PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #6,271 of 9,120
  Huh... Interesting to see a thread for PC Enthusiasts. 

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.4gHz (easily OC to 4.4gHz, stable)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Seidon 240M
RAM: g.Skill Ripjaw Series DDR3-1600 4GBx4
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GPU:  Asus OCII GTX 760
SSDs:  2x240GB
HDDs: Too many to count.
Disk Drive:  Blu-Ray/DVD combo drive with burning capabilities
Sound Card:  Turtle Beach Montego DDL
PSU:  EVGA SuperNova 1000W G2

Peripherals are unimportant right now.  Haha.

All packed into a Fractal Design XL R2 case with a few extra ultra-silent fans packed in.

On the topic of the cases.  My first was an NZXT Tempest EVO, second was an Antec 900, third being the XL R2.  As I went along I started to realize how obnoxious the lights were, though I did do some colour coordination as it evolved.  I went with Blue/White in the second case with my mobo for that case actually having a red LED on it that I didn't know about until I turned it on...  I liked it enough to stick with it. 

Now I'm on a solid black case and actually went with a new PSU altogether so that it didn't have an LED on top of giving me the ability to handle dual GPUs stable.

*Eaglescreech.flac

You forgot something so I FTFY

not bad specs

I don't see the CM Seidon's often. 

You have a large PSU that seems overly large for your needs. The typical HDD doesn't go over 10W each at full read/write and these are at the slightly higher end of power usage and non-green models. 

For your needs, it seems a much more inexpensive 750W could have suited you considering your GPU consumes at max 160W of which on a 12V rail would be about 13A of which any PSU could easilly push. 

Hell, depending on how many HDDs you have. A very very efficent and good 550W could just about handle it. A bit close for comfort obviously but very very good 550W units can easilly do over 100% load for periods. And I doubt you will ever max out everything at the same time.....maxing out your CPU and GPU at full throttle, and same with the HDDs and SSDs. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #6,272 of 9,120
Finally got around to using the old laptop monitor as a second monitor.  Not at all worth the effort, waiting for shipping for PoS back lights from Hong Kong and all the effort of hanging it etc. I played like an hour of BF with it and it was nice for monitoring temps/usage etc having skype open but it really is kind of pointless.  Would have appreciated it a lot more when I used to watch and play in the big streams that happened.  Killing the dude streaming and then watching it back from the stream with thousands of other people would have been kind of cool.

Right now 2 monitors seem pointless except for a few very specific tasks.  Alt tabbing never seemed so easy.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #6,273 of 9,120
Everyone likes Corsairs I see :D

I like pretty much close to everything that Corsair makes

Except their CX class (el Cheapo to the max class) power supplies. Good enough for cheap client builds or CBF builds but otherwise. There are readilly rebates on better Seasonic platform but alt.brand power supplies. 
Corsair all the way!
------
I think the reason why we're all like this is because when we first build a PC, it's maybe because we were thinking, "OH, I BUILT A COMPUTER! Hajcidnnahdj I must show dis off and make it shinny!"
Then after awhile we mature in a way and settle into some quiet pride of our handiwork with a more subdued look.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #6,274 of 9,120
Everyone likes Corsairs I see :D

Except their CX class (el Cheapo to the max class) power supplies. Good enough for cheap client builds or CBF builds but otherwise. There are readilly rebates on better Seasonic platform but alt.brand power supplies. 
Corsair all the way!
------
I think the reason why we're all like this is because when we first build a PC, it's maybe because we were thinking, "OH, I BUILT A COMPUTER! Hajcidnnahdj I must show dis off and make it shinny!"
Then after awhile we mature in a way and settle into some quiet pride of our handiwork with a more subdued look.

I think it's more that we built our first as kids and then we grew up before we could afford a second :p

I think my Fractal R2 is too heavy, hard to carry it to school and back @_@

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #6,275 of 9,120
  You forgot something so I FTFY

not bad specs

I don't see the CM Seidon's often. 

You have a large PSU that seems overly large for your needs. The typical HDD doesn't go over 10W each at full read/write and these are at the slightly higher end of power usage and non-green models. 

