Panasonic HJE900 1 my small ears nil-UE or Meelec tips?
Dec 1, 2010 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nadsta

Head-Fier
Hi all, my 1st post...

read the many excellent posts here including the fantastic review of 118 iems and counting. I have just bought the HJE900s thanks to the info at Head Fi, they seemed to fit my needs/budget/longevity expectations.

About 50 hours of burn in and SQ is improving, getting smoother, still with a tendancy to expose sibilance in a recording which I guess is part of the sound sig.  Not a problem, I'll accept that as the awesome build quality and replaceable cables seal the deal.  

Previous IEMs were Ety HF2 .  I was grateful when they broke the 2nd time (cable strain relief), returned to Ety for a brand new set of HF3s which went straight on eBay.  Loved the airy and analytical hi end, they sounded like they had supertweeters fitted, as if there was an entire octave of clean treble that's missing on the HJE 900s (and anything else I've heard).  Little low end energy, though fast and articulate was lacking in mass so the lack of balance got a bit fatiguing for me. 

Anyway Ety deal breaker was more about comfort, tried all stock and then Comply tips but it was always painful.  Reading up on these forums, I put it down to the deep insertion required by the Ety design.  However stock HJE900 tips are equally painful in all 3 sizes (medium being the worst).  I know the HJE900 tip is wider than the Ety but then again its shallower.

I don't know if I have unduly small or sensitive ears, I can wear pliable MAX orange earplugs with little or no pain overnight.  The only comfortable IEM/tips I've had was included with a Sony smartphone some years ago.

So can anyone with a similar issue recommended replacement tips? I've read that the hybrids could constrict the sound, Complys kill the top end, so thats leaves the UEs and Meelecs AFAIK. Alternatively I'd be happy to have ACS make some custom tips if anyone has experience of this with these IEMs

FWIW I use them with MBP & iphone 4. ( I wonder whether an E5 with LOD is worth the effort to save cable strain relief wear. )

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 3
My favorite tips for most of my large-size nozzle IEMs (including HJE900) are that fit the Shure E2c.  Here's a link for some on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/replacement-tips-SHURE-E2c-i2c-B-9-PAIR-/170514690097?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item27b377b031

My ear canal is fairly small and these fit and feel great and sound good -- no SQ loss.

Also, for me, the MEElec tips are too soft and flimsy -- they tend to buckle and not seal well in my ears -- I prefer stiffer material like the Shure tips have.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Great, they weren't on my list so that's really helpful.  At least tips are cheap so you can aford to make a mistake or 2, I'll check 'em out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back