Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Aug 31, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #121 of 599

^ I remember there must be some comparisons with the RE0 in the older threads.

From memory the highs were quite similar, both very detailed and extended, if anything it was the RE0 that was a bit more squeaky to my ears. Most noticable differences were bass (RE0 = lean, HJE900 = punchy) and soundstage (RE0 = rather intimate, HJE900 = wider). IMO those who dislike agressive highs would neither find the RE0 nor the HJE900 to their taste.

>

alright. Thanks for that, sounds more like a RE0 adjusted nearer to my liking. So the RE0 was the one who's squeaky eh? That's something to remember. Thanks. and yeah, any ideas how long J&R usually restocks?Would stocks arrive perhaps a week or two from now? :)

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #122 of 599
As one thing to note, the harshness issue with the HJE900s can be quite easily resolved by using either foam tips such as complies(which kills the highs a bit too much for my liking), or by using James444s own foam mod, which involves removing the nozzle filters(which have a tendency of falling out on their own anyways, one quality control quirk with these) and places some thin foam, such as that from cheap earbuds, inside the nozzle. This lets you control the amount of treble tuning to your liking. Using complies though, there is no semblance of harshness or sibilance at all. I haven't heard the S4 so I can't compare, but imo the harsh highs issue with these is negligible if you're willing to do a little easy tweaking on your own. Additionally, I just cant detect harshness at all with mine anymore, but still with some of my other HPs.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #124 of 599
Could someone detail out the foam mod a bit for me? I know you can stuff some down inside once the mesh is removed, but how much do people like to use, and what shape do you like to form it to? A couple pics? Thanks in advance!

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #125 of 599
^ No need for pics, at least not for what I did: I cut two circles of about 4-5mm diameter out of some Apple earbud foam pads and shoved them shallowly into the nozzle. That's all. It's crucial to use very low density foam, but the mod itself is easy as pie.

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #126 of 599

Quote:
^ No need for pics, at least not for what I did: I cut two circles of about 4-5mm diameter out of some Apple earbud foam pads and shoved them shallowly into the nozzle. That's all. It's crucial to use very low density foam, but the mod itself is easy as pie.

Cool, thanks, got it.. I will hunt around for some foam bud covers and give it a go (I know I must have some around somewhere). 

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #127 of 599
I'm almost tempted to get these for 90 + tax which makes it just under $100. J&R has a pretty nice low price for these right now. I don't know how long they will last however.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #129 of 599
I'm still on the fence about these.  Only 2 days so far but the sound hasn't wowed me and the best thing that would most likely influence my appreciation for these is the current price.  Take this as a cursory initial impression.  I'm tempted to do the filter mod but having a look at them it seems that Panasonic may have up'd the glue on them.  They don't look likely to fall out anytime soon.  Still early.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #130 of 599
wow you got the hje900s too? looking forward to the impressions of those...wonder how they compare to the mc5s even thought they're completely different signatures

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #131 of 599

Quote:
wow you got the hje900s too? looking forward to the impressions of those...wonder how they compare to the mc5s even thought they're completely different signatures

So far?  Like polar opposites.  If the Pannies are a 'V' the MC5s are an 'A'. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #132 of 599
yeah that's what i was getting at, haven't heard either but read what you thought of the mc5s and yeah....polar opposites

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #133 of 599

Quote:
I'm still on the fence about these.  Only 2 days so far but the sound hasn't wowed me and the best thing that would most likely influence my appreciation for these is the current price.  Take this as a cursory initial impression.  I'm tempted to do the filter mod but having a look at them it seems that Panasonic may have up'd the glue on them.  They don't look likely to fall out anytime soon.  Still early.

What tips have you tried? Foams can have the same effect as the filter mod, though with complies a bit too much for my liking. I'm quite enjoying using my monster supertips on them(both gel and foam, though leaning a bit more towards the gel). For some reason, they seem to bring out the mids more, which really surprised me seeing as I'd heard they tend to muddy up the sound. Otherwise, I prefer using tips with the largest opening possible, since it really brings out the IMO great imaging and separation of these phones, and makes the sounstage have this intimate "3D" feel. I could never really get a proper seal with any of the stock tips, which were both too stiff, and on the whole, too small.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #134 of 599

Quote:
What tips have you tried? Foams can have the same effect as the filter mod, though with complies a bit too much for my liking. I'm quite enjoying using my monster supertips on them(both gel and foam, though leaning a bit more towards the gel). For some reason, they seem to bring out the mids more, which really surprised me seeing as I'd heard they tend to muddy up the sound. Otherwise, I prefer using tips with the largest opening possible, since it really brings out the IMO great imaging and separation of these phones, and makes the sounstage have this intimate "3D" feel. I could never really get a proper seal with any of the stock tips, which were both too stiff, and on the whole, too small.

I'm using my default M11 bi flanges which are my go to for dynamics w/ large apertures.  I'll try the supertips but I'm not having problems w/ too much treble.  I want more sparkle and clarity and unlike what people say about the M50s the mids on the HJE900 are actually recessed, not just masked by treble or bass.  There is an overall lack of refinement in the sound, a bit rougher and grittier all around.  Still early though.  I'll play around a bit.  They really sound like the filters need to take a permanent vacation.  Not sure that would refine the sound though.  I'm nowhere near to judging Imaging and SS yet, those are my last areas of concern in a phone w/ imaging > SS.

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #135 of 599
I'm not sure either, to be honest =P I guess it depends on what you considered refined. These are undoubtedly very energetic, to the point of being eccentric to some. But I don't know, I found burn-in(mental or physical, w/e) helped me quite a bit on these in terms of what I consider "refinement". In my case, the harsh highs just seemed to dissappear, which I found odd since I still heard harshness so clearly on some of my other headphones.

Iremember my long dilemma choosing between the M11 Biflange and standard tip. In the end, personally prefered the Meelec standard tip to the biflange, since the biflange seemed to compress the soundstage and make things sound a bit more muddied overall for me, even if it did have a sturdier fit. I don't find the supertips to really attenuate treble significantly at all for me. I'm not really sure how to describe how they presented the sound; perhaps what I percieved as more forward mids was simply a result of having such a better seal. I do prefer the gels to the foam overall, on these.

In any case good luck, maybe you'll like them, maybe you wont =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back