PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Jan 8, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,991 of 9,120
Didn't they change OEMs on a lot of their power supplies? I think the CX PSUs were affected (I think Great Wall makes them now, or at least the newer ones instead of SeaSonic).

Going for that SeaSonic next time.

Also black screens are still happening once in awhile. Not sure if it's my SSD. Shouldn't be since the connection is clean and the connector is in completely. Not the CPU either since I've never gotten near the shutdown temperature. Might be the PSU...hm...
Yeah they did. I did some reading last month because I had to buy parts for my bro's computer.

But yeah, some early CX models were seasonic rebrands. Not anymore, now they are some generic rebrand.

Black screen as in BSOD doesn't even happen? In that it just shuts down?

I mean it could be your SSD possibly. SSD's are known for having problems sporadically. They still are 'kinda' new in a sense and have sporadic failure rates from what I can tell. Even those with 'good' brands and controllers. It's harder to tell if an SSD is failing I believe because you can't just look at its SMART data and reallocated sectors like an HDD to tell.

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #3,992 of 9,120

I have a fairly decent/minimal/semi-portable gaming/computer audio rig.

Since i got the G73JH at a unseen pricetag i found no need to build myself a gaming tower anytime soon.

But relating to audio, the Sennheiser HD558 are really AWESOME all-around headphone. if you like open-back headphones for gaming.
(imo: I feel Open-backs headphones are far superior in directional anticipation than closed backs. I never had a good experience with Closed backs for gaming)

They're great when i play Red Orchestra 2, Counterstrike Source & Global offensive, and just even better when just relaxing with ALAC cd rip files.

Rig details:
Asus G73JH
Steelseries Sensei [RAW]
Steelseries QcK mousepad (niche item, but got it because i dont like scraping my mouse on my old desk)
Sennheiser HD558
(secondary headphones:) Gradolabs sr80i

Future ideas:
Adding Magni+Modi combo stack for audio rig.

Edit: And forgot to add my TF2 Heavy sidekick guy. (seen on right)

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,993 of 9,120

Since i got the G73JH at a unseen pricetag i found no need to build myself a gaming tower anytime soon.

But relating to audio, the Sennheiser HD558 are really AWESOME all-around headphone. if you like open-back headphones for gaming.
(imo: I feel Open-backs headphones are far superior in directional anticipation than closed backs. I never had a good experience with Closed backs for gaming)

They're great when i play Red Orchestra 2, Counterstrike Source & Global offensive, and just even better when just relaxing with ALAC cd rip files.

Rig details:
Asus G73JH
Steelseries Sensei [RAW]
Steelseries QcK mousepad (niche item, but got it because i dont like scraping my mouse on my old desk)
Sennheiser HD558

Future ideas:
unseen? Make it seen and tell us :) Also the gooey specs of it.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #3,994 of 9,120
Yeah they did. I did some reading last month because I had to buy parts for my bro's computer.

But yeah, some early CX models were seasonic rebrands. Not anymore, now they are some generic rebrand.

Black screen as in BSOD doesn't even happen? In that it just shuts down?

I mean it could be your SSD possibly. SSD's are known for having problems sporadically. They still are 'kinda' new in a sense and have sporadic failure rates from what I can tell. Even those with 'good' brands and controllers. It's harder to tell if an SSD is failing I believe because you can't just look at its SMART data and reallocated sectors like an HDD to tell.

Looks like XFX and Seasonic are the kings for affordable (basically 80 PLUS bronze) PSUs (XFX has a 80 PLUS Bronze SeaSonic rebrand, right?).

Yup. Everything just goes black. I've been thinking it's a driver issue though. It doesn't happen often but it's a thing that happens with video cards though. The computer stays on but I can't do anything (can't produce sounds either by spamming sticky keys toggle).

I've done a smart scan and used latest firmware. The most recent issue (from 1-2 years ago, I'm using a Crucial M4 by the way) was the 40,000 hour death thing (artificial death created by firmware) but that was fixed awhile ago.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #3,995 of 9,120
unseen? Make it seen and tell us :) Also the gooey specs of it.

oh yes,
i recently cleanly installed Windows8 pro on it when Win8 was sold at the reasonable price of 70$

Because when i first got it i wanted to clear everything out but apparently the former Win7 recovery drive partition went belly-up.
It was either wait a week to get recovery disks from estore-asus and be with Win7 for 55$

or get Win8 pro for 70$, from walmart.
_

the AMD ATI mobility Radeon HD5870 performs fairly good with games.
with Metro2033 being one of my benchmarks.. even though it isnt really a great benchmark game to use.
It ran well on High settings un-overclocked but at 700mhz.
after 4 hours of playing max temp was around under 98 degrees. As stated by GPU-Z 0.7.2 (similar results from GPU-Z 0.7.4)

Airdusting the laptop was always fun for me. it kept me with a sense of peace knowing the thing will still be kicking it fresh and new.