For your needs, it seems a much more inexpensive 750W could have suited you considering your GPU consumes at max 160W of which on a 12V rail would be about 13A of which any PSU could easilly push. 

Hell, depending on how many HDDs you have. A very very efficent and good 550W could just about handle it. A bit close for comfort obviously but very very good 550W units can easilly do over 100% load for periods. And I doubt you will ever max out everything at the same time.....maxing out your CPU and GPU at full throttle, and same with the HDDs and SSDs. 

The original reason I got it was for dual GTX 470 SCs.  :)  And I might do something similar to that with the Maxwell architecture GTXs (originally supposed to be the 800s) whenever they release.  The point of the PSU was to future proof, keep it ultra silent, and "power efficient" to an extent.  I have had issues with an 850W not supplying ample power to the SLI'ed cards. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #6,276 of 9,120
  Everyone likes Corsairs I see 
biggrin.gif

Corsair makes good schiit. They're always in my recommended lists, but I don't actually buy much from them myself, the times I've been looking some other brand has beaten them in my area for price/performance.

The original 2009 model CX400 was a beast. Based on a redesign of the Seasonic SII, I used that to power a media server then in an emergency used it to power my main rig for a couple weeks - no small feat since I was using a power hungry i7 950 back then.

Do agree though, the new ones suck.

Huh... Interesting to see a thread for PC Enthusiasts. 

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.4gHz (easily OC to 4.4gHz, stable)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Seidon 240M
RAM: g.Skill Ripjaw Series DDR3-1600 4GBx4
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GPU:  Asus OCII GTX 760
SSDs:  2x240GB
HDDs: Too many to count.
Disk Drive:  Blu-Ray/DVD combo drive with burning capabilities
Sound Card:  Turtle Beach Montego DDL
PSU:  EVGA SuperNova 1000W G2

Peripherals are unimportant right now.  Haha.

All packed into a Fractal Design XL R2 case with a few extra ultra-silent fans packed in.

On the topic of the cases.  My first was an NZXT Tempest EVO, second was an Antec 900, third being the XL R2.  As I went along I started to realize how obnoxious the lights were, though I did do some colour coordination as it evolved.  I went with Blue/White in the second case with my mobo for that case actually having a red LED on it that I didn't know about until I turned it on...  I liked it enough to stick with it. 

Now I'm on a solid black case and actually went with a new PSU altogether so that it didn't have an LED on top of giving me the ability to handle dual GPUs stable.

That looks like a really solid setup :)

Finally got around to using the old laptop monitor as a second monitor.  Not at all worth the effort, waiting for shipping for PoS back lights from Hong Kong and all the effort of hanging it etc. I played like an hour of BF with it and it was nice for monitoring temps/usage etc having skype open but it really is kind of pointless.  Would have appreciated it a lot more when I used to watch and play in the big streams that happened.  Killing the dude streaming and then watching it back from the stream with thousands of other people would have been kind of cool.

Right now 2 monitors seem pointless except for a few very specific tasks.  Alt tabbing never seemed so easy.

I think it takes time to get used to multi monitor setups, at first you never seem to have any reason to use it, but after a while it's just as cluttered as your main monitor.

I think it's more that we built our first as kids and then we grew up before we could afford a second
tongue.gif

I think my Fractal R2 is too heavy, hard to carry it to school and back @_@

Yeah. I kinda agree there. I was lucky in that I didn't have enough money of my own to build a PC with all new stuff back when I still thought more lights and chromed plastic = cool.

The R2 is heavy. Really nice case, but those bitumen dampeners mean it weighs 50% more than any other mid tower. Really enjoy working with fractal cases when I help friends build PCs, those Swedes really know how to make a nice case.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #6,277 of 9,120
Mhmm, old Seasonic based CX PSUs were awesome.

I hated them for a lot of the overpriced dominator kits. A lot of the kits had the price premium of a highly binned kit but couldn't perform as so which annoyed me lots. They fixed it now by using those poorly binned dominators as Vengeance sticks. Unfortunately I've kind of gotten into the habit of avoiding their products even though I don't have a reason to. It's become something that's been ingrained into my head.

