Panasonic RP-HJE900 Zirconia Review
Sep 6, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #136 of 599
Ok, just put on the Monster Gels and Foam Hybrids.  I think they do sound better on the HJE900 than the M11 tips.  Odd.  I'll check more tomorrow to verify its not psychoacoustics.

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #137 of 599
I'm still trying to verify whether or not its psycho acoustics myself, lol. I left my headphones at home in the process of moving back onto my college campus, but I really didn't expect the supertips to sound better than my meelec ones, since using tips with smaller openings hadn't done me any good on these in the past; I bought them more for the isolation and fit for when I'm on the go. Additionally, since those tips were known to emphasize the bass, well I didn't think I needed any more of that. I do think soundstage is ever so slightly larger with the single flanged meelecs, but things seemed "better" overall on the supertips. Maybe it was just an altered sound sig that appealed to me, idk. I'll have to do more testing when I get my HJEs back later today.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #138 of 599
Thought I'd put in my two cents since I just bought these.  My first impression is that I am very happy with the sound--definitely enough bass and at least to my ears, it sounds pretty clean/tight on tracks with punchy kick drums.

My only complaint is the fit.  First of all, the large-sized included tips are the same size, if not smaller, than the medium Shure tips I had on my SE210s.  Also, I think my ears are pretty average sized, and I cannot get them to [comfortably] fit over my ears, which is my preferred method.  The "post" by the nozzle sticks up too far and the cable just falls over the top of my ear.  I'm used to over-the-ear but will give the straight-in method a fair shot... just skeptical that it will give me a tight enough seal to block out the noise on the subway.  Fortunately I can return these to J&R in the next two weeks if I can't get a good fit.

Overall I'm very happy with the sound of these since I was looking for a slightly bassy, "fun" earphone and the HJE900s are definitely that.  Thanks to Ultrazino for the tip.

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #139 of 599
I've been fortunate at getting the over the ear method to work rather cleanly and consistently.  Definitely the preferred method for these IMO. 

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #140 of 599

Quote:
Thought I'd put in my two cents since I just bought these.  My first impression is that I am very happy with the sound--definitely enough bass and at least to my ears, it sounds pretty clean/tight on tracks with punchy kick drums.

My only complaint is the fit.  First of all, the large-sized included tips are the same size, if not smaller, than the medium Shure tips I had on my SE210s.  Also, I think my ears are pretty average sized, and I cannot get them to [comfortably] fit over my ears, which is my preferred method.  The "post" by the nozzle sticks up too far and the cable just falls over the top of my ear.  I'm used to over-the-ear but will give the straight-in method a fair shot... just skeptical that it will give me a tight enough seal to block out the noise on the subway.  Fortunately I can return these to J&R in the next two weeks if I can't get a good fit.

Overall I'm very happy with the sound of these since I was looking for a slightly bassy, "fun" earphone and the HJE900s are definitely that.  Thanks to Ultrazino for the tip.

Not to be stereotypical, but I do feel these were designed more for the asian market, and as such the tips are more like a size below what they should be when compared to your usual IEMs. The largest included tip was smaller than the medium skullcandy tips I had lying around. I'd definitely recommend getting some new tips, preferably something with the widest opening possible; think standard wide-aperture tips like you see on most IEMs. Meelec sells sets for pretty cheap. I know J&R sells Sony hybrids, which seal very well and are highly comfortable, but they compress the sound alot and muddy stuff up with these. Radioshack auvio tips are actually excellent, but don't provide the best isolation. Oddly, I quite like using monster supertips(preferably gel, but foam works too) with these despite the smaller opening. I don't recommend any foams besides the Supertips because they attenuate treble too much.

As for wearing them over the ear, have you tried using the cord grip? It is basically useless when worn cable-down, but when worn over the ear it works excellently for keeping the headphones and cables in place. Alternatively, you can get a Sleek Audio cable from J&R for something like 15 bucks I believe, which will provide you with a longer cable that makes these easier to wear over the ear because of the plug design. Plus, it gives you a backup cable anyways. In any case, using the cord grip allows me to wear these over ear with no issues whatsoever. Every ear is different though, good luck.

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #142 of 599

Quote:
Anyone got a pick of these w/ the SA-6 cables worn over the ear?

My HJEs are still at home; haven't gotten the chance to pick them back up yet. When I get them back, Ill post a pic if someone hasn't already. Another interesting thing about the SA6 cables is that they allow the CZs to insert more deeply even when worn cable down, since the little plug thingy rotates to different angles and whatnot. It feels a bit awkward at first, but eventually it ended up being more comfortable for me. The cord grip on the SA6 cables is also much better.

Sep 7, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #143 of 599
I am definitely liking the sound of these more and more.  The mids are not as muffled or recessed as the first 1.5 days out of the box.  Now that my fit and tips are settled on these they are definite keepers.  For now these are my goto beater IEM w/ damn good sound.  I'm still on the fence about doing the filter mod since mine seem really secure w/ a decent amount of glue.  Feel like I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.    

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #144 of 599
I really like these, but on one side, I keep getting a "pop" or "click" noise each time I press it in my ear, and sometimes randomly without even touching it... kind of like pressure popping. However, it only happens on the L bud, on either ear. It's weird. Anyone else have this problem or can maybe help? Thanks.

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #145 of 599

Quote:
I really like these, but on one side, I keep getting a "pop" or "click" noise each time I press it in my ear, and sometimes randomly without even touching it... kind of like pressure popping. However, it only happens on the L bud, on either ear. It's weird. Anyone else have this problem or can maybe help? Thanks.

That popping is common on dynamics whenever you get a good seal, especially on new IEMs, I find. Theres a small chance that it has something to do with the tip; you could try changing the tip from one bud to another and see if it persists only on the L bud. Good luck in anycase.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #146 of 599
I love my HJE900s with Comply T400s.

Just a heads up: these are at JR Music for $77.99 right now

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_RPHJE900/

Sep 10, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #148 of 599
wow nice price i hope this lasts until i get my dba-02 is sold. the problem is im getting so many offers for it lol. hope the pannys can give me some of what the dba-02 gave me. not having money sucks.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #149 of 599
These continue to tempt me with each passing day. They would be around 85 or so for me.

@Anaxilus: Since you have experience with a couple of earphones I'm familiar with..how much more bass impact do these have compared to say a DBA-02 and Coppers or MD's? Treble I can handle but I'm hoping mids aren't recessed if I do pick a pair. I've been meaning to go to J&R for something else however so might have to stop by.

Sep 11, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #150 of 599

Quote:
These continue to tempt me with each passing day. They would be around 85 or so for me.

@Anaxilus: Since you have experience with a couple of earphones I'm familiar with..how much more bass impact do these have compared to say a DBA-02 and Coppers or MD's? Treble I can handle but I'm hoping mids aren't recessed if I do pick a pair. I've been meaning to go to J&R for something else however so might have to stop by.

Mids are more recessed than the MD's obviously, they are warmer than the Coppers and MDs, don't have the clarity of the Coppers or DBAs obviously.  They are fun and engaging though.  The bass is more akin to the Coppers than MDs, quicker even.  If you acclimate to the signature everything sounds pretty damn good for $80.  They might be a nice complement to your REZero if they are close to the DBA signature.  The DBA and MD are my Yin and Yang phones, maybe the REZero and HJE900 would be for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back