Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Mar 23, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #796 of 920
Of all the tips I've tried, I went back to stock. They don't have a good grip as they're very smooth, but they tame the bass and give me the clearest highs.

I don't notice any sibilance, btw. Not with my preferred music, not at my volumes.

I also didn't think of the foam mod as an improvement.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #798 of 920
I've always thought everyone was idiots when I heard them claiming a lot of bass. And no your pair is not faulty I had 3 of these and I still wouldn't call these bass monsters. Different ears. One thing i can say if you think these are even slightly bassy don't go near a Hippo Vb. The atrios should be avoided as well which have sub-bass that can give you a headache. But its ultra refined and just oozes quality. Somebody (you know who you are) recommended me a dubstep track that nearly blew my eyeballs across the room. The Eterna is in a league of its own. Seriously.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #799 of 920

Quote:
I've always thought everyone was idiots

Yes, but you always think everyone is an idiot!
beyersmile.png

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #801 of 920

Quote:
I love my Pany's, I only wish they fit in my ears a little more flush so they were more comfortable to sleep in, but I can do it without much trouble, just mainly sleep on my back or with my hand kind of near my head to press the pillow down a little around my ear on my side. :)

Quote:
VERY true.  I get the best sound, to my ears, with Comply foamies.  It helps with the sibilance and brings out more bass, which I must confess to be rather fond of  
gs1000.gif

Quote:
I would have mentioned tips, but I assumed with all the IEMs he has in his sig, he would've tried a variety of tips =P But indeed, foamies seem to be the best for bringing out bass. They tame the treble too much for my tastes though.

I highly recommend triple flange tips, I'm using the pair from my DBA set. They put the pannies flush with your ear and increase isolation, also eliminating the sibilance. 

Quote:
I've always thought everyone was idiots when I heard them claiming a lot of bass. And no your pair is not faulty I had 3 of these and I still wouldn't call these bass monsters. Different ears. One thing i can say if you think these are even slightly bassy don't go near a Hippo Vb. The atrios should be avoided as well which have sub-bass that can give you a headache. But its ultra refined and just oozes quality. Somebody (you know who you are) recommended me a dubstep track that nearly blew my eyeballs across the room. The Eterna is in a league of its own. Seriously.

The bass for me on the Pana's is perfect! I think it suits the kind of music I listen to that way. The JVC  will be here any day and those are supposed to be bassier so it's going to be interesting burning them in mentally 
L3000.gif

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #803 of 920
blink.gif

Really? What other phones are you coming from? The V-curve on the HJE900 is insane. It's like 5 bass, 3 mids, 7 treble.

I'm with Ultrazino. It's really not that pronounced imo, perhaps because the mids are so clear, and vocals to me sound so transparent, if somewhat colored. The mids barely sound any more recessed than my Ety MC5s, which are supposed to be neutral to mids-forward. Mids are more forward than my RX700s and D1100s as well. Mine have hundreds, if not thousands of hours on burn in on them though.

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #804 of 920

Quote:
blink.gif

Really? What other phones are you coming from? The V-curve on the HJE900 is insane. It's like 5 bass, 3 mids, 7 treble.

I'm with you.  Probably a 5, 3-4, 7 for me.  TF10 was 7, 2-3, 5-6 for me.  

I'm with the others on the lean bass issue as well.  Even the truncated bass that the DBA has is more full and round to my ears. Punch, speed and impact are similar I think.  Though the 900 does beat them on most other aspects of bass like extension and texture, etc.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #806 of 920

Quote:
blink.gif

I don't find it much more V-shaped than the PFE with black filters, only slightly. But as I said, it's not the quantity but rather the extension to the low volumes. The PFE cuts off the really low bass which makes it sound thinner in comparison. But with Classical the amount is approximately the same.

Which tips are you using? Did you put foam in the housing?
I use the standard tips. Every other tip I've used resulted in an insane bass boost. Maybe you're exaggerating with the "perfect seal" or it's just me not wanting too much pressure in my ear canals.
I did try the foam mod but it colored the sound, which I didn't like at all.

And I will also repeat, I do not have any sibilance on mine. There are but a few records that are piercing in the highs, but they sound bad on any headphone I've tried (Little Jackie - The Stoop, for example).

I guess I'll try a low/mid/high-comparison for you:
For me it's more of a 2 - 0 - 4. The PFE/black is a 1 - 0 - 3, PFE/gray: 0 - 2 - 1
The HFI-780: 4 - 0 - 6 (on my thin head) / 7 - 0 - 4 (with enough pressure, like it's supposed to be, I guess).

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #807 of 920
I ended up using comply's over everything else. If you guys are saying bass is a 5, then I'm hearing 5, 6, 8. Mids are definitely not recessed to me. The TF10's are one of my favorites. By this scale I hear them as 7,5-6,7-8 depending on the song quality.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #809 of 920
I have bought the Sony Hybrids just for the HJE900. What a waste! I tried them for one month to check if I could adjust my ears. But I couldn't.
The hybrids cut off the highs and bloat the bass so that the bass is not punchy but boomy. Definitely not recommended!

As for complys, they block out the tiny air holes. I've tried it and they cramp the soundstage (and muffle the highs).

As for generic, more rubbery silicone tips like Sennheiser's default, the bass' amount also increases and has a longer decay.

Default tips are best. For me, anyway.

Mar 24, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #810 of 920
I agree. The recessed mids aren't as bad at higher volume levels. I've also noticed the recording matters a lot. The V-shape and recessed mids are very pronounced in some songs, but not so much in others. 

Quote:
Don't forget that V-shapes may appear quite different, depending on your personal loudness curve and listening volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back