Actually, when I ordered my CX PSU 2 years ago I was hoping for a Seasonic one but I got a really bad new design one and it's been wrecking my computer ever since. It keeps on failing to supply proper voltage at random times (it's not too often) so the split second it does so, my APU stops working (I get a black screen, no Windows, no anything), yet my fans and such are still spinning. I can't really tell what it's been damaging but usually after this my M4 becomes invisible to my SATA controller and it takes 5-10 minutes (lots of resets) before the SATA controller will find the SSD. The SSD and HDD seem fine since their SMART statuses haven't been degrading.

The majority of the time my computer was idle with basically no programs open. It's only done that about once or twice when under heavier stress.

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #6,278 of 9,120

You may not be enjoying the two monitors because of stress and anger caused by all the issues.

Corsair all the way!
------

This was so spot on for me.
The original reason I got it was for dual GTX 470 SCs.  :)  And I might do something similar to that with the Maxwell architecture GTXs (originally supposed to be the 800s) whenever they release.  The point of the PSU was to future proof, keep it ultra silent, and "power efficient" to an extent.  I have had issues with an 850W not supplying ample power to the SLI'ed cards. 

I run dual 7870 GHzs (less efficient 270x) on a mediocre 750W just fine but it is cutting it close at max power draw. Mainly because I am running 6 high perf fans. Aio liquid in dual fan config. Older 125W CPU. And multiple HDDs and an ssd and odd.

I'm cutting it very close at max. And my PSU is known for not being able to handle 100% load lol.

No problems though

Corsair makes good schiit. They're always in my recommended lists, but I don't actually buy much from them myself, the times I've been looking some other brand has beaten them in my area for price/performance.

The original 2009 model CX400 was a beast. Based on a redesign of the Seasonic SII, I used that to power a media server then in an emergency used it to power my main rig for a couple weeks - no small feat since I was using a power hungry i7 950 back then.

Do agree though, the new ones suck.

That looks like a really solid setup :)

I think it takes time to get used to multi monitor setups, at first you never seem to have any reason to use it, but after a while it's just as cluttered as your main monitor.

Yeah. I kinda agree there. I was lucky in that I didn't have enough money of my own to build a PC with all new stuff back when I still thought more lights and chromed plastic = cool.

The R2 is heavy. Really nice case, but those bitumen dampeners mean it weighs 50% more than any other mid tower. Really enjoy working with fractal cases when I help friends build PCs, those Swedes really know how to make a nice case.

Yeah. I bought a CX for a client build...... I wanted to Chuck it or the window by how poor and cheap the body was.

Mhmm, old Seasonic based CX PSUs were awesome.

I hated them for a lot of the overpriced dominator kits. A lot of the kits had the price premium of a highly binned kit but couldn't perform as so which annoyed me lots. They fixed it now by using those poorly binned dominators as Vengeance sticks. Unfortunately I've kind of gotten into the habit of avoiding their products even though I don't have a reason to. It's become something that's been ingrained into my head.

Actually, when I ordered my CX PSU 2 years ago I was hoping for a Seasonic one but I got a really bad new design one and it's been wrecking my computer ever since. It keeps on failing to supply proper voltage at random times (it's not too often) so the split second it does so, my APU stops working (I get a black screen, no Windows, no anything), yet my fans and such are still spinning. I can't really tell what it's been damaging but usually after this my M4 becomes invisible to my SATA controller and it takes 5-10 minutes (lots of resets) before the SATA controller will find the SSD. The SSD and HDD seem fine since their SMART statuses haven't been degrading.

The majority of the time my computer was idle with basically no programs open. It's only done that about once or twice when under heavier stress.

An XFX 550W was on sale the other day for $25. Seasonic platform. And good reviews. I got my friend to buy it for his new build.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #6,279 of 9,120
Listed a nice gaming laptop in the for sale section in case anybody is shopping around ... great deal, too ... about 600 bucks less than what you'd build the same machine for at the moment ...

