Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Sep 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #226 of 599
I was not aware that J&R did that for the HJE900. Either way I wouldn't have bought them since I have a pair coming most likely tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest. I doubt they are for me but I'm thinking these could be a good backup or when I want different sound signatures. Also tax would have made it more expensive than the price I got it at anyway. I have the UE medium tips from the TF10 as well as my Monster triples or RE-Zero tips so hopefully one of them will work. Usually the Monster triples give me the best sound to go along with the best isolation. I'll find out tomorrow if USPS has them
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #228 of 599

Quote:
x2 on the Comply tips. And if the mesh has fallen off your CZs, then you can get Comply tips that have a thin mesh across the opening to protect your earphones from gunk.

Quote:
me thinks you do not have a good seal ,and what tips are you using on them , comply  tips bring out the best bass and tame the treble on these.
popcorn.gif

Which comply tips i am suppose to use? I am using stock tips that came with it. 

Quote:
make sure you are pushing the tips far enough in your ears and that you are getting a good seal

I am pushing in as far as it can reach. 

Quote:

The amount of bass for any iem is dramatically effected by the fit. If the seal is not good, then you won't have very much bass with any iem.

Yes, i will try with a couple of more tips i have in spare. Hope to get a good fit. 

Here is what i usually do when i get a new earphone. The following song has a huge thump/bass effect at 0.11 sec and 0.14 sec. It really brings out the basshead in me. And when i heard it on this, i was thoroughly disappointed. MEElec R1 sounded better in this regard and VB is bliss. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP0cnoCQgt4

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #229 of 599

Quote:

Here is what i usually do when i get a new earphone. The following song has a huge thump/bass effect at 0.11 sec and 0.14 sec. It really brings out the basshead in me. And when i heard it on this, i was thoroughly disappointed. MEElec R1 sounded better in this regard and VB is bliss. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP0cnoCQgt4

I just listened to that youtube track. There is something wrong if you aren't getting good bass. I nearly jumped out of my seat at 0:11 seconds. I had it pretty loud though.

I have had good luck with MEElectronic's double flange that come with the M9's and M11+'s.

I got mine yesterday. I like them very much. I can see how they are a bit polarizing with people, though.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #230 of 599

Quote:

I just listened to that youtube track. There is something wrong if you aren't getting good bass. I nearly jumped out of my seat at 0:11 seconds. I had it pretty loud though.

I have had good luck with MEElectronic's double flange that come with the M9's and M11+'s.

I got mine yesterday. I like them very much. I can see how they are a bit polarizing with people, though.

I have a sony s series and i am listening at 12/28 volume. if i am traveling i use 14/28. But still with other iem's like cx300 and meelec r1 i used before, i literally too jumped out of my seat at those times. 

But with this, it seems as if its not there.I also heard Carryout by Timbaland and Sexy Chick, they both sound punny too. As if there is only vocals and some instruments. These two tracks are also supposed to be bliss for bass lovers

Do you think i have got a bad piece? I am seriously thinking of returning them. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #231 of 599
There's definitely something wrong here. These have equal or more impact than any of my full size cans. Check to make sure you aren't blocking the 3 little vents around the nozzle, I've heard that can mess up sound.

It's quite unlikely that both of your earpieces would be messed up, and from my understanding these should provide comparable impact to all of the IEMs you've mentioned, perhaps more. Although depending on where the frequency response is shifted

Try listening to the first 20 seconds or so of the following tracks(in 480p quality to eliminate variables)

Try this one at a moderately loud volume. Do you feel the impact at the beginning of  this track? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suPlYwJ3YvM&ob=av3e Youtube makes it worse than it should be, but you really, really should be able to.

Listen to the beginning of this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZwMX6T5Jhk&ob=av3e Can you hear the bass line clearly at all? Youtube makes it sound distorted though.

Another optional one(actually just sharing because it's awesome :p) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnVduIY75Y

The most likely scenario is a fit issue. The default tips of the Pannies are all about one size smaller than the should be. The "large" tip is about equivalent to the mediums of most other brands, and I could only manage to get a decent seal with the largest ones. The tips are also pretty stiff and not the most form fitting. Definitely mess around with some other tips before returning them. Foams would probably be the best guarantee to be sure you are getting a proper seal.

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #232 of 599

Quote:
There's definitely something wrong here. These have equal or more impact than any of my full size cans. Check to make sure you aren't blocking the 3 little vents around the nozzle, I've heard that can mess up sound.

It's quite unlikely that both of your earpieces would be messed up, and from my understanding these should provide comparable impact to all of the IEMs you've mentioned, perhaps more. Although depending on where the frequency response is shifted

Try listening to the first 20 seconds or so of the following tracks(in 480p quality to eliminate variables)

Try this one at a moderately loud volume. Do you feel the impact at the beginning of  this track? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suPlYwJ3YvM&ob=av3e Youtube makes it worse than it should be, but you really, really should be able to.

Listen to the beginning of this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZwMX6T5Jhk&ob=av3e Can you hear the bass line clearly at all? Youtube makes it sound distorted though.

