Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Mar 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #781 of 920
I don't consider myself a bass head at all. I'm trying to describe a lower volume presentation to bass in my ears. I hear the extension going deep but it is something I have to concentrate on to hear it because it is overshadowed. The overall note sounds lean. Actually note thickness wise, these remind me of the Shure se420's. Those were lean too but did have decent bass extension. Obviously the rest of their presentation is different. It also makes me think of how others have described RE0 bass. Good extension but not presented up front.

I guess I was hoping to hear of great change after so many hours. I don't want to sell them b/c the treble is so much fun. Distortion guitars are tasty crunchy. But the lean note saps the fun out of the song. It's frustrating to hear one aspect so good, possibly better than any other phone, only to have another ruin it for you.

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #782 of 920
Woah.....Reo bass.

Ok you lost me there. Defintely not a Reo bass....lifeless piece of...........

The Pana's have extension all the way down but it more of a clean phone.....without a huge sub-bass rumble like the Atrio, or VB. 
This is why when I hear these are bass head phones I raise a eyebrow. To be honest I wish they had more.
But they definitely will be considered bass head phones to others, and if they are never step close to a Hippo Vb, or Eterna.

Those will knock your socks off. Monster Gold as well (haven't heard the others)
The Pana defintely has punch enough to give you a head ache but if it had more sub-bass.....it would be pefect.

Maybe I am a bass head....
rolleyes.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #783 of 920
Hi,

Can anyone provide some comparisons of HJE900 bass to other models.  For reference, bass levels i find satisfying are:
- klipsch s4
- playaz n3

Xears TDIII - slightly too much bass for me.  Maybe its just had too much bass rumble.  I don't mind a little rumble but this rumbled on any bass note. 
Meelec CC51 - Good bass but just not enough for my liking. But only just. 
PA PFE022 - too little bass

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #784 of 920
Quote:
I'm a little confused by all the comments on bass for these. I really enjoy the splashy treble and actually find the upper mids forward of the bass. Distortion guitars sound really special on these. However the bass is very lean. Don't get me wrong, I hear the extension and the slight mid bass hump but the overall bass presentation is really lean. It makes the music sound thin to my ears and doesn't carry the robust note I prefer.

All I know is that I love them!
But I know somebody who is far more experienced with IEMs and he told me why I do:

The bass of the HJE900 goes very low, lower than the PFE, for example. He did say that bass quantity of the HJE900 is betweeen black and gray filters. However, tracks that have deep bass, (like most Electronica) sounds bass heavy, whereas the bass is also quite good for Classical because it's not too emphasized. Same goes for treble and that's what makes the Panny sound as "musical."

I think the V-shape is very small and, to my ears, the HJE900 is very balanced.

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #785 of 920
All I know is that I love them!
But I know somebody who is far more experienced with IEMs and he told me why I do:

The bass of the HJE900 goes very low, lower than the PFE, for example. He did say that bass quantity of the HJE900 is betweeen black and gray filters. However, tracks that have deep bass, (like most Electronica) sounds bass heavy, whereas the bass is also quite good for Classical because it's not too emphasized. Same goes for treble and that's what makes the Panny sound as "musical."

I think the V-shape is very small and, to my ears, the HJE900 is very balanced.

Thanks. This makes some sense with what I'm hearing. Looks like my expectations were probably wrong.

Mar 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #788 of 920
Classifieds, and Amazon Uk is your best bet.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #790 of 920

Quote:
I'm a little confused by all the comments on bass for these. I really enjoy the splashy treble and actually find the upper mids forward of the bass. Distortion guitars sound really special on these. However the bass is very lean. Don't get me wrong, I hear the extension and the slight mid bass hump but the overall bass presentation is really lean. It makes the music sound thin to my ears and doesn't carry the robust note I prefer.

There must be something wrong with your pair...what could it be....oh!  I know!  You must have let them come into close contact with your Atrios!

The HJE900's are excellent for the price, very punchy and dynamic, but the Atrios make them sound quite thin on the low end.  I have to listen to my Panas awhile without listening to my Atrios in order to appreciate the sound signature.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #792 of 920

I bought the used. Previous owner says they have 75+ hours and I've put 40+ on them. Instead of a V signature I hear a signature like this: _/
it's like the gain on upper mids and treble are higher than the bass presentation. I suspect it's my ears. I've read a few others have heard these the same way but most seem to hear more bass presentation. Any ideas? How much burn in do these need to sound their best? I have tried my whole arsenal of tips. I think complys and the old Shure e2c tips sound best.

Haha it really must be the Atrios, and the atrios must really be something in terms of bass if they make the Pannies sound lean. Ears are a funny thing. If you check out reviews for the Denon D1100 on headfi, the number one complaint is about them having a ridiculous amount of bass, even more than the Denon D1001, which was known to have alot of bass. Reading those reviews made me think it was some hugely ridiculous amount of bass.

But then I bought them and I was like, that's it? I mean it wasn't weak at all, but compared to my pannies(for which I use tips to remove some of the bass) they sounded positively wimpy. So I thought it must have been my source, so I went out and bought a new sound card. Bass improved substantially, but still very noticeably less than the Pannies. I found it kind of funny, because the first reviews for the Pannies during its major FOTM period were all about super-bass. Now the past few months people have been saying it's really not that bad. I lie somewhere in the middle. I think the amount of bass is very strong, but not too much at all.

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #793 of 920
Tips of course make a big difference here too.. If you're using tiny tips or triple flange, you're going to get less thump out of these (any any IEM). I use M9 Natural's, also tried some others which are stiffer and both give a reasonable amount of bass. Foamies would be even MORE base.  Coming from my old set of IEM's which I won't mention because they're low end crap, it took some getting used to my Pany's.. They sounded a little thin and weak. Now that I'm used to the signature, I like that no bass thunders over the other details, yet you can feel it there all the same.

I love my Pany's, I only wish they fit in my ears a little more flush so they were more comfortable to sleep in, but I can do it without much trouble, just mainly sleep on my back or with my hand kind of near my head to press the pillow down a little around my ear on my side. :)

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #794 of 920

Quote:
Tips of course make a big difference here too.

VERY true.  I get the best sound, to my ears, with Comply foamies.  It helps with the sibilance and brings out more bass, which I must confess to be rather fond of  
gs1000.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #795 of 920
I would have mentioned tips, but I assumed with all the IEMs he has in his sig, he would've tried a variety of tips =P But indeed, foamies seem to be the best for bringing out bass. They tame the treble too much for my tastes though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back