I'm wanting to get an 880M machine is why I'm selling it. I've only had it two months or so ...

FYI:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729068/gigabyte-p35g-v2-gaming-laptop-w-optical-out

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #6,280 of 9,120
  Listed a nice gaming laptop in the for sale section in case anybody is shopping around ... great deal, too ... about 600 bucks less than what you'd build the same machine for at the moment ...

I'm wanting to get an 880M machine is why I'm selling it. I've only had it two months or so ...

FYI:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729068/gigabyte-p35g-v2-gaming-laptop-w-optical-out

I hope you posted this to other sites as well. Many on HF have multi hobbies, but PC Gaming doesn't seem to be too too high on the list. 

OCN, Ebay etc are other good places to post. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #6,282 of 9,120
  I don't want to put any more money into this build anymore. So long as my main HDD is safe I'm cool with it (have to have my music and anime
tongue.gif
).

Random system blackouts due to a schiit PSU always suck. 

My old crap PSU severely damaged my old Mobo in ways that make it hard to POST or get started/running after an unexpected system shutdown.

Sell the crap PSU.....and buy a new one? Or should I say. Buy it on sale, and just sell the CX430. You can easilly sell it for the amount of a Seasonic platform one such as that XFX. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #6,283 of 9,120
  Random system blackouts due to a schiit PSU always suck. 

My old crap PSU severely damaged my old Mobo in ways that make it hard to POST or get started/running after an unexpected system shutdown.

Sell the crap PSU.....and buy a new one? Or should I say. Buy it on sale, and just sell the CX430. You can easilly sell it for the amount of a Seasonic platform one such as that XFX. 

Yeah, I know. I checked everything and it all led back to the PSU. I thought it was a bit of thermal paste but the stuff that comes with the CM Hyper 212 EVO is nonconductive and none of it is in contact with the pins.

I might buy a new one, although I kind of want a newer system (i3 + 750 Ti setup or something). Anyways, I don't really want to sell it. Warranty was voided and some of the insulation on one of the 24-pin wires was slightly cut when I was cutting off the crap sleeving (patched it up with some electrical tape) so I'm not quite sure anybody would want this. There wouldn't be much of a profit either because these units are already dirt cheap.

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #6,284 of 9,120
  Yeah, I know. I checked everything and it all led back to the PSU. I thought it was a bit of thermal paste but the stuff that comes with the CM Hyper 212 EVO is nonconductive and none of it is in contact with the pins.

I might buy a new one, although I kind of want a newer system (i3 + 750 Ti setup or something). Anyways, I don't really want to sell it. Warranty was voided and some of the insulation on one of the 24-pin wires was slightly cut when I was cutting off the crap sleeving (patched it up with some electrical tape) so I'm not quite sure anybody would want this. There wouldn't be much of a profit either because these units are already dirt cheap.

I would have figured you to be the kind to use 3rd part paste. Obviously when you check benchmarks. The difference is only a few percentages between standard goop and 3rd party stuff typically in the range of +-8C. From that perspective, and for an APU, I can definately see why you would leave it stock.

My friend got the MX4 on sale for $4 with free 2 day shipping on Newegg the other day. 4g so slightly larger than average 3.5g stuff you get. 

I'm sure you've heard of the uber gaming budget rigs using the new Pentiums that are OC beasts with some mega GPU with little difference in performance compared to big guys. But then again. You aren't a graphics gamer and don't do AAAs so I can see that. 

Are you going with the 750Ti so you don't need a new PSU or something? I mean, the AMD equivalents are generally much better performing, but do require more juice. 

How did you void the warranty?....wait....you didn't.......oh...

It's not about profit but in getting rid of it so you can get one of those XFX units or Antec units based on Seasonic platforms for sub $30 when they go on sale. 

Aug 2, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #6,285 of 9,120
When I get back to school and have all my equipment. I'm gonna repaste my two GPUs. 

I did a demo take off of the one GPU I have with me today. Very easy to take off the shell. But the screws securing the heatsink are MEGA tight. And I don't have the right tools for it here. 

I have two reference models and are leafblowers when set on 100% so every temp change matters. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back