Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Oct 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #316 of 599
These definitely are no bass head earphone like some others I've heard. They are a keeper for now and the times when I want more bass than my RE-Zero can give I go to these. I like my RE-Zero better but I prefer that kind of sound. I'm still pretty surprised at the low end of these. These have pretty good bass extension and at this price range I can't think of another earphone with better extension although I have not heard them all and not heard the Atrios which is supposed to have one of the best of all universals. I'll have to see if I ever get around to doing a review but doesn't look like there's much time for that.

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #317 of 599

Quote:
Just thought should update about how unsatisfied i am with hje900. 

I have returned hje900 and would be seeking a refund.

This earphone is just not my cup of tea. There is too much shrillness in voice and bass is relegated to backseat. There have been times/songs when i literally have to lower the volume since the voice of singer is too loud, sharp to my ears. Also i had to up the volume by approx 5-6 bars to get a good hearing. Not worth the effort my ears take beating for. Initially i was thinking it was fit issues, but even after getting good seal with Sony Hybrid tips, i still didn't like these. So they gotta go. It is possible that i have been given a bad piece of iem, but i won't be able to tell that since i can't differentiate between fake and real if there is any or if it was a manufacturing defect. 

I don't mean to offend any hje900 users, but this is entirely my opinion. YMMV.

I guess i will have to hunt for some other iem's that possibly do some justice to my bass-head. 

I just recieved my hje900 and I must admit I had a similar experiance. They were painfully sibilant and shrill and simply sounded all over the place. I was quite dissapointed and went for the mod with cotton q-tips. That cut the sibilance but all that incredible detail was lost.  I was useing bi-flange UE tips.
Anyway, I pulled the cotton out and put them on the burn in for about 40hrs. I adjusted the EQ a bit droping 7khz a little and changed sources from iphone 3gs to my Maverick D1.  Much better!
I have ordered some complys which I believe will improve things further.
The hje900 have settled down alot and the sibilance is nearly gone (hopfully with complys - gone all together). These are super detailed, super fast and crazy clear. The bass starts ands stops on a dime. Jazz, classical and even electronic are ridiculous on these. Gone from hate to love!
Goes to show with time, different sources and tips anything is possible! YMMV
I want to make a longer, better cable. Does anyone know where I can buy the connectors??

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #318 of 599
There seems to be no middle ground as far as liking the HJE900's sound signature is concerned. And I strongly believe that it's first and foremost a matter of fit. I was in the "What are people raving about" camp, when I first received my Pannies. Sibilance was absolutely horrible, which totaly spoiled the experience for me.

I've experimented with tips a lot and it wasn't until I tried Complys and foam Super Tips that I started seeing the light. Both tips give a tight seal, and that seems to be what makes the difference. Sibilance is completely gone with Complies and barely audible with Super Tips, with the former adding some "darkness" to the overall sound.
I guess the Pannies oddly-sized standard tips simply don't work for some people (like me), which only goes to prove just how important proper fit is for IEMs.

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #319 of 599
I'm on the fence with these. I've yet to receive my first proper IEM's so I'm in the 'buying and collecting' mode. I believe I am looking for a V shaped sound, with nice deep punchy bass and great clarity at the top end. Yet siblance does seem to be a common complaint with these.

Are foam tips a must with these Panasonics then? I would have thought that foam tips smother the top end somewhat, hence taking away the siblance.

Oct 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #320 of 599
Can't beat the price at amazon/jr at $80 shipped. Heck, worst-case they're my new gym-'phones.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #321 of 599

Quote:
Are foam tips a must with these Panasonics then? I would have thought that foam tips smother the top end somewhat, hence taking away the siblance.

That's the problem I currently have: The Complies have all but eliminated sibilance, but taken away some of the treble in the process. Some of the finer details suffer as well. That's why I'm currently using the foam Super Tips that are stiffer than the Complies. I can live with a little bit of sibilance if that's the price for a "cleaner" sound overall.

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #322 of 599

Panasonic connectors are similar to sleek audio, and i heard that some people used nokia connectors for custom sleek cables
You can just cut them from the nokia charger
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33255
Quote:
I want to make a longer, better cable. Does anyone know where I can buy the connectors??

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #323 of 599

Quote:
I'm on the fence with these. I've yet to receive my first proper IEM's so I'm in the 'buying and collecting' mode. I believe I am looking for a V shaped sound, with nice deep punchy bass and great clarity at the top end. Yet siblance does seem to be a common complaint with these.

I wouldn't say they're a "must". I'm on of the ones that cannot stand Comply tips with the pannies, and even the foam supertips are too warm and treble-attenuating for my liking. Complies especially sound too dull. That depends heavily on your canal shape and asize though. I like gel supertips as one of my preferred tips for almost everything except classical, though.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #325 of 599

Quote:
Here's the frequency response of the HJE900:

arta-fr-hje900.png

Nice post.  Looks pretty much like how I heard them.  Bass roll-off from around 100hz and sharp drop from 7-10khz plus the mid recession.  Its a good IEM regardless.  Wish there was a SM3 and DBA (other than the Russian one) graph too.

Lol- ask and you shall receive.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #327 of 599
I think for most, the Pannys will take some time. For those of you who don't believe in burn-in and expect the brilliant sound right away, I fear you will be highly disappointed. I heard the possibility of the Panny right away, but still knew the treble need to settle down. I was patient and it did. It's been three weeks now and haven't put my Earsonics  or JVC or Radius in my ears. The Panny is sounding brilliant to me. I'm a basshead, and the bass is deep enough for me. The mids are great and the treble is wonderful.

I guess no one has tried this, but let me suggest again that you order and try the Phonak Audeo gray silicon tips. It cuts down the sharpness of the treble but still leaves the great highs there. But if you're not willing to give the Panny time to settle in, then I fear most of you will find it not to your liking. I believe these need burn-in and patience in finding the right tips. Put a little effort and patience in and you will be highly rewarded.

Oct 4, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #328 of 599

Quote:
I think for most, the Pannys will take some time. For those of you who don't believe in burn-in and expect the brilliant sound right away, I fear you will be highly disappointed. I heard the possibility of the Panny right away, but still knew the treble need to settle down. I was patient and it did. It's been three weeks now and haven't put my Earsonics  or JVC or Radius in my ears. The Panny is sounding brilliant to me. I'm a basshead, and the bass is deep enough for me. The mids are great and the treble is wonderful.

I guess no one has tried this, but let me suggest again that you order and try the Phonak Audeo gray silicon tips. It cuts down the sharpness of the treble but still leaves the great highs there. But if you're not willing to give the Panny time to settle in, then I fear most of you will find it not to your liking. I believe these need burn-in and patience in finding the right tips. Put a little effort and patience in and you will be highly rewarded.

Have you done direct ABing w/ your FX700 yet?  I can listen to most IEMs and be fine if I let psychoacoustics adapt.  Once I AB, the differences are quite apparent to me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back