PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking)
Feb 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4,741 of 9,120
  ?
I got it new.  Ever consider a tablet?  I know you have a desktop for gaming, what are you using the laptop for?
The low voltage i5's are pretty darn fast, certainly more than enough for Office/School usage.

A thick, ugly, and heavy brick is not a laptop in my eyes haha

I need it for school. Medium programs etc.

New where? The computer you showed me was an ultrabook laptop?

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #4,742 of 9,120
  I need it for school. Medium programs etc.

New where? The computer you showed me was an ultrabook laptop?

Yeah, got it new off Groupon awhile back lol.

_______

So I am trying to install my new internet modem, and I realized my current modem manages the phone line
frown.gif

No idea how to get the internet modem + an emta setup.

AFAIK I have a single coax for the internet/phone, and another for television.  Anyone with a clue?  haha

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #4,743 of 9,120

Yeah, got it new off Groupon awhile back lol.

_______

So I am trying to install my new internet modem, and I realized my current modem manages the phone line
frown.gif

No idea how to get the internet modem + an emta setup.

AFAIK I have a single coax for the internet/phone, and another for television.  Anyone with a clue?  haha

If your current modem manages the phone, like the SBV5220, then your cable provider will need to provision internet on your new DOCSIS 3.0 modem and keep phone active on the eMTA. The most common setup for this is to have both run after a splitter in parallel. It's very common for my employer to do this, allowing customers phone service while using their own modem for internet and not paying a modem lease fee.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #4,745 of 9,120
  Just bought stuff to upgrade my MBP

Samsung Evo 128GB SSD + 8GB Corsair RAM DDR3 + Apple HDD caddy Total =$120

I spent an hour looking at deals and prices.

the SSD itself is $91 right now, the 'more' Apple specific ram is $90 and the HDD caddy isn't really sold by Apple.

Man, a week too late. The 256GB Evo was on sale last week for $90.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #4,748 of 9,120

But that's less than what you say you paid... :p

Samsung Evo 128GB SSD + 8GB Corsair RAM DDR3 + Apple HDD caddy Total =$120

I also got 8GB of laptop RAM and a 'custom for Apple' HDD caddy

Laptop RAM is expensive, especially RAM you need to meet to a certain frequency, CAS etc. I was lucky I got mine for cheap.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #4,749 of 9,120
  I also got 8GB of laptop RAM and a 'custom for Apple' HDD caddy

Laptop RAM is expensive, especially RAM you need to meet to a certain frequency, CAS etc. I was lucky I got mine for cheap.

Oh trust me, I know. I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro with a 256GB Samsung SSD and a 650GB Seagate Momentus XT in the optical bay. Just saying if you paid $91 for the 128GB SSD you could have maybe found the 256GB on sale again soon at the same price like it was last week.

My next upgrade is taking my 8GB RAM to 16GB.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4,750 of 9,120

Oh trust me, I know. I have a mid-2012 Macbook Pro with a 256GB Samsung SSD and a 650GB Seagate Momentus XT in the optical bay. Just saying if you paid $91 for the 128GB SSD you could have maybe found the 256GB on sale again soon at the same price like it was last week.

My next upgrade is taking my 8GB RAM to 16GB.

I paid $57 for the Samsung EVO 128GB SSD. It was new.

How would it ever be possible that I paid $91 (MSRP) for the Samsung when I'm telling you that the RAM is $75 to $98 for 8GB DDR3 for a laptop?

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #4,751 of 9,120
  I paid $57 for the Samsung EVO 128GB SSD. It was new.

How would it ever be possible that I paid $91 (MSRP) for the Samsung when I'm telling you that the RAM is $75 to $98 for 8GB DDR3 for a laptop?

Ah, when you said "the SSD is $91 right now" I thought you were saying you had paid $91 for the SSD. You used " 'more' " so I thought you were implying you didn't buy the Apple optimized memory.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #4,752 of 9,120

Ah, when you said "the SSD is $91 right now" I thought you were saying you had paid $91 for the SSD. You used " 'more' " so I thought you were implying you didn't buy the Apple optimized memory.

Nope. I said SSD is $91 right now as a way to say how much I saved.

I paid $57 for the SSD or $61 after tax. 

This is WITHOUT it being in deal time or anything. 

I needed to buy it today, like...literally today.\

I bought Apple 'optomized memory' because it's worth it more

You own an MBP so I'll assume you get how it works.But anyway.

3rd Party RAM you buy to self upgrade your Mac's RAM is the Apple RAM I bought. Not the upgrades Apple does on the configuration.

Their prices are competetive to general Laptop RAM, AND they will 100% work with your Mac.

Regular PC RAM will have problems with your MBP if you DON'T match it up correctly. 

That's what I found out today. Hunting for DDR3 laptop RAM with semi specific frequency, CAS, voltage etc etc with good feedback gave me low choices with bad feedback OR high prices. The Corsair RAM that was Mac RAM (Mac Compatible really) was not only $20 cheaper, but also matched everything.

I was originally gonna buy regular laptop DDR3 RAM before that fact came out to me AND in where Apple optomized RAM from Corsair was actually cheaper. Win win.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #4,753 of 9,120
  Nope. I said SSD is $91 right now as a way to say how much I saved.

I paid $57 for the SSD or $61 after tax. 

This is WITHOUT it being in deal time or anything. 

I needed to buy it today, like...literally today.\

I bought Apple 'optomized memory' because it's worth it more

You own an MBP so I'll assume you get how it works.But anyway.

I was originally gonna buy regular laptop DDR3 RAM before that fact came out to me AND in where Apple optomized RAM from Corsair was actually cheaper. Win win.

Yup, Corsair or Crucial are the brands for my purchase since they're what work best with Apple products. If I go Corsair it's down to if I should get the Vengeance line for the CL10 latency or stick with the "regular" and its CL11. Not a noticeable difference in almost all situations, but it's only a few bucks difference. Or I could save $30 and get the Crucial which handles both 1.5V and 1.35V, the Corsair counterparts only run at 1.5V. It too is CL11. Both brands carry the Apple seal of approval. My machine can handle both 1.5V and 1.35V, the latter producing less heat and drawing less energy.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4,755 of 9,120

Yup, Corsair or Crucial are the brands for my purchase since they're what work best with Apple products. If I go Corsair it's down to if I should get the Vengeance line for the CL10 latency or stick with the "regular" and its CL11. Not a noticeable difference in almost all situations, but it's only a few bucks difference. Or I could save $30 and get the Crucial which handles both 1.5V and 1.35V, the Corsair counterparts only run at 1.5V. It too is CL11. Both brands carry the Apple seal of approval. My machine can handle both 1.5V and 1.35V, the latter producing less heat and drawing less energy.

Yup, one of the few times where a market is actually enthusiast friendly and where my intuition proved wrong

I didn't know that much about Macbook support of different types of PC Ram all that well before doing research today. I expected, that obviously, since Mac's can use PC Ram, that it would be uber cheap to just buy regular PC Ram...NOPE.

Having RAM clocked faster than 'supported' by your Mac, or with settings that are different could have reprucusions on your Mac system

ALSO....Mac Ram by 3rd party from Crucial and Corsair is typically also cheaper -_-

Where are you finding that ssd for $57?

http://slickdeals.net/f/6731684-samsung-840-evo-120gb-85-or-55-after-coupon

May be too late with the coupon, but who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back