Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Apr 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #76 of 920
I have read that 128kbps-192kbps sound bad on the hje900's

I just wanted to know if these iem's really pronounce the limitations of low bit-rate music?? I have some music below the 192kbps range and wanted to know if i may have problems with it on the hje900's??

I wont be using an amp and want to really buy the 900's, just concerned about the sound?? Should i go ahead with it or go for the re0+fiio e5?

Any other suggestion..coz re-ripping all my collection will be not possible

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #78 of 920
I have been noticing mp3 compression artefacts up to 192kbps with the HJE900, because of their detailed and revealing treble, but I doubt that the RE0 would be more forgiving.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #80 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
detailed and revealing or savagely brutal?

@ mark2410, does your statment mean your not very impressed with the hje900?
normal_smile .gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #81 of 920
well im certainly not as impressed with them as others here have been. i do like the unique quality they have but i find the bass too powerful and the treble to be very hard edged. it does remind me of the sound of the C751 but the denon just beats it in every regard. the denon just nails that cold but bassy sound, the panny takes that sound and really dials up the aggression and the bass.

they do have a really interesting quality to them though

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #83 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the denon just nails that cold but bassy sound, the panny takes that sound and really dials up the aggression and the bass.

We do hear them very differently, to my ears the HJE900 are not cold sounding, they even have an IE8-like upper bass hump, just not as prominent as the Senns.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #85 of 920
I use them quite successfully with 192kbs music - I do notice 320kbs seems a little better but it's not a huge difference and doesn't really ****** up the sound of the music. I often can't really tell until I check, although I usually pick it correctly before checking..

Can't listen to 128kbs though. Who can, unless it's ogg vbr? Ogg VBR at ~120 kbs is actually (I find) similar to a CBR mp3 at 192kbs. I did a lot of listening tests when I was younger and that was my conclusion - I had to re-encode my entire collection when I got and iPod however
frown.gif

I also listen to them for most of the day at work and then often walking or just at home, no issues with headaches or fatigue and I haven't done the foam mod. I listen at moderate volume generally though.

The sound is far less laid back than my M6, and I eq up the sub bass if I'm on a pc to match the mid bass. Please note it doesn't really need this. The amount of bass is perfect for me however.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #86 of 920
Thank u for u replies, i think i'll go wid the panasonics, just checked got around 3k songs of 128kbps range, just short of a quarter of my library...i think i can live wid dat...over time i'll recode it in the apple lossless format...any other tips or an amp recommended wid it, shuld be cheap though, will be burning a large hole in my pocket wid this purchase..hehe

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #87 of 920
^ cheap amps typically aren't very good :p probably will need to spend more than the player for a decent amp but that doesn't make much sense to me

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #88 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I kinda do wanna give these iem's a try mostly due to its high ratings and cheap price. Anyone here in NYC wanna give me a try? :p

I'm too far upstate ( 30 min. from Canada) or i'd let ya try mine.They're absolutely my favorite IEM so far once i went with the Comply tips and got about 50 hours on them, and after letting my brother audition them tonight, his too...
devil_face.gif
any time you wanna meet me midstate you can check mine out...but then again..the gas you'd burn would buy you a set of your own.
confused_face_2.gif
Great IEM @ a great price.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #89 of 920
I think I'll actually wait till April is over actually so I edited it to help the 3 posts above. I got a bit too many iem's to handle for one month lol(just saw the tracking on a package i'm getting). They are definitely cheap and dynamic (which I have none of not counting the PL30 cuz they arent on the same level) which would complete my set of a good BA,hybrid and dynamic lol

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #90 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'll actually wait till April is over actually so I edited it to help the 3 posts above. I got a bit too many iem's to handle for one month lol(just saw the tracking on a package i'm getting). They are definitely cheap and dynamic (which I have none of not counting the PL30 cuz they arent on the same level) which would complete my set of a good BA,hybrid and dynamic lol

We all have those months...lol....i'm tracking my new Sony A846
ksc75smile.gif
so i totally "get it". I need to hold off on trying the Ortofon and be content with my 900's...why won't this hobby let us be content?
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back