I suggest. I believe in 2nd hand stuff, but only in rare cases. My friend found a used MacBook Air 2011 or something at a thrift shop for $300 and bought it immediately, then wiped it and gave to his parents. But it's hard to find stuff like that.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #8,394 of 9,120
  Anyone in here can give me a piece of advice?

I need to buy something for my wife, either a tablet or second hand laptop. I wonder how bac can I screw if I go for a second hand laptop? I mean, my budget is in the under 200$, and I have no ideea if I can risk buying a SH laptop. 

Also, what can a netbook do? with processors like n2840?

I'd say go for a chrome book.  That'd be perfect if she's doing filthy casual stuff: surfing the web, going on youtube, email etc...  Unless she's into performance stuff, people really don't care how powerful their rig is as long as it gets the job done.

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #8,395 of 9,120
Honestly I don't think $200 tablets are worth it, I guess a Kindle ereader would be a good price if she likes reading, otherwise you're really looking to get at least an iPad which hovers around $400 is the only tablet I suggest. I believe in 2nd hand stuff, but only in rare cases. My friend found a used MacBook Air 2011 or something at a thrift shop for $300 and bought it immediately, then wiped it and gave to his parents. But it's hard to find stuff like that.
A Nexus 7 (2013) is still pretty usable and can be had for only $150 on Amazon.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #8,396 of 9,120
Interesting opinions. 

I have been afraid to buy a second hand until now, because most of them are laptops which were great on the time of selling, but have been into reballing of GPUs and stuff like that,. 

My wife never did power work on a laptop or computer, but she said that might want to get into video editing. Though, I am pretty sure that a laptop would never be enough for such activities. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #8,397 of 9,120

My wife never did power work on a laptop or computer, but she said that might want to get into video editing. Though, I am pretty sure that a laptop would never be enough for such activities. 

Not at that price level. Second hand really is your best bet.

You may get lucky and find something with an i5 in it for 200 USD second hand.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #8,398 of 9,120
Hmmm so I let windows update (I'm still on windows 7) and today when I powered on my computer google chrome is completely unusable, it just "stops working" instantly.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled but the same thing still happens. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #8,399 of 9,120
  Hmmm so I let windows update (I'm still on windows 7) and today when I powered on my computer google chrome is completely unusable, it just "stops working" instantly.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled but the same thing still happens. 

Try running the beta version, it has worked better for me, the "stable" version just acts weird consistently for whatever reason.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #8,400 of 9,120
  Try running the beta version, it has worked better for me, the "stable" version just acts weird consistently for whatever reason.

Thank you, it worked.  I'm not sure how chrome broke itself so bad.  Even after I uninstall windows won't let me get rid of two crashlog.exes from the install directory because "they're being used in another program" even though nothing shows in processes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back