Another optional one(actually just sharing because it's awesome :p) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnVduIY75Y

The most likely scenario is a fit issue. The default tips of the Pannies are all about one size smaller than the should be. The "large" tip is about equivalent to the mediums of most other brands, and I could only manage to get a decent seal with the largest ones. The tips are also pretty stiff and not the most form fitting. Definitely mess around with some other tips before returning them. Foams would probably be the best guarantee to be sure you are getting a proper seal.

Here is what happened when i listened to the youtube tracks you gave links to.

I used largest size of stock tips. Felt flat response from the bass, i was expecting it since it was same as before. Then i put on cx-300 medium ear tips which are a good fit in my ears for most iems. I was using the same tips when listening from R1, VB and CX-300 and they give me a pretty good fit with acceptable isolation. 

I used Sony laptop which has 5.1 sound card, put the speaker volume on 90 and 75% volume on youtube channel. 

The first song by Jordin Sparks didn't create much bass effect as i was expecting. It just like the bass is there, i get to hear more of her voice and bass is relegated to backseat. Same goes for kanye west with a little improvement. 

HJE900 now has approx 5-10 hours of burn in time. 

I didn't get what you say 'frequency response got shifted' but i feel the iem are bringing out more treble and mids and bass are tacking backseat. In VB, R1 and CX-300 its opposite with R1 and VB balancing bass and mids very effectively and not over shadowing each other. 

I don't like foam tips as they don't fit very well in my ears from previous experience. How i wish you could test my iems. I am sure you would have gone crazy as to how bad this sounds. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #233 of 599
Well perhaps it's just your ears, or your expectations, though again it seems odd. I don't really know how the other IEMs compare, but from what I'd read the VB extends lower and more linearly, so it has more rumble alll the way down, but the mid bass hump on the HJE900 provides them with a bit more palpable thump in most songs. The mids are the most recessed frequencies on these, usually they are the ones taking the backseat to the bass. I've never heard anyone complain about these not having enough bass, and though it's certaily possible and there are bassier phones out there, bass light these certainly are not. Do you have any of your other IEMs still to compare, and have you checked that you don't have any EQ on? I assume you've tried them from another source already, but still. Perhaps you can try EQing the bass up on them and see if you can hear the bass, to make sure its not some kind of hardware defect. Hopefully this gets resolved!

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #234 of 599

Quote:
Well perhaps it's just your ears, or your expectations, though again it seems odd. I don't really know how the other IEMs compare, but from what I'd read the VB extends lower and more linearly, so it has more rumble alll the way down, but the mid bass hump on the HJE900 provides them with a bit more palpable thump in most songs. The mids are the most recessed frequencies on these, usually they are the ones taking the backseat to the bass. I've never heard anyone complain about these not having enough bass, and though it's certaily possible and there are bassier phones out there, bass light these certainly are not. Do you have any of your other IEMs still to compare, and have you checked that you don't have any EQ on? I assume you've tried them from another source already, but still. Perhaps you can try EQing the bass up on them and see if you can hear the bass, to make sure its not some kind of hardware defect.

I am damn sure its not my ears. Atleast not for the songs i hear day in day out. I have some 10-15 songs which i hear 4-5 times a day. And i won't miss a single thing in those. And that's where these has been a big disappointment. 

To be honest, i can't make out difference between treble and mids, but if you hear the youtube link i gave a couple of post back, from 0.20 to 0.28 seconds there is one sound which is prominent and gives way to proper music with a background tapping(starts at 0.29s) which stays throughout the song in mostly the same tune. That particular tapping is very prominent in HJE900 while in other iem its more recessed. So i am not sure if its called treble or mid. I am just trying to explain, may not be precise, but that's the best description i can give. 

I have these IEM's with me right now to compare - VB, CX-300, EP-630 (2) and remember quite a bit of how R1 sounded since i came off them the last. 

All this while, the EQ was off. Especially the links you gave which i heard them on Sony Laptop. While for other songs like the one i gave above (hairat), carry out, sexy chick, break your heart among others, i used Sony S616 walkman which has Custom EQ for all IEM's i have heard with. I don't know if you have a sony walkman player that has a equalizer, but here is my setting. It has highest level of CLEAR BASS which is +3, while 0.4 KHz is at +2, 1.0 khz is at +2, 2.5 khz is at +1 and 6.3 khz and 16khz at 0. 

I am used to hearing with above Equalizer on all the time irrespective of what kind of IEM i use. I have the same EQ on when i listen to it on Logitech Z530 5.1 system and trust me, the youtube song i gave link to has glass-shattering bass at 0.11 and 0.14s. 

It could be that i had huge expectation from this earphone. Actually i was hoping that it was comparable to VB if not better in terms of bass produced. I heard VB with medium bass plates and not the highest one where bass has more priority. May be i am expecting sub-woofer kind of bass in HJE900 because that's what R1 and VB seem to have. Just like you say it goes real low in VB.

