Panasonic CZs (HJE900) Appreciation Thread and Pending Review
Apr 14, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #91 of 920
cuz something shiny pops up every so often. I'm actually very happy with the e-Q7 and CK10 but I want the xjays when it comes out while I'm saving for customs lol.

I will need to read some more reviews on these soon tho. They seem like a pretty good pair although I don't like modifying really.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #92 of 920
I used to be ridiculously anal about not wanting to modify anything, but i've rethought that recently, since Comply on my 900's and Monster tri flange on CK10 have made them my 2 favorite IEM's. Without changing things up, i wouldn't care for either nearly as much. With the Comply on my 900s, i almost can't stand the thought of listening to my IE8 or X10's...the 2 that used to be my favorites. (and i'm by no means trash talking them now)
wink_face.gif

All toooooo often something shiny comes up these days it seems. My wallet says
redface.gif
but my ears say
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #93 of 920
I don't consider putting a different tip on an iem modification. I mean stuff like foam removal where the iem is changed from when you first got it. I just don't like doing that for reasons that its harder to resell sometimes if they are not keepers. I would have no problems with the CK10 or e-Q7 modification but there are none and I have no intention of finding out if there are.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #94 of 920
I never used to consider tip swapping as a mod either but i have a couple of friends that do, so i guess the line blurs depending on the viewpoint. at any rate, i wouldn't "mod" any of my IEM's beyond tip selection still, so i guess i'm still as anal about it as ever...
frown.gif

Back to the 900's....how 'bout the sound with ALAC files?? Whoaa. I always thought 320kbps mp3 or WAV sounded good on these till i started experimenting recently.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #95 of 920
Ok. So this proves it. I need a source upgrade.

As I mentioned somewhere previously, the one thing that bothered me about the sound of these was that softly played pianos or some lower rumbling bass seemed to create some distortion artifacts that would make me not want to listen to songs that featured those elements. But trying them out of the sound card in the computers of my school's computer lab, I hear none of it nada. I revert to my celphone or laptop and it's clear as day. I thought maybe I had damaged them(since i hadn't heard to tracks like those previously, I couldn't be sure) after the filters fell out, but it seems not.

On another note, mine are foam modded. After I put them one day in my pocket without a case, I noticed all the lint and dust accumulated around the silicon tips, and thought some of that must have fallen into the driver, so i foam modded them simply for protection. I'm using a supremely not-dense layer of foam which i got from a microphone(i can still see the driver past the black foam, despite it being a few milimeters thick), and I haven't noticed any real changes to the sound thankfully.

Actually, the soundstage has been impressing me alot since the foam mod. Seems weird, as that doesn't seem like it would help soundstage, but things seem to sound more natural and even more expansive. Very weird and I'm attributing it completely to some psychological thing, but I'm not complaining =]

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #96 of 920
I wouldn't put these with an amp. They sound clearer on the uDAC, but I think that might be a combination of DAC + power. Seriously, they are way too loud at half volume on an itouch, and I don't think you get a real performance gain.

Maybe it would be a higher quality signal from headphone out -> high quality amp, but with the money you'd spend to make a readily audible difference you could just buy a better IEM. You definitely don't need any additional power for the sake of volume!

Actually I'm waiting on a resistor so I can get a low enough volume on the uDAC..

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #97 of 920
Oh well I wasn't even thinking of an amp, just a better DAC(I haven't tried the tracks i've noticed the issue with out of an ipod). Although maybe a simple amp and resistor is what I need. Perhaps the fiio would suffice. in any case, I'm glad to hear it's not an issue with the headphones. Out of this comp lab computer the sound quality is simply notably superior than out of my regular sources. The issue only seems to happen with some sub bass stuff in movie soundtracks and with softly played pianos or guitars sometimes, but not on this computer. Odd.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #99 of 920
I got the E5, to my ears it didn't sound as good as it did coming straight out of the ipod, but that was on other headphones - (full size open ones, i just wanted the bass boost) so I'd probably recommend just straight up ipod.

Mind you, I didn't try it with a line out cable because I can't find mine - but it didn't sound great so I just left it.

Actually does anyone want to buy an E5? $5, plus shipping. I'm in Australia though
frown.gif

PS, try the ipod - I actually think it produces pretty good sound. Let me know!

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #100 of 920
Have any of you HJE900 owners ever gone running while wearing them? The only thing that holds me back from purchasing these IEM's is my fear of bone conduction, that "thumping" noise I hear when I walk or run with other IEM's. It just bothers me so much.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #102 of 920
You know what I'm talking about, though, right? Or is there no "thumping" noise with the HJE900 whatsoever? Such as, when walking around outside, or stamping your foot. It's enough to make me wear earbuds rather than IEM's, although I'm always hopeful there exists an exception to this rule, since earbuds are never very comfortable to me.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #103 of 920
Well I'm not sure how much the thumping you describe is related to the IEM specifically. Pretty much every headphone with a decent isolation. However cable microphonics are definitely lower than average. I'll try testing it out when I get home, but it definitely doesn't bother me so much that I really notice it, otherwise I wouldn't have to go test it =P These actually don't isolate very much for an IEM, average at best, which might be why I don't really notice it.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #104 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinedon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have any of you HJE900 owners ever gone running while wearing them? The only thing that holds me back from purchasing these IEM's is my fear of bone conduction, that "thumping" noise I hear when I walk or run with other IEM's. It just bothers me so much.

Bone conduction happens with every IEM, so if you really care, I'd go looking for earbuds or portable headphones. For microphonics, its slightly above average if you go over the ear, but pretty good if you wear them over the ear, though you can't be too tall to wear them over the ear..

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #105 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this so called zirconium iem really that good? cause i might get one soon if it really is

It really is. Get a pair. Burn in slightly. Select preferred tips of choice. Connect to quality player w/high quality files loaded. Enjoy big grin.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back