Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Sep 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #256 of 599

Quote:
I was just wandering if any of you had a chance to compare them to phonak audeos? I just found myself in a position, when I need to buy something new, I just crave new earphones and I cannot decide if I should get DBA-02 or HJE900 [or just stick with PFEs]. Would any of these be an upgrade compared to phonak? I was always on the bright side of sound so, after reading some reviews here, I should choose FA, on the other hand samsung P3 is a bright DAP, so maybe HJE900 would be a better match? Any suggestions?
" class="bbcode_smiley" files.head-fi.org="" height="" http:="" images="" p="" smilies="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//biggrin.gif" title="
biggrin.gif
" width="" />
If that would help in anyway- I tried NuForce Ne-6 some time ago- I couldn't stand amounts of low freq on that thing. Are  HJE900 anywhere close to that?

DBAs sound more your cup of tea.  900s have aggressive treble to an extent but its still a warm phone.

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #257 of 599

Quote:
You won't get it from me but maybe lucozade can offer something
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> It's been too long since I had them so any comparison other than build and implementation of replaceable cables is unfair since audio memory only goes so far and I had the TF10 around a year ago. If these surpass the TF10 for lucozade I'd be pretty surprised. If these had the CK10 cable in a replaceable fashion these would be hands down the most durable and best build universal in existence.

Its been over a month since i listened to my tf10 , so will have to dig them out and spend a day with them before i comment 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #258 of 599
I expected more recessed mids and Etymotic like aggression on the treble when I bought them. They passed my treble test for aggressive treble since I have a particular track that can be downright painful on certain earphones and they weren't painful at all so they passed that. I didn't go through test tones on these and probably won't since I don't like using those but these probably don't have a upper mid spike like some analytical phones have (CK10 for example). I can tell immediately the spike in the upper mids through that test.

I'll do a bit of a comparison with how recessed the midrange is when I try the RE-Zero and Livewires although they don't compare with the latter but it is a good indication of how recessed it can be since I consider them fairly balanced.

So far the biggest surprise in the bass. I honestly expected more since Mark did mention these were bass monsters when they went through their FOTM status. I'll have an impedance adapter in a couple days and see how these fare with that and it might make the J3 sound better since it ups the impedance
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #259 of 599

Quote:
I expected more recessed mids and Etymotic like aggression on the treble when I bought them.

So far the biggest surprise in the bass. I honestly expected more since Mark did mention these were bass monsters when they went through their FOTM status. I'll have an impedance adapter in a couple days and see how these fare with that and it might make the J3 sound better since it ups the impedance
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

I expected the same thing when I got them.  Neither is as bad as made out to be.  The IEM sounds perfectly fine in its own right.  I think Mark has built in bass boost.  
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #260 of 599
@rawster, what tips are you using with the hje900? I'm just curious since so many people here are reporting that the stock tips are very sub-par, and seem to prefer the UE single flanges.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #261 of 599
I have tried ebay Monster triple flanges and the UE single flanged tips. The stock tips looked very similar to the UE single flange tips but I have not tried them yet. I'll go try some tips when I get home such as the M9 tips and some Head Direct tips. The subpar thing about the tips is that from looking at them they are smaller than you may expect from experience with other company sizes.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #262 of 599
Wow, just got these in today. No more than 5 hours in, but am already quite impressed. I have Comply tips on these though. Bass quantity is 'just right' for me, present and impactful without being bloated.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #264 of 599

Quote:
I have tried ebay Monster triple flanges and the UE single flanged tips. The stock tips looked very similar to the UE single flange tips but I have not tried them yet. I'll go try some tips when I get home such as the M9 tips and some Head Direct tips. The subpar thing about the tips is that from looking at them they are smaller than you may expect from experience with other company sizes.

I'm glad you got these, since you've heard almost every other IEM I've been interested in XD. What I found annoying about the original tips, aside from their size was their roughish texture and relative stiffness. Though the hybrids sounded worse, they felt like a godsend to my ears :p

Quote:
Wow, just got these in today. No more than 5 hours in, but am already quite impressed. I have Comply tips on these though. Bass quantity is 'just right' for me, present and impactful without being bloated.

Glad to hear you're liking them =P

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #267 of 599

Quote:
I'm glad you got these, since you've heard almost every other IEM I've been interested in XD. What I found annoying about the original tips, aside from their size was their roughish texture and relative stiffness. Though the hybrids sounded worse, they felt like a godsend to my ears :p

Glad to hear you're liking them =P

What would those be? I have them on with the M9 "balanced" bi-flange tips and they sound wonderful and possibly better than the UE tips. There's a bit more bass presence than from this morning and I like bi-flange or triple flange tips better than single flange but the triples felt a bit strange when I tried them this morning..maybe it's cuz I was using the ebay triple flanges and not the Monster ones
tongue.gif
These probably have 25 hours total but should go through the entire night of playing via the clip+ once it has been fully charged.

I will say this however about fit. I do not like how these go over the ear since the area connecting the cable to the housing is a bit long. I rather it be more secure and may give the Sleek Audio cables a try eventually although those seem awkward based on pictures of them over the ear although I think if I angle them like how the angle for my ES cable is for my customs it might be too bad and there's no memory section which is great.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #269 of 599

Quote:
What would those be? I have them on with the M9 "balanced" bi-flange tips and they sound wonderful and possibly better than the UE tips. There's a bit more bass presence than from this morning and I like bi-flange or triple flange tips better than single flange but the triples felt a bit strange when I tried them this morning..maybe it's cuz I was using the ebay triple flanges and not the Monster ones
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" /> These probably have 25 hours total but should go through the entire night of playing via the clip+ once it has been fully charged.

I will say this however about fit. I do not like how these go over the ear since the area connecting the cable to the housing is a bit long. I rather it be more secure and may give the Sleek Audio cables a try eventually although those seem awkward based on pictures of them over the ear although I think if I angle them like how the angle for my ES cable is for my customs it might be too bad and there's no memory section which is great.

I liked the M9 balanced bi flange as my go to tip for these as well.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #270 of 599
I think those provide me the best sound as well. I'll try the triple flanges again tomorrow as well as the bassy M9 tips or whatever MEElectronics calls them. I suspect the gels/foam supertips will make these pretty warm as that's what they do best. I'm currently using my netbook to the HJE900 and they sound pretty bad with music on..curse you crappy netbook as source :p They do sound more harsh and sibilant but I blame my crappy source. They do scale up so that's a good thing but can't get too much worse than my netbook imo.

Also I do remember James and other doing a foam mod and filter being easily removed or falling out. The filters seems to be pretty solid and won't come off as easy. At least they won't come off as easily as my RE-Zero if I wanted to remove that. Maybe over time that will change but it doesn't look like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back