Sorry for long post. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #235 of 599
Hmm well I guess thats how things go on head-fi, some stuff works and some doesn't =P I suppose maybe you wanted more really low Bass. I've listened to all the other songs you mentioned on previous occasions through these, and they provided more than enough thump for me, but yea the VB are known for their super low extension. It seems odd that they are less satisfactory than the other IEMs you mentioned, though then again, I haven'theard these compared to those much. I guess you are a true basshead! The only other thing I can think to suggest are Sony Hybrids. Most owners of the HJE900 don't like the hybrids with these, because they emphasize bass too much while compressing the soundstage, but they might work for you. But yea, it seems like it might have been your expectations. Maybe you can acclimate to the sound, if not you can always sell or trade on head-fi =P

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #236 of 599

Quote:
Hmm well I guess thats how things go on head-fi, some stuff works and some doesn't =P I suppose maybe you wanted more really low Bass. I've listened to all the other songs you mentioned on previous occasions through these, and they provided more than enough thump for me, but yea the VB are known for their super low extension. It seems odd that they are less satisfactory than the other IEMs you mentioned, though then again, I haven'theard these compared to those much. I guess you are a true basshead! The only other thing I can think to suggest are Sony Hybrids. Most owners of the HJE900 don't like the hybrids with these, because they emphasize bass too much while compressing the soundstage, but they might work for you. But yea, it seems like it might have been your expectations. Maybe you can acclimate to the sound, if not you can always sell or trade on head-fi =P

I have nothing against head-fi, its just that head-fi was instrumental in skyrocketing my expectations of hje900 after reading reviews. I will see how it goes for a couple of days, hoping to find some improvement, if not i will put it up for sale or just return/exchange it. 

I will try with the hybrids. Lets hope it improves the bass. Thanks for your opinion. 

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #237 of 599

Quote:
I have nothing against head-fi, its just that head-fi was instrumental in skyrocketing my expectations of hje900 after reading reviews. I will see how it goes for a couple of days, hoping to find some improvement, if not i will put it up for sale or just return/exchange it. 

I will try with the hybrids. Lets hope it improves the bass. Thanks for your opinion. 

I 'd say, take every review with a grain of salt, I hope you can get a refund if you dont like them at the end.

Sep 20, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #238 of 599

Quote:
I have these IEM's with me right now to compare - VB, CX-300, EP-630 (2) and remember quite a bit of how R1 sounded since i came off them the last.

You are used to a rediculous amount of bass, that's all, I guess. I've had the VB & CX500 (which already has tamed bass compared to CX300 and which still has way too much) and I know the EP-630.

Seriously, get used to the HJE900 and/or change your taste in music.
tongue.gif

The aforementioned "IEMs" (they're not worthy of the term "monitor") have nothing to do with Hi-Fi, in my opinion. I got fooled into buying the VB because I said I like good bass. Sadly the VB is all bass and way too colored. Sure, it's a good stepping stone because of its resolution and price, but at the current price the HJE900 is being sold, there's absolutely no reason for any other IEM to get recommended instead if you want bass and want to reach audiophile levels at some time!

If you think the HJE900 does not have enough bass, you just aren't meant for Hi-Fi music yet. Head-Fi should not be about emphasized thumping bass.
You might want to try out Bose headphones instead.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #239 of 599

Quote:

You are used to a rediculous amount of bass, that's all, I guess. I've had the VB & CX500 (which already has tamed bass compared to CX300 and which still has way too much) and I know the EP-630.

tongue.gif

The aforementioned "IEMs" (they're not worthy of the term "monitor") have nothing to do with Hi-Fi, in my opinion. I got fooled into buying the VB because I said I like good bass. Sadly the VB is all bass and way too colored. Sure, it's a good stepping stone because of its resolution and price, but at the current price the HJE900 is being sold, there's absolutely no reason for any other IEM to get recommended instead if you want bass and want to reach audiophile levels at some time!

If you think the HJE900 does not have enough bass, you just aren't meant for Hi-Fi music yet. Head-Fi should not be about emphasized thumping bass.

Either what you have said is true or there is something wrong with his set or possibly not getting a good seal when he thinks he is. What he is describing is nothing like what I'm hearing.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #240 of 599

Quote:
I 'd say, take every review with a grain of salt, I hope you can get a refund if you dont like them at the end.

I have learned it the hard way i guess. Still, giving the credit where its due, i picked up cx-300 a year or so back after reading its reviews on head-fi only, and to some extent also for VB. Too bad it didn't work out for hje900. I am not sure if i will get a refund or not, but i can keep them as dead meat. 

Quote:

tongue.gif

I agree i have been used to more bass, but that's why when i started a buying thread i wrote the requirements as a bass head. That's where lopez advised about hje900 and after reading other reviews by prominent reviewers i picked them up thinking it would be quite good. I would have stuck to R1 if they provided good isolation and wind noise, too bad it was not tolerable.

Headphones are not suitable for my kind of use, so i avoid them. I have a headphone which i use sparingly at home. Won't really want to invest in another headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back