I havent attempted to open it though.. i am still thinking if or how i can get it sent somewhere to get it repasted.

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,996 of 9,120
Looks like XFX and Seasonic are the kings for affordable (basically 80 PLUS bronze) PSUs (XFX has a 80 PLUS Bronze SeaSonic rebrand, right?).

Yup. Everything just goes black. I've been thinking it's a driver issue though. It doesn't happen often but it's a thing that happens with video cards though. The computer stays on but I can't do anything (can't produce sounds either by spamming sticky keys toggle).

I've done a smart scan and used latest firmware. The most recent issue (from 1-2 years ago, I'm using a Crucial M4 by the way) was the 40,000 hour death thing (artificial death created by firmware) but that was fixed awhile ago.

I wouldn't call Seasonic as affordable. They don't have rebates that often and are often a bit pricey. I guess you mean affordable as well as 'good'.

The CoreEdition XFX are Seasonic Rebrands.

You can get 500W Seasonic Rebrands from good manu's(basically just a distributor at this point that changed the case logo) for around $20-$30 during deal time After MIR

I used to get those during graphics crashes so yeah I know what you mean.

Did you update drivers on all devices? Or maybe need to roll back a driver? Windows Updates is known for updating drivers to previous versions (rarely). And sometimes, a new driver is just pure crap :/

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #3,997 of 9,120
I wouldn't call Seasonic as affordable. They don't have rebates that often and are often a bit pricey. I guess you mean affordable as well as 'good'.

The CoreEdition XFX are Seasonic Rebrands.

You can get 500W Seasonic Rebrands from good manu's(basically just a distributor at this point that changed the case logo) for around $20-$30 during deal time After MIR

I used to get those during graphics crashes so yeah I know what you mean.

Did you update drivers on all devices? Or maybe need to roll back a driver? Windows Updates is known for updating drivers to previous versions (rarely). And sometimes, a new driver is just pure crap :/

Meh, but SeaSonic is doing really well these days. Build quality and performance on their most recent PSUs are ridiculous (getting near perfect scores almost all the time on JonnyGuru).

I have the most recent driver. I keep AMD's driver update utility in my downloads folder all the time and use it every month or so (or when I see a new Catalyst driver). It's just about the only driver updates I've done so far (I check through all of the changes Windows Update makes).

It's fine in most cases though. Any school papers I always type in Google Docs (much easier and the formatting options they give you are absolutely fine. Not like many people need much more) and most other stuff I have open are unimportant. It's rare and barely happens, so it's fine. It will usually happen if I leave my computer on for a decent amount of time so it's probably just computers breaking themselves as usual.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3,999 of 9,120
Back to teh Amazon for replacements.
Can you guys stop making me feel bad about my choice of PSU?
frown.gif

How much did you pay for it?

IT's not a bad 'choice' and we aren't making fun of you. We are just discussing the line. Hell, I've bought that line twice....(albeit regretablly) 

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #4,001 of 9,120
How much did you pay for it?

IT's not a bad 'choice' and we aren't making fun of you. We are just discussing the line. Hell, I've bought that line twice....(albeit regretablly) 
He bought it at around $60. I wasn't being serious anyway.

Rig details:
Asus G73JH
Steelseries Sensei [RAW]
Sennheiser HD558

Future ideas:

Edit: And forgot to add my TF2 Heavy sidekick guy. (seen on right)
I want the 558s, but you know that I don't have money (I do actually), but I doubt my parents are willing to let me but another pair of headphones.
------
Markiplier uses HD558s.

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #4,002 of 9,120
He bought it at around $60. I wasn't being serious anyway.
I want the 558s, but you know that I don't have money (I do actually), but I doubt my parents are willing to let me but another pair of headphones.
Markiplier uses HD558s.

HE bought it for $60?

That guy doesn't know how to shop -_-

I bought a XFX CoreEdition 500W with it being a Seasonic Rebrand for $20 with 2 day shipping.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back