Owners of HD650 AND HD600, which has more details and instrument separation?
Jan 28, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
The poll options only allow answering for either phone, so I can't really vote.

Doh! It didn't cross my mind to add that option.
redface.gif

I guess it was because I was soo determined one had more details over the other. But from what people are saying in this thread and the votes, I now see that its gonna be difficult for me to choose between the two based on the two criteria I've listed....

Quote:

With regard to your poll question, my answer was that both are similar enough in those regards.

Quote:

But if you asked me what my personal preference is, it's quite obviously the HD-650.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you !
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the HD600, and have long used them with a variety of cables and amps, so I know them well. But, the sad thing is I cannot detect this 'smoothness' and extra bass everyone attributes to the 650 - I have a REAL hard time telling the difference, save that extra grit / traction of the 600.

I'd have to say I feel the same way here. I just finished comparing the 580, 600 & 650 at the Dallas meet, and to me the differences are subtle. I do prefer the slightly more edgy sound of the 580/600. I also prefer Alex's mod on all three.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #19 of 66
If I were to go balanced, I think I'd most probably go to Alex for the re~cable.
wink.gif

Back to my HD6xx conundrum. The votes are exactly 50 -50 now.
I think I'm just gonna ask my dad's friend to get whichever he wants to. That way, it will keep me in suspense until I actually get it in my hands... LOL

*headache*

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were to go balanced, I think I'd most probably go to Alex for the re~cable.
wink.gif

Back to my HD6xx conundrum. The votes are exactly 50 -50 now.
I think I'm just gonna ask my dad's friend to get whichever he wants to. That way, it will keep me in suspense until I actually get it in my hands... LOL

*headache*

And then promptly get a balanced beta22. They're supposed to be incredible with the HD650
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #22 of 66
My vote goes to the HD 650. Now and then I appreciate the HD 600's snappiness and edginess, but every time I come back to the smoother and more refined characteristic of the HD 650. It is the one that offers clearly higher detail resolution and instrument separation to my ears -- be it with stock or aftermarket cables and with whatever amp (Corda HA-2 MkII, Aria, Opera, EMP...). I have a slight preference for the HD 600's bass characteristic, though, but only in terms of frequency response, not cleanness or definition. When it comes to the treble, the HD 650 has much higher resolution, greater extension and more sparkle.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then promptly get a balanced beta22. They're supposed to be incredible with the HD650
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I want a balanced Beta22 too! Apparently you have to build it by yourself, and I barely know how to use a multimeter.

I dying here with a balanced Equinox HD650LE cable and nothing to plug it into except a Raptor, Zana Deux and Lehmann Black Cube Linear using an adapter.

I have both the HD600 and HD650, but I haven't used the stock cable at all; I guess I can't vote.
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I have both the HD600 and HD650, but I haven't used the stock cable at all; I guess I can't vote.
frown.gif

Well, go put back the stock cables and do some listening then !
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Oh, and don't forget to reply my PM while you're at it!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Rockhopper Audio: Quality Headphone Amplifiers: Balanced β22

Now you have no excuse. I'm looking forward to your pictures.
biggrin.gif

It looks like a foosball table.
biggrin.gif

001-Foosball.jpg

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #26 of 66
I've compared the HD600 and the HD650 and prefer the HD600 over the 650.

While I would agree that the 650 does present a more refined upper range, I like the overall presentation the hd600 offers.

The bass on the HD600 is a bit leaner than the 650, but neither is lacking in any way.

I'll tip the scales for you now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Rockhopper Audio: Quality Headphone Amplifiers: Balanced β22

Now you have no excuse. I'm looking forward to your pictures.
biggrin.gif

Whew, fortunately it says "THE GROUP BUY ORDERING PHASE IS NOW CLOSED!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, go put back the stock cables and do some listening then !
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Oh, and don't forget to reply my PM while you're at it!
tongue.gif

But I can't stand the stock cables. Especially the HD600 one, it looks flimsy.
tongue.gif

YGPM, that was a long one.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #28 of 66
I can vouch that the balanced Beta22 sounded great with the hd600, well as far as SS amps go... but, they also hold much love for tubes...

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #29 of 66
Single ended, i like the HD600 better. I dont like the way the 650 sounds single ended.

Balanced can go either way. The 600 is not laidback. It sounds more reference to me than the 650. Sounds like front row seats and it's powerful. Because it's not dark like the 650, i think it gives a MUCH better first impression.

The 650 is better slightly and surprisingly disimilar in a few ways while keeping that Senn sound. It feels like you are back a few rows (but not strong & as far away vs a K701) and what comes with it is increased soundstage depth and ambience compared to the 600. The 650 darkness bothers me quite a bit...will it ever go away?

I'm sure my equipment is changing the presentation a lot so others may not hear the same thing.

Either way, im glad i have both. I would really have a hard time choosing one over the other. Forced single ended, id probably have to choose the 600.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #30 of 66
It really depends on your set up.

I thought the HD580/600s sounded much better than the HD650s... until I heard them with the right set up (see my signature) - which totally transformed the HD650s to a much clearer, faster, brighter, more detailed sound. Now they sound almost like Grados - and I have a difficult time choosing which I prefer... the HD580/600s or the HD650s.

But... without the right set up the HD580/600s do seem to sound clearer and more detailed than the HD650s... by